inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Older folks' opinion of music in the '80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/13/06 at 5:41 pm

Talking about the White '80s made me think about this, which I know I've mentioned this on here before. There seemed to be alot of music in the '80s that, say a 35 or 40 year old could have enjoyed. Probably the more adult oriented stuff, or ballads (i.e. Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, Chicago, Journey). I'd probably put the line around 1943 born people.

My question is, what's your experience with this - either at the time, or what you've heard later? Were there any who thought every single thing on MTV was a mindless, stupid thing that wasn't around "in their day" (although that sounds more grandparent-ly)?

I've also said on here, how my parents are a little older, and they liked a decent amount of '80s music, so it was normal to me growing up. Looking at it later though, I can see how that may have not been typical (well, my mom is a 1954er, so that's probably not uncommon, but I'm sure there were other 1938ers my dad's age, who had stopped caring about pop culture by then).

Subject: Re: Older folks' opinion of music in the '80s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/06 at 7:13 pm

Not really sure Marty. My parent's were both born in the 60's so the 80's were "there time". My grandparents were born in 1940 and 1939 and they didn't like much 80's music though, except for maybe some 80's country.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/13/06 at 7:27 pm

^ That's true. I think alot of people born in the '60s dug the '80s, even if some of it wasn't quite their "teenage" time. People your grandparents' age are more who I guess I was thinking of - do you think they disliked it, or were just kinda "blah" in that they weren't fans, but had nothing against it either?

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/06 at 8:12 pm

I was born in 1962, I turned 44 today, and I am a Grand Parent.does
that qualify me as older? I was not to fond of 80's music.I don't wish
to debate it but to me the 80's ruined music.I like a lot of 80's bands
i.e. XTC,Split Enz,Dead Milkmen but in the 80's, bands stopped playing
music and started with drum machines and computers to make sounds.
Being a former drummer I just want the instruments and the notes, thats
why I prefer the music of the 70's than that of the 80's.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/13/06 at 8:15 pm

My parents were born in '49, so their teenage/early 20s were spent in the late 60s, so their knowledge of 80s music is just about nil.  In fact, I've never heard my parents listening to any music from the 80s unless it was an artist that was big in the preceding decades as well.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 1:02 am

My parents were born in '49, so their teenage/early 20s were spent in the late 60s, so their knowledge of 80s music is just about nil.  In fact, I've never heard my parents listening to any music from the 80s unless it was an artist that was big in the preceding decades as well.

Same with my parents...though my mum was born in 1957 she wasn't really in touch with 80s culture at all. I think it is the late Boomers and GenXers which really embraced 80s music, though there are some Gen-Y people who also have a lot of nostalgia for that period. Earlier boomers probably look down on the 80s for its superficiality, and lack of meaning.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 2:13 am

^ That's true. I think alot of people born in the '60s dug the '80s, even if some of it wasn't quite their "teenage" time. People your grandparents' age are more who I guess I was thinking of - do you think they disliked it, or were just kinda "blah" in that they weren't fans, but had nothing against it either?

It's like people born in the '80s are the real "'00s" people, even though those born in the early '90s are really the ones that identify with this decade most.  Of course, someone born in 1969 isn't going to be as fond of now, whereas someone born in the '70s just might be.  I think you have to be born at least 20 years before a decade begins to really hate it in a "grumpy old person" way.

Written By: OliverDK on 04/14/06 at 3:12 am

My mom was born in 1943 and not surprisingly she was (And is) mostly into music from the 60s and early 70s, but I do remember last time I lived at home that she would often come in and borrow my records, of cause mostly it was bands who had been around in her youth, she always did have a very open mind about music.

It has to be said though that most of my record collection in the 80s were metal, I know my mom liked Europe a lot, especially "Superstitious" and she can't get enough of certain songs by Elton John, even if she prefers the Diana-version of "Candle in the Wind" and I prefer the original.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 7:43 am

The sense I get is that the synthpop and some of the other blander '80s pop were well-liked, if kind of in a "those silly kids" way by people born 1935+. But look at Tipper Gore...the more "outlandish" '80s stuff like Madonna, Prince, rap, and hair metal was probably looked at as "the devil's music."

