inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Purple Rain' by Prince, most overrated song ever

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/17/06 at 7:08 am

I just listened to Prince's 'Purple Rain' again and...have re-confirmed my opinion it is one of the most overrated songs of the 80s, along with Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the U.S.A.'. A two-chord chorus, cheesy MIDI instrumentation...Ah, I hate Prince anyway.

Subject: Re: 'Purple Rain' by Prince, most overrated song ever

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 7:17 am

How can you hate Prince!? I suppose he's a love or hate sorta guy, though...

I think that song is the weakest on the Purple Rain CD, though..."When Doves Cry" is by far the best, followed closely by "Let's Go Crazy", "I Would Die 4 U", and "Darling Nikki."

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/17/06 at 7:29 am

I really can't stand most of the few songs of his I've heard. 'When Doves Cry' isn't much my cuppa tea.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 8:29 am

I really can't stand most of the few songs of his I've heard. 'When Doves Cry' isn't much my cuppa tea.

He's definitely "love him or hate him", I'd have to say. But his catalogue is so huge and varied you can't just decide about him immediately.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/17/06 at 10:28 am

He's definitely "love him or hate him", I'd have to say. But his catalogue is so huge and varied you can't just decide about him immediately.

To me he'll always be a pale imitation of the King of Pop - Michael Jackson!  :D (not that I'm a huge M.J. fan, well maybe his Jackson 5 stuff)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/17/06 at 12:01 pm

How can you hate Prince!? I suppose he's a love or hate sorta guy, though...

I think that song is the weakest on the Purple Rain CD, though..."When Doves Cry" is by far the best, followed closely by "Let's Go Crazy", "I Would Die 4 U", and "Darling Nikki."

He's definitely a musician I totally love. Playing PURPLE RAIN right now. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 1:46 pm

To me he'll always be a pale imitation of the King of Pop - Michael Jackson!  :D (not that I'm a huge M.J. fan, well maybe his Jackson 5 stuff)

Oh, that shows you don't know Prince....he's absolutely nothing like Michael Jackson. I personally think his songs are better, he's darker and more varied, and he's an excellent songwriter and performer. He plays 26 instruments, for god's sakes.

Written By: Chasey on 04/19/06 at 4:06 pm

Don't know about the most overrated song ever - that goes to Britney's 'Hit Me Baby', but 'Purple Rain' is certainly overrated.

Being honest, 'Purple Rain' just is not a very good son.  I'd place it in the same category as Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer',  songs that go on and on endlessly without ever getting to the point

And in both cases the popularity of both songs owed much to the quality of video production.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 5:22 pm

I agree, "Purple Rain" is kind of bland.  Prince is pretty good though, he's like a genius of camp.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 10:42 am

I agree, "Purple Rain" is kind of bland.  Prince is pretty good though, he's like a genius of camp.

I don't get that whole ambiguous/androgynous white/black, straight/gay thing he's got going. It's like he wants to be five personas in one. Trying to be chameleon-like like Bowie...

Written By: Kenosha on 04/21/06 at 3:58 pm

The Purple Rain album is one of my favorite albums. I can listen to the whole thing without skipping any songs.

Written By: stingr22 on 04/21/06 at 4:05 pm

Although Purple Rain is not one of my favorite Prince songs, I don't know if I would call it "most overrated ever."

I would reserve that for "Chariots Of Fire" by Vangelis.  How did that song ever hit the pop charts anyway, let alone hit number 1?  ???

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 8:54 pm

Although Purple Rain is not one of my favorite Prince songs, I don't know if I would call it "most overrated ever."

I would reserve that for "Chariots Of Fire" by Vangelis.  How did that song ever hit the pop charts anyway, let alone hit number 1?  ???

Hey, Chariots is one of the few songs I can play on the piano from memory! Don't start knocking Chariots...

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/06 at 1:47 am

One of the most overrated songs of the 80's is "Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)" by Glass Tiger.  It's a great song and I really like it alot, but (based on American charts) it was such a monstrous hit, that no one ever remembers the other hits that Glass Tiger has had. 

