inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just 80's

Written By: T on 04/14/06 at 12:31 am

The 80's is by far my favorite decade, but there are other decades I like for example the 1930's and 1940's fashion and even some the music from those times. Another reason I like the 30's and 40's is because some of the 80's fashions orginated from that time, such as the shoulder pads look of the late 30's and 40's. What are other decades you'll like besides the 80's 

Subject: Re: Just 80's

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 1:04 am

80s are my second least favourite of the latter 20th century decades (1950-2000) after maybe the boring old 50s. They were interesting, but had alot of really cheesy music - i.e. Meatloaf, Flock of Seagulls.etc. The fashion was pretty bad as well. My favourite decade is probably the 90s, followed by the 60s.

Written By: OliverDK on 04/14/06 at 4:07 am

Think of it like this; which era would you visit if given a one trip in a time machine; for me it's really a no-brainer, it would be 1969 and for two reasons
1) I would get to be at Woodstock
2) I would get to live through the 70s.

Written By: robby76 on 04/14/06 at 4:48 am

Fave decade after the 80s??? Why it's the 70s... ha ha!  :D

Love the bright breezy Americana feel to it... the rollerskating, the music, the flares!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 7:05 am

Think of it like this; which era would you visit if given a one trip in a time machine; for me it's really a no-brainer, it would be 1969 and for two reasons
1) I would get to be at Woodstock
2) I would get to live through the 70s.

I'd go back to 1963. Then I'd live through Beatlamania and the Monterey Pop Festival.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 7:29 am

Fave decade after the 80s??? Why it's the 70s... ha ha!  :D

Love the bright breezy Americana feel to it... the rollerskating, the music, the flares!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about "bright breezy Americana feel" to the 70s.  Especially the late 70s when things started to brighten up a bit and the darker tones of the early 70s started to fade away (i.e., Vietnam, Watergate and high gas prices).  The mid-late 70s seemed very Americana, very breezy and a strong sense of fun.  A lot of the campy and horrid fashions came back into style during the 90s and are still around in 2006, so when you look back on the 70s, there is this strong air of retro cool to it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 7:31 am

I know EXACTLY what you mean about "bright breezy Americana feel" to the 70s.  Especially the late 70s when things started to brighten up a bit and the darker tones of the early 70s started to fade away (i.e., Vietnam, Watergate and high gas prices).  The mid-late 70s seemed very Americana, very breezy and a strong sense of fun.  A lot of the campy and horrid fashions came back into style during the 90s and are still around in 2006, so when you look back on the 70s, there is this strong air of retro cool to it.

Yeah, the 70s looked like one big amusement park. Everyone dressed in gaudy, colourful fashion, and teen pop stars sung about sunshine and lolli-pops. Ironically, the 70s were far from happy times in other aspects.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 7:37 am

Yeah, the 70s looked like one big amusement park. Everyone dressed in gaudy, colourful fashion, and teen pop stars sung about sunshine and lolli-pops. Ironically, the 70s were far from happy times in other aspects.

The '70s were like that, but it was because it was created by "me" generation baby boom young adults who saw (and to a certain extent still see) the whole world as an amusement park. The Americana came back into fashion in the mid-late '70s with the bicentennial...there was this very classic, fun, hot dogs and July 4th and "American girls" feel to the '70s, though in reality the '70s was seeing the disintegration of alot of older parts of American society. Just proves that culture oftentimes tries to contradict reality...even if the '70s were still just about the most fun decade in some ways.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 7:48 am

Which is why I said the "bright, breezy and Americana" feel to the 70s was more the late 70s when things started to look up and the 80s were around the corner. The first half of the 1970s were very dark and miserable times for the country.  Darker, and meaner then anything that happened in the 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...