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 7:54 am

It's like people born in the '80s are the real "'00s" people, even though those born in the early '90s are really the ones that identify with this decade most.  Of course, someone born in 1969 isn't going to be as fond of now, whereas someone born in the '70s just might be.  I think you have to be born at least 20 years before a decade begins to really hate it in a "grumpy old person" way.

I don't hate the 2000s, and I was born 25 years before it started back in 2000.  I actually like the '00s a lot.  I'm still a relatively young man, and I know that these times won't last.  In 10 or 20 years, people will look at me as "an older man", and I don't look forward to that.  So I enjoy the '00s.  Plus in 2005 and 2006 I can reflect on the 1980s and it's sorta cool.  Do you think it will be the same type of cool for me to reflect on the 80s and 90s in 2025 when I'm 50?  Not likely. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 8:06 am

Talking about the White '80s made me think about this, which I know I've mentioned this on here before. There seemed to be alot of music in the '80s that, say a 35 or 40 year old could have enjoyed. Probably the more adult oriented stuff, or ballads (i.e. Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, Chicago, Journey). I'd probably put the line around 1943 born people.

My question is, what's your experience with this - either at the time, or what you've heard later? Were there any who thought every single thing on MTV was a mindless, stupid thing that wasn't around "in their day" (although that sounds more grandparent-ly)?

I've also said on here, how my parents are a little older, and they liked a decent amount of '80s music, so it was normal to me growing up. Looking at it later though, I can see how that may have not been typical (well, my mom is a 1954er, so that's probably not uncommon, but I'm sure there were other 1938ers my dad's age, who had stopped caring about pop culture by then).

Trust me they didn't like it.  You were there, you remember that a lot of them despised the music from the 80s and 90s.  Many people always laugh at the stuff that was around before them, and think it to be campy or stupid, or if entertaining but only entertaining in a dumb way.  Then a lot of people look down upon the stuff that happens later on, because some new kids came along and changed what they used to think of as cool.  Plus when you get older you can't be so constantly pop culture obsessed all the time.  You can't lead that under 25 lifestyle forever.  Life DEMANDs you take on more responsiblities and grow up, and move on.  People may resent the fact that they can't always pay attention to the latest cool group that came out, because they are forced to become adults.  Though a lot of Gen Xers have been managing to be responsible adults, but not too uncool 30 somethings at the same time,...though it's a daunting feat.  Some people are forced to grow up as early as teenage years, if they have kids or something.   

Written By: robby76 on 04/14/06 at 8:33 am

My Mum (born in 1940) used to love Julio and Tina Turner in the 80s and my Dad (a '36er) liked Sheena Easton... ha ha!

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 9:29 am

My Mom was born in 1949 so she was in her 30s in the '80s. She seems to like a decent amount of '80s music. My dad doesn't really care a lot about music so it's hard to tell with him. They were still pretty young in the '80s since a lot of people in their 30s are still into current pop culture.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/06 at 9:35 am

The sense I get is that the synthpop and some of the other blander '80s pop were well-liked, if kind of in a "those silly kids" way by people born 1935+. But look at Tipper Gore...the more "outlandish" '80s stuff like Madonna, Prince, rap, and hair metal was probably looked at as "the devil's music."

Yeah, I would say 1937-50 born folks could go either way, depending on the person. There's at least a chance they liked (or accepted) some of it, just from being no more than 18 when rock and roll originally took off in the '50s.

