inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overrated Songs of the '80s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 5:27 pm

There are many songs from the 1980s that I find overrated, even if I like them.

"True", Spandau Ballet: A good song, but it's kind of cheesy and extremely repetitive
"West End Girls", Pet Shop Boys: Probably one of PSB's worst songs, at least out of their more popular ones.
Just about any Duran Duran song
"Money for Nothing", Dire Straits: Not a fan.  Personally I like "Walk of Life" better.
"Don't You Forget About Me", Simple Minds: A really, really good song, but there's something missing about it.  As much as I like it, I find it overrated. 
Anything by Men at Work.  They're okay, I just find them yawn-inducing.
"Purple Rain", Prince.  Trimac mentioned this one in a different thread, and I agree.
"Walk This Way", Run DMC-Aerosmith.  Overrated in how big a deal it is.  Aerosmith weren't cool anymore, even in the '80s.

Subject: Re: Overrated Songs of the '80s

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/06 at 7:51 pm

anything by Prince, and/or anything from a Heavy Metal artist.  All this hype over songs that I never even liked

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/19/06 at 10:15 pm

I agree about Duran Duran.  I remember thinking they were cheesy and stupid even back in the 80s  *ducks flying objects*  

The only Duran Duran songs I ever liked came from their comeback album in 1993.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/19/06 at 11:19 pm

Men @ Work - Be Good Johnny.

Even today all you hear on classic rock stations are the words "Be Good Be Good" repeated 120 times enough to make you break something!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/06 at 11:23 pm

Even today all you hear on classic rock stations are the words "Be Good Be Good" repeated 120 times enough to make you break something!  :o

That certainly is one song I can definately live without.  The Americans lucked out as Be Good Johnny was not a hit in the US pop charts, meanwhile here in Canada, it was a massive hit >:(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/19/06 at 11:24 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: woops on 04/19/06 at 11:28 pm

Anything Journey

"We Are The World" USA For Africa, Band Aid "Do They Know It's Christmas" is much better

"The Greatest Love of All" Whitney Houston

and many others I can't think of now  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/20/06 at 1:59 am

I agree about Duran Duran.  I remember thinking they were cheesy and stupid even back in the 80s  *ducks flying objects*  

The only Duran Duran songs I ever liked came from their comeback album in 1993.

I personally think DD are a disgrace to synth pop. I don't like their singing, and I think they're synths are really awful.  The only good song they ever made in the '80s was "New Moon on Monday".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/20/06 at 2:05 am

"True", Spandau Ballet: A good song, but it's kind of cheesy and extremely repetitive

I love that song.  I listen to it a lot. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/20/06 at 2:06 am

I love that song.  I listen to it a lot. 

Again, it's a good song, I just think it's overrated and played too much.  Also, it's not musically varied. But it is romantic, I'll give it that.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/20/06 at 4:27 am

I feel that here are the Top 10 Most Overrated Songs From the '80s:

10. Just A Gigolo- David Lee Roth (Louis Prima was rolling in his grave!)
9. Thriller- Michael Jackson (Only good point of the whole song: Vincent Price.)
8. Girls On Film- Duran Duran (Two Words: Robert Palmer!)
7. Same Ol' Situation- Motley Crue (Had better luck w/"Too Young To Fall In Love")
6. Crazy Train- Ozzy Osbourne (Prefer "You're No Different")
5. My House- Mary Jane Girls (What was the POINT of that song?!?!?)
4. Mickey- Toni Basil (See the video- Toni was the only one who didn't look in drag!!!)
3. anything by Whitney Houston ('Nuff said!)
2. Eye Of the Tiger- Survivor (I think that was the ONLY song they did. See the newer commercial?)
AND! The Most Overrated '80s Song:
1. Elvira- The Oak Ridge Boys (Pathetic. Although, the "other" Elvira was fairly amusing!!!!!)

Written By: lizjagger on 04/20/06 at 11:21 pm

9. Thriller- Michael Jackson (Only good point of the whole song: Vincent Price.)
7. Same Ol' Situation- Motley Crue (Had better luck w/"Too Young To Fall In Love")
4. Mickey- Toni Basil (See the video- Toni was the only one who didn't look in drag!!!)
2. Eye Of the Tiger- Survivor (I think that was the ONLY song they did. See the newer commercial?)
1. Elvira- The Oak Ridge Boys (Pathetic. Although, the "other" Elvira was fairly amusing!!!!!)

haha, yeah, I hate her music

Written By: aten on 04/21/06 at 2:54 am

Duran Duran is the epitome of synth pop. They were what the early 80's were all about. Who says Robert Palmer made the band, nasty guy in a suit "Addicted to Love", way to overrated. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/21/06 at 8:07 am

"West End Girls", Pet Shop Boys: Probably one of PSB's worst songs, at least out of their more popular ones.
"Money for Nothing", Dire Straits: Not a fan.  Personally I like "Walk of Life" better.
"Don't You Forget About Me", Simple Minds: A really, really good song, but there's something missing about it.  As much as I like it, I find it overrated. 
"Purple Rain", Prince.  Trimac mentioned this one in a different thread, and I agree.
"Walk This Way", Run DMC-Aerosmith.  Overrated in how big a deal it is.  Aerosmith weren't cool anymore, even in the '80s.

