inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: FAVORITE EDDIE MURPHY FILM OF THE 80S

Written By: lleelee on 04/15/06 at 12:34 am

Ok this is an easy poll question. For me it would always be COMING TO AMERICA, BEVERLY HILLS COP (83)  a close second. Least favorite the THE GOLDEN CHILD. You know he did a movie called 'BEST DEFENSE' with Dudley Moore. I dont think I ever seen it. Have you?

Subject: Re: FAVORITE EDDIE MURPHY FILM OF THE 80S

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/06 at 12:38 am

My favourite is Beverly Hills Cop II.  The original was good too, but I liked PArt II better becuase Axel already knew Rosewood and Taggart, so it was kind of like the Three Musketeers 8)

You know he did a movie called 'BEST DEFENSE' with Dudley Moore. I dont think I ever seen it. Have you?

I bought Best Defense on DVD for $6.88 at Wal-Mart.  I enjoyed it, but I can see why it was a huge flop at the box office.  On an old episode of Saturday Night Live, Eddie Murphy returned as guest host, and talked about how much of a disaster Best Defense was.  He said that if you'd seen the money they offered to do Best Defense, you would have done Best Defense too ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/15/06 at 9:09 am

Trading Places

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/06 at 2:15 pm

One of my all-time favorite movies-Trading Places.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 04/15/06 at 5:34 pm

Trading Places....also one of my favorite movies.

Written By: rich1981 on 04/15/06 at 7:56 pm

I saw Trading Places in my 12th grade economics class and really liked it, therefore my favorite.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/17/06 at 9:01 pm

One of my all-time favorite movies-Trading Places.

Another vote for "Trading Places".

"Let's kick some a*butt*ss."

In the 80s, I though it was just a really fun movie.  Now that I'm older, wiser, and a little wealthier, I've also come to understand that the underlying premise of the movie -- that *anyone* (regardless of upbringing) can learn to make a living in the markets -- is true. 

Sell when everyone's buying.  Buy when everyone's selling.  ("Buy on rumor, sell on news")

(Watch the last scenes of the movie and imagine you didn't know a thing about what Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd were trading on.  Just pretend you're one of the "extras" in the pit.  Look who's cool and collected, trading rationally.  Look who's panicking.  Do what _doesn't_ come naturally to most people :-)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/20/06 at 4:39 am

Top 5 Eddie Murphy movies:
5. Golden Child
4. Beverly Hills Cop
3. 48 Hours
2. Coming To America
AND! The Top Eddie Murphy movie:
1. Harlem Nights, done in 1989, co-starring the late greats Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx.

Written By: aten on 04/21/06 at 3:05 am

:) Trading Places, by far one of the best movies ever made.
;) Coming To America, still funnier than all heck
:D Beverly Hills Cop, the banana in the tailpipe
:o The Golden Child was pretty lame except for the Numsee part

Written By: Webstor on 04/21/06 at 6:22 am

Trading Places, Coming to America, and The Golden Child

His work since 1991 has been, lets say.......not ao good.

Check for new replies or respond here...