When you get to those born around 1925 or 1930 -- someone who was 50 or over in the '80s, that's when you started encountering the "What the h*ll is this noisy, computerized cr@p music? We didn't have this in our day and we didn't waste all our time at the mall at their age!" mindset.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/14/06 at 9:49 am

I misunderstood the topic.I thought you wanted older folks opinion,not
childrens opinion of what they think their parents opinion would be.Now
that I understand,my father, born in '38 and my mother, born in '40 think
'80s music is crap as well as '70s and '60s music.that is what I think,they think.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/06 at 10:00 am

Trust me they didn't like it.  You were there, you remember that a lot of them despised the music from the 80s and 90s.  Many people always laugh at the stuff that was around before them, and think it to be campy or stupid, or if entertaining but only entertaining in a dumb way.  Then a lot of people look down upon the stuff that happens later on, because some new kids came along and changed what they used to think of as cool.  Plus when you get older you can't be so constantly pop culture obsessed all the time.  You can't lead that under 25 lifestyle forever.  Life DEMANDs you take on more responsiblities and grow up, and move on.  People may resent the fact that they can't always pay attention to the latest cool group that came out, because they are forced to become adults.  Though a lot of Gen Xers have been managing to be responsible adults, but not too uncool 30 somethings at the same time,...though it's a daunting feat.  Some people are forced to grow up as early as teenage years, if they have kids or something.   

Oh yeah, I definitely can attest to alot of them being completely blindsided by '90s stuff like Gangsta rap or just the general teen culture. Even though I liked a good deal of that, I actually could kinda understand how they would've viewed Pearl Jam or Metallica as "just noise".

I can't imagine someone saying that about Phil Collins in 1985, unless they were just a total blowharded old grump, but I could be wrong. Perhaps some of the heavy metal or whatnot, but most of the adults I recall growing up in the '80s tended to be cool with the Top 40 stuff.

I think there's two different kinds of fandom. One is the casual kind - where you'll listen to a song if it's on the radio and maybe enjoy it a bit, for instance. Two, is where you're just a freakin' die hard addict, and try to get every possible bit of information about something. Now, a 40 year old in 1985, etc. would probably fall into category 1. Not the "watch MTV for 5 hours a day" fan, but perhaps a semi fan.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/06 at 10:09 am

Are you older? Not really, not at all infact.

While most of the decade wasn't quite your teenage time, you were still a young guy around age 18-27, so that's still pretty much in the pop culture realm of liking new stuff.

Heck, from a purely timewise perspective, I can parallel that with me - I was born in 1981, and even though I'm attached way more to the '80s and (most of) the '90s, I still like some of today's stuff. Oh, not as much as pre-1998 and I doubt I ever will, but here and there, some of it is still cool. I'm not completely stuck in my childhood/very early teenage era, even though it's my favorite time.

I do see what you mean about '80s music, but I think those songs were/are too catchy to dislike.

Happy birthday, btw. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 04/14/06 at 10:13 am

Happy birthday, btw. :)

Thank You.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/14/06 at 10:25 am

As I have stated in an earlier post my parents think the 60s,70s,80s
music is crap.This because, my father was a Glenn Miller fan, if it
wasn't Big Band it wasn't music, my mother was an Elvis fan and if it
wasn't Elvis it wasn't music.I don't think it was the music they hated
so much but the persona of the artist.Rock and Roll stopped being
clean cut and turned into a grunge, hippie play it loud style of music.
I think the change was to drastic and to quick for them to adapt to
the "new" style.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/06 at 10:31 am

^ True, I can see that. You're saying they felt the music itself was okay, but they didn't like the image or lifestyle of certain artists?

BTW the more I think about it, the more I realized, I must have grown up around very accepting/cool folks, LOL. It wasn't just my parents and family members, but from the best of my recollection, alot of our family friends and such, seemed to like or at least occasionally listen to new music at the time. So that really never struck me as unusual.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/06 at 10:35 am

Okay, I know I'm starting to hijack this thread, LOL - but yeah, I can see that. I'm guessing they were very attached to the '60s, so they perhaps just didn't pay as much attention once the '80s rolled around. Even if they didn't necesarilly dislike it, per se.