In Canada, it's different because Glass Tiger more hits than what America and the rest of the world got, so you'll never hear a Canadian say "What was that 1 hit Glass Tiger were famous for" ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:18 pm

I don't get that whole ambiguous/androgynous white/black, straight/gay thing he's got going. It's like he wants to be five personas in one. Trying to be chameleon-like like Bowie...

He's definitely a weirdo.  Then again, so is MJ  ;D  But both are brilliant in their own way.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 3:20 pm

His music is certainly more than camp, it's groundbreaking.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:22 pm

His music is certainly more than camp, it's groundbreaking.

It's groundbreaking, but campy at the same time.  I actually think the genius of Prince is more in his image and style than his music.  Also, his ability at writing songs is amazing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 3:24 pm

It's groundbreaking, but campy at the same time.  I actually think the genius of Prince is more in his image and style than his music.  Also, his ability at writing songs is amazing.

Somewhat, of course. His campiness is part of his genius...but I personally think his genius is evident in his music.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:26 pm

Somewhat, of course. His campiness is part of his genius...but I personally think his genius is evident in his music.

The way he makes music is definitely brilliant.  I'd say my style of music/style is in some ways like his.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 10:56 pm

He's definitely a weirdo.  Then again, so is MJ  ;D  But both are brilliant in their own way.

How much of his weirdness is 'put on', do you think?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 10:59 pm

I think he's sort of a strange person, in the first place...he definitely doesn't have a concrete, grounded definition of himself. Though he's certainly healthier and more self-sustaining, and more egotistical, than most rock stars. I think he puts on weirdness when he's going through a personal/creative crisis, like he was in the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 11:17 pm

I think he's truly weird.  I also think Michael Jackson is truly weird, but in a sense I think Prince is weirder, because MJ to me smacks more of insanity whereas Prince, while I'm sure is somewhat mental, seems more naturally strange.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 11:20 pm

I think he's truly weird.  I also think Michael Jackson is truly weird, but in a sense I think Prince is weirder, because MJ to me smacks more of insanity whereas Prince, while I'm sure is somewhat mental, seems more naturally strange.

Prince is nutty but utterly healthy, rather than insane. He is calculated though, in a sort of mastermind-y, Lex Luthor way...not as much as Madonna. But he's said he's planned things before, using his vast talent to construct one of many statements he could construct. Like he designed Purple Rain to make him a superstar. He's also had more genuine control of his talent than MJ. But all three '80s superstars were calculated, to a degree.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 11:22 pm

Prince is nutty but utterly healthy, rather than insane. He is calculated though, in a sort of mastermind-y, Lex Luthor way...not as much as Madonna. But he's said he's planned things before, using his vast talent to construct one of many statements he could construct. Like he designed Purple Rain to make him a superstar. He's also had more genuine control of his talent than MJ. But all three '80s superstars were calculated, to a degree.

Prince chooses to be weird.  That's not to say he's not genuinely weird, he definitely is, but he could be normal if he wanted to.  Michael Jackson is simply weird by nature.  Madonna is simply a businesswoman.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 11:23 pm

Prince chooses to be weird.  That's not to say he's not genuinely weird, he definitely is, but he could be normal if he wanted to.  Michael Jackson is simply weird by nature.  Madonna is simply a businesswoman.

MJ is weird but not aware of it. Prince is aware of it and loves it. Madonna is a businesswoman and excellent performer/songwriter. All three are quite talented, though Prince's talent is the most consumnate.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/25/06 at 5:40 am

I think he certainly took a page out of David Bowie's book (and other eccentrics like Love's 'Arthur Lee' and Marc Bolan from T.Rex), though I don't know much about Prince himself. Bowie is actually quite a conventional and boring sort of character, but he tries (probably too hard) to be strange.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/25/06 at 9:51 am

I think he certainly took a page out of David Bowie (and other eccentrics like Love's 'Arthur Lee' and Marc Bolan from T.Rex), though I don't know much about Prince himself. Bowie is actually quite a conventional and boring sort of character, but he tries (probably too hard) to be strange.

I'm not that fascinated with Bowie, I have to say....

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/25/06 at 10:33 pm

I'm not that fascinated with Bowie, I have to say....

I share your sentiments...

But at least Bowie's got two different coloured eyes!

Written By: Kryllith on 04/26/06 at 9:13 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Bobby on 05/02/06 at 7:48 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...