I like "True" alot (I do know what you mean about the length, though), but the others I feel the same way about. For example, I would describe a song like "Don't You Forget About Me" or, as already talked about, "Purple Rain" as not necesarilly bad, but just not that good, at least not to the extent of being the huge hits they were, ya know?

And, while I do credit "Walk This Way"s remake with reviving Aerosmith's career and helping break down musical boundaries, it's way overrated and not really something you'd want to listen to over and over again. Their Permanent Vacation album was good classic rock/hair metal though.

Some more offhand:

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer: Again, just bland and overrated.
Harden My Heart - Quarterflash: Good song, but too overplayed (they had better stuff too).
Some dance/new wave one hit wonders ("Come On Eileen", Too Shy, etc)

Written By: Chasey on 04/21/06 at 1:25 pm

I personally think DD are a disgrace to synth pop. I don't like their singing, and I think they're synths are really awful.  The only good song they ever made in the '80s was "New Moon on Monday".

But I wouldn't categorise DD as 'Synth Pop'.  With the exception of their early stuff, they are in no way a true synthpop band.

I like Duran a lot, they characterised the 80's in a big way...big hair, big videos and over the top songs, and I particularly liked 'The Reflex', 'Is There Something I Should Know' and 'Wild Boys'.

Yet they remained uniquely different to their other pin-up rivals of the day, Wham! and Spandau Ballet.  Le Bon had that a very distinct vocal sound, and with the backing of the Taylor brothers they had a rock-like sound to their music. 

Written By: Chasey on 04/21/06 at 1:30 pm

Oh yeah, and a contender for the worst cheese also.  I hate this song!

In fact, Whitney must be a contender for having the worst songs in back to back decades. 'I Will Always Love You', is another one I utterly loath....it starts off OK, until that moment when she starts to bellow into the microphone.

She makes me want to weep.... :\'(

Written By: Chasey on 04/21/06 at 1:35 pm

'Sledgehammer' by Peter Gabriel.  Get's my vote every time, a totally bland and pointless song that never actually seems to go anywhere.

What was worse was the way in which a totally bland song was saved by an impressive artsy-fartsy video  ::)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/06 at 4:04 am

Let me guess: you are a Peter Gabriel hater.

I happen to be a Peter Gabriel fanatic.
That particular song is all about flirting.
The video was quite innovative- which he deserves, since he also one of the leading pioneers for music video. See "Games Without Frontiers".

I suppose you are a Whitney Houston fan, or something?

Written By: Criz on 05/02/06 at 5:38 am

Come on Eileen - Dexy's MIdnight Runners (annoying!)

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (Good vid, that's bout it)

Michael Jackson - Thriller (There are so many better songs on the album)

Anything by Prince

Anything by Journey

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (not a bad song, but not that great either!)

Walking On Sunshine - Katrina and the waves (over-played when it gets to summertime!!!)

I'm sure I Have more to offer, but that's all I can think of for now!!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 1:09 pm

Come on Eileen - Dexy's MIdnight Runners (annoying!)

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (Good vid, that's bout it)

Michael Jackson - Thriller (There are so many better songs on the album)

Anything by Prince

Anything by Journey

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (not a bad song, but not that great either!)

Walking On Sunshine - Katrina and the waves (over-played when it gets to summertime!!!)

I'm sure I Have more to offer, but that's all I can think of for now!!

I'd agree with pretty much all of those ... also, just about any hair metal!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 1:53 pm

I saw the video to that the other night. Had not seen it before, and probably hadn't heard the song in ages. Surprisingly, I rarely hear the song on the radio. The song was alright, but definetly not their best.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/06 at 4:22 pm

More cheesy songs of the '80s:

Camper Van Beethoven's "Take the Skinheads Bowling"- The point of this song is.......???
Meat Loaf's "Dead Ringer For Love"- Surprising, considering the artist!
Janet Jackson's "Nasty"- This song tried to be the "Let's Get Laid" song, but went horribly awry.
Starship's "We Built This City"- VH1 recently ranked this song at THE most overrated song of all-time!
W.A.S.P.- anything they did! They were the worst cross of hair metal/devil metal I've EVER seen!
                      -Not that I dig Devil Metal. DevMet is for wusses who can't get the pimples off their butts.

-How about Bell Biv Devoe's "Do Me Baby"? Another example of why tigers eat their young!

More to come later...and like that. :D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/02/06 at 5:33 pm

Oh hey, stop bashing on my poor old Prince...he gets more hate than most '80s artists nowadays.