Yeah, there were alot of '60s/70s artists with new/comeback hits in the '80s. I'm thinking this probably helped certain older folks enjoy it. I'm talking about songs like "Say Say Say" by Paul McCartney, "Abracadabra" by Steve Miller, "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner, "We Built This City", etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 10:42 am

My parents were 29 in 1984 (the peak '80s) and they were semi-"yuppies" living in Manhattan on the Upper East Side at the time. I've talked to my mom about '80s culture, and while it certainly isn't "her" culture, I think she liked alot of '80s stuff, particularly Madonna, Michael Jackson, and some MTV pop like the Buggles...it takes a little bit of "pushing" to get what she remembers about the '80s out of her, though. I know my mom watched MTV with me when I was really little and she was at home with me.

I can see definitely how "older folks" would dislike the '90s more and even '80s people would hate the '90s. The '90s is such a different village from the '80s, with its R&B, acoustic noise alt rock and singer-songwriters, and gangsta rap.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/06 at 12:16 pm

They may have disliked it since there a little bit more old fashoined(50's and maybe some early 60's stuff) but I dont think they had anything really against it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 1:21 pm

I don't hate the 2000s, and I was born 25 years before it started back in 2000.  I actually like the '00s a lot.  I'm still a relatively young man, and I know that these times won't last.  In 10 or 20 years, people will look at me as "an older man", and I don't look forward to that.  So I enjoy the '00s.  Plus in 2005 and 2006 I can reflect on the 1980s and it's sorta cool.  Do you think it will be the same type of cool for me to reflect on the 80s and 90s in 2025 when I'm 50?  Not likely. 

I like the '00s too. They're not the best decade, but I think by the late 2010s they will have a charm of their own.  They feel like a "decade", even more the '90s did. We've really got take advantage of them, because as of now all of the 20th Century is still very recent.  There are people alive today, believe it or not, that were born in the 1800s.  Even the '70s could be remembered vaguely by a person under 35. Plus, the '80s and '90s, while old school to many are still very, VERY recent. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 3:36 pm

Happy (belated) Birthday-and applause for the occasion.

I am in the same age group as you are. Being born in the 60s, I was part of the first MTV generation (when MTV was good). In terms of my parents (my mother and step-dad) liking 80s music? I really can't say because I don't know if they ever HEARD any of the 80s music. I was already out of the house by then and they only listened to what I refered to as "Old Fogy Music"-AKA musak, elevator music, whatever you want to call it.  ::) My dad on the other hand-well, I don't know if has listened to 80s music but he is more "up" on "modern" music than my mother is. However, a few years ago, my cousin was getting married in L.A. My brother was so excited because he was going to stay at the "Hotel California" and made a comment to my dad about it. Dad just said, "Yeah, so..?" My brother said, "Different generation."

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 2:54 pm

I am in the same age group as you are. Being born in the 60s, I was part of the first MTV generation (when MTV was good). In terms of my parents (my mother and step-dad) liking 80s music? I really can't say because I don't know if they ever HEARD any of the 80s music. I was already out of the house by then and they only listened to what I refered to as "Old Fogy Music"-AKA musak, elevator music, whatever you want to call it.  ::) My dad on the other hand-well, I don't know if has listened to 80s music but he is more "up" on "modern" music than my mother is. However, a few years ago, my cousin was getting married in L.A. My brother was so excited because he was going to stay at the "Hotel California" and made a comment to my dad about it. Dad just said, "Yeah, so..?" My brother said, "Different generation."

Cat

Wow, so your dad was already way out of the loop by 1976? It's odd that a song which today would be perceived as classic rock, perhaps even approaching oldies, would, to him (and perhaps others his age) still be looked at as "cr*p from the younger generation". ;D

I sometimes feel like certain music and popular culture has just been so immersed into people's minds that you couldn't possibly not know about it. However, I guess for those who don't watch alot of TV (there are some), or listen to radio or go online, it is possible to stay in a bubble of sorts.

P.S. Just wondering for the purpose of this thread, how old is he? It would be interesting if he's any younger than my dad -- who as I've mentioned, is a '38er and likes about 25-35% of '80s music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 3:17 pm

I like the '00s too. They're not the best decade, but I think by the late 2010s they will have a charm of their own.  They feel like a "decade", even more the '90s did. We've really got take advantage of them, because as of now all of the 20th Century is still very recent.  There are people alive today, believe it or not, that were born in the 1800s.  Even the '70s could be remembered vaguely by a person under 35. Plus, the '80s and '90s, while old school to many are still very, VERY recent. 

Good thinking - I agree, because every time I start getting sad or even ticked off that "oh, 1994 was 12 years ago" or "it s*cks that I'm not 10 anymore and can't just pick up the new Nintendo Power magazine full of stuff I'm familar with", I have to remind myself that, as a whole, the '80s and '90s, even the '70s, are still very close to us in the grand scheme of things.

And, that -- like anything else -- won't last forever either.

For instance, I can still go to almost any Goodwill shop and find shirts from 1994, or a huge assortment of audio tapes, VCRs, computers, boomboxes, etc that are from the '80s, relatively easy. That probably won't be the case by 2040 or 2050.

I think we all tend to look at things from the past, just by kneejerk reaction. Let's face it, time only moves one way, so we always see stuff slowly getting further away that we're familar with. But yeah, I do realize that, if the '00s suddenly disappeared (let's say there was this MAJOR pop cultural or technological revolution tomorrow, and not that much was relevant anymore), I would miss them.

I still like some things we have now. As long as I don't compare it to when I was 7 or when I was 12, etc. I find that I can like it alot more. And in the future, yeah I bet I'll look back on the '00s fondly, just from being stilll a relatively young guy from age 18-27/28.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/06 at 3:20 pm

Wow, so your dad was already way out of the loop by 1976? It's odd that a song which today would be perceived as classic rock, perhaps even approaching oldies, would, to him (and perhaps others his age) still be looked at as "cr*p from the younger generation". ;D

I sometimes feel like certain music and popular culture has just been so immersed into people's minds that you couldn't possibly not know about it. However, I guess for those who don't watch alot of TV (there are some), or listen to radio or go online, it is possible to stay in a bubble of sorts.

P.S. Just wondering for the purpose of this thread, how old is he? It would be interesting if he's any younger than my dad -- who as I've mentioned, is a '38er and likes about 25-35% of '80s music.

Several years back, I called my dad on his birthday. He said that he was thinking of a Beatles' song. I said, "You say it's your birthday". He said, "No, 'When I'm 64'". (You can guess what # birthday it was). Yes, he does know the Beatles-but we are talking about 20 years difference (i.e. 60s vs. 80s) For the record, he is now 73. As for going on-line, he knows more about computers than I do, so I don't think he is "out-of-the loop" in that reguard. But, I don't think he listens to contempory music.  He may have heard music of the 80s and not know songs/artists. He has his radio set for NPR.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 3:25 pm

^ Oh, that makes sense (cool story, btw). :)

I guess he was born around 1933, meaning he would've almost been 50 when MTV took off, so I can understand that. And I do think having a computer is almost as common as having a TV now, in the sense that it's not just a technological luxury.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/15/06 at 3:33 pm

Good thinking - I agree, because every time I start getting sad or even ticked off that "oh, 1994 was 12 years ago" or "it s*cks that I'm not 10 anymore and can't just pick up the new Nintendo Power magazine full of stuff I'm familar with", I have to remind myself that, as a whole, the '80s and '90s, even the '70s, are still very close to us in the grand scheme of things.

For instance, I can still go to almost any Goodwill shop and find shirts from 1994, or a huge assortment of audio tapes, VCRs, computers, boomboxes, etc that are from the '80s, relatively easy. That probably won't be the case by 2040 or 2050.

I think we all tend to look at things from the past, just by kneejerk reaction. Let's face it, time only moves one way, so we always see stuff slowly getting further away that we're familar with. But yeah, I do realize that, if the '00s suddenly disappeared (let's say there was this MAJOR pop cultural or technological revolution tomorrow, and not that much was relevant anymore), I would miss them.

I still like some things we have now. As long as I don't compare it to when I was 7 or when I was 12, etc. I find that I can like it alot more. And in the future, yeah I bet I'll look back on the '00s fondly, just from being stilll a relatively young guy from age 18-27/28.

I agree.  At least the people of the '80s and '90s aren't old, you know what I mean?  For instance, it's much cooler to be 25, 30, or even 40 and talk about back in the day then for grandparents to talk about back in the day.  And believe me, in as soon as 15-20 years, the '80s will be grandpa's time, and the '90s too only about 10 years after that. Sadly enough  :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 3:37 pm

^Well, they'll be a "cooler" grandpa's time no matter what, but I know what you mean.

I think the '50s are on the fence right now, but are starting to become grandparent-ish. The '60s even, still feel way too recent for that. I guess it's like 50-60 years for stuff to really feel "old" in that sense.

I'm sure that in 2030 the '80s will still be looked at as cooler than the '40s were in the '70s, or the '50s in the '80s, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/15/06 at 3:39 pm

^Well, they'll be a "cooler" grandpa's time no matter what, but I know what you mean.

I think the '50s are on the fence right now, but are starting to become grandparent-ish. The '60s even, still feel way too recent for that. I guess it's like 50-60 years for stuff to really feel "old" in that sense.

I'm sure that in 2030 the '80s will still be looked at as cooler than the '40s were in the '70s, or the '50s in the '80s, etc.

Oh yeah.  Besides, I'm sure the people of the '80s will be with us, at least some of them, as late as the 2070s at least.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 3:46 pm

Oh yeah.  Besides, I'm sure the people of the '80s will be with us, at least some of them, as late as the 2070s at least.

Yeah. If the lifespan right now (providing diseases and such don't crop up and you're relatively healthy, etc) is 80-90, imagine what it'll be by then. I wouldn't be surprised if, say those your age and perhaps mine too, lived to 110ish.

I was thinking also, at what age do you think it generally stops being "cool" to talk about stuff from your past? I think when you're 18, 20, 25, hell even probably up to 35-40 and you're talking about it to some kid, it has this air of "older buddy-ness" to it. As if you're talking about an older version of something cool that they to could relat to. But when you're 50 or 60, it may come off to them as "back in my day"-type rambling.

Even going by that, if '80s teens are roughly 33-42 or so right now, it'll still be cool in a sense, for 10-15 more years. And around 25 more years for "80s kids".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/06 at 3:50 pm

^ Oh, that makes sense (cool story, btw). :)

I guess he was born around 1933, meaning he would've almost been 50 when MTV took off, so I can understand that. And I do think having a computer is almost as common as having a TV now, in the sense that it's not just a technological luxury.

One thing I do have to say about my dad, at my wedding (a couple of years ago), he was "kickin' up his heels". I watch the videos and laugh at him TRYING to do the Macerana. He also danced with me to Van Morrison's Brown-Eyed Girl. I would say for being 73 years old, he is pretty "hip".

FYI, my husband is one of the oldest board members. He doesn't really know 80s music (in terms of names/artists) but he does listen to it with me. The only time he complains when I "crank" certain songs.  ;)  Some songs just HAVE to be played LOUD!!! And he does agree with that but sometimes, I raise the volume just a bit too much.

Cat

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/15/06 at 10:06 pm

This is exactly I still don't mind the '00s at all.  Do I enjoy it like a teenager?  No, but the '00s are an outgrowth of the 90s and I still like it enough and think it's pretty cool.  It's familiar enough territory for me.  The '00s are probably the last decade I can at least pretend to be part of the young jet set crowd, even though I'm already 30.  People tend to think I'm 24 or 25.  Hey I'm enjoying this while it lasts.  One day it WILL be 2025, 2040 or 2050 and the 80s and 90s will be such a distant memory, people will actually look to Donnie Darko here as some kind of authority on the late 20th century, just because he was alive for the last 10 years of it.  And they would probably think the early 21st century wasn't too different anyway.  Probably sooner then we all think.  We reminisce about the 80s like it's so long ago, but in cosmic terms, where we deal with millions and millions of years, 17-26 years ago is absolutely nothing.   

Written By: loki 13 on 04/15/06 at 10:08 pm

Cat

Thanks for the birthday wishes Cat,

I had a similar situation with my father, my brother and I were talking about the
meaning of Hotel California and my father asked if it was a new chain of hotels
opening up.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/15/06 at 10:25 pm

I don't know what happened with the generations, like I stated earlier about my
parents, if it isn't Glen Miller or Elvis it isn't music, so my parents never shared my
musical taste.On the contrary, I listen to my son's music, he's 16.I don't like all
of it but he turned me on to some good bands and I turned him on to some
better bands.He likes punk so I searched through my collection and gave him
some good titles.

To be fair about my first assessment of 80,s music, I actually like it better now
then I did in the 80's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 10:26 pm

The '50s are like grandparentish right now, I think...for younger kids, definitely. It'll be the grandparents decade for 2010s teens. Most Elvis people are aging to that point, definitely.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 10:38 pm

I don't know what happened with the generations, like I stated earlier about my
parents, if it isn't Glen Miller or Elvis it isn't music, so my parents never shared my
musical taste.On the contrary, I listen to my son's music, he's 16.I don't like all
of it but he turned me on to some good bands and I turned him on to some
better bands.He likes punk so I searched through my collection and gave him
some good titles.

To be fair about my first assessment of 80,s music, I actually like it better now
then I did in the 80's.

I feel the same way about quite a bit of '90s music. I guess when something isn't around anymore, we tend to miss it or like it more.

That's cool that you and your son are into some of the same stuff. Honestly, I never had too much of a barrier with things either - sure, I did grow up on '80s music, but I like stuff as far back as the '50s, and some '00s as well. As far as generationally, I got most of my stuff early on, from my mom (80s especially). My dad liked some of it too, but I probably got into the "older" stuff from him more (i.e. The Beatles).

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/06 at 11:53 pm

My mom likes 80's music, and sometimes she knows many of the songs which I talk about, but not by title, so she's often asking me the names of songs she hears on the radio.

Usually when I'm in the car and she is with me, I pop in an 80's mix tape that I have made, and she'll recognize every song (again by ear, but not by artist or title)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 9:26 am

I think with every generation, the epoch they feel most closely tied to/identify with is the epoch they lived in when they were in their late teens/early twenties. Like most peak Boomers (late 40s/early 50s) identified with the late 60s Rock/pop, while those born during WWII and before probably identified more with Mod-culture, early British Invasion/Merseybeat, early Motown, Jazz, Blues. The parents of boomers and hippies probably listened to stuff like Glenn Miller, Woody Herman, Judy Garland, even early Sinatra, blues greats like B.B.King, Muddy Waters, as well as bluegrass.etc folk in the vein of Woody Guthrie. But then again, since the core audience of 50's rock and roll were teens, they would also have identified with music from that era.

So in effect what I'm saying is the earliest people still in touch with 80s music are the Baby Boomers. Bands like the Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, the Eagles.etc thrived well into the 80s, so I'd say anyone born after WWII would identify with anything up to the 80s. I'll put the gulf around 1942-1952 (transition period).

But I'm probably over-analyzing this way too much.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/17/06 at 6:06 am

I still think Elvis is corrupting our society.

Check for new replies or respond here...