Overrated songs:
"Father Figure" by George Michael...actually, almost everything but "Faith."
"Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners.
Anything by Duran Duran.
"Karma Chameleon" and "Right Round"-Culture Club and Boy George (his looks were more interesting than his music.)
"Bette Davis Eyes"-Kim Carnes.
"Flashdance"-Irene Cara (not a bad song...I just get sick of it, it sounds older than some big late '70s hits, honestly.)

Written By: Ed Anderson on 05/02/06 at 7:42 pm

Excuse me, but NONE of the Taylors in Duran Duran were related. Not brothers, cousins, nephew-uncle, father son or anything. I just thought I'd point that out. 8)

Written By: Jen on 05/02/06 at 8:42 pm

Lady in Red
Just hearing that song makes me cringe.

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 1:04 pm

Let me guess: you are a Peter Gabriel hater.

I happen to be a Peter Gabriel fanatic.
That particular song is all about flirting.
The video was quite innovative- which he deserves, since he also one of the leading pioneers for music video. See "Games Without Frontiers".

I suppose you are a Whitney Houston fan, or something?

To quote the words of Foghorn Leghorn...

'I say, I say just SLOW DOWN THERE, SON!!'  :o

I am not a Peter Gabriel hater
I am not dissing the video, it is one of the most innovative and best loved of the 80's
Your presumptions are incorrect, I do not own one Whitney Houston single, cd or mp3

I pointed out that, in my opinion, 'Sledgehammer' is really one of Gabriels most lifeless, weakest, and most pointless songs ever.  Thus far, your arguments have done nothing to change my point of view...but I am always open to persuasion.  8)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/05/06 at 12:46 am

Money For Nothing was a great song, and still is, though it was MASSIVELY OVERPLAYED. Also, I can't stand the full version that has I want my MTV sung in the beginning.

This redone Aerosmith song was perhaps the first rock/rap artist collaboration, at least the first one that gained massive attention. IIRC this came out before the Permanent Vacation CD, and after Aerosmith had gotten back together for the first time in years. In 1986, this was a big deal.

Starship's "We Built This City"- VH1 recently ranked this song at THE most overrated song of all-time!

I think VH1 rated it the most awesomely bad song of all time.

Written By: Chasey on 05/05/06 at 2:04 am

Money For Nothing was a great song, and still is, though it was MASSIVELY OVERPLAYED. Also, I can't stand the full version that has I want my MTV sung in the beginning.

You're kidding me right? The extended introduction is one of the best bits!  :D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/05/06 at 2:31 am

Well, I must admit, I am no big fan of Dire Straits, but I have to concede with my predecessor.
Now, "Sultans Of Swing" on the other hand..... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pyth.gif

Chasey- I am sorry for my emphasis on Peter Gabriel. I just happen to be a very big fan of his- I practically idolized him as a boy. I would say the same to anyone who I felt was attacking the Tubes.

When "Sledgehammer" came out, Claymation was very limited, still in its infancy stages. Peter brought that potential out. You say it's pointless...read the lyrics sometime. Then, correlate it with what his notes on the song are about- you'll see what I mean. Unless you feel flirting is pointless? (Actually, when it's thought about...some of his innuendo is downright nasty! ;))

As for yet another cheesy and overrated song from our Favorite Decade: "Party All the Time", by Eddie Murphy!!!!! :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 2:39 am

Any song from a hair metal band would make my list.  I have to disagree with whoever put Sledgehammer on their list.  I love that song. 

Written By: Chasey on 05/05/06 at 10:44 am

Well, I must admit, I am no big fan of Dire Straits, but I have to concede with my predecessor.
Now, "Sultans Of Swing" on the other hand..... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pyth.gif

Chasey- I am sorry for my emphasis on Peter Gabriel. I just happen to be a very big fan of his- I practically idolized him as a boy. I would say the same to anyone who I felt was attacking the Tubes.

When "Sledgehammer" came out, Claymation was very limited, still in its infancy stages. Peter brought that potential out. You say it's pointless...read the lyrics sometime. Then, correlate it with what his notes on the song are about- you'll see what I mean. Unless you feel flirting is pointless? (Actually, when it's thought about...some of his innuendo is downright nasty! ;))

As for yet another cheesy and overrated song from our Favorite Decade: "Party All the Time", by Eddie Murphy!!!!! :D

No problems!  And hey, I also love Gabriel and 'Games Without Frontiers' is without question one of my all time favourites.  Ever!

The lyrics to Sledgehammer do hold some curiosity, and yes they do tell an interesting story of flirtation.  But my main gripe is that it overall it just feels weak, limp and lacks any real 'ooomph'.  And the ending does seem to just drag on...

I guess my problem is that I compare everything (unfairly) to 'Games Without Frontiers'!

Agree with Eddie Murphy, but was it really ever rated?  I don't think so.. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/06 at 1:05 pm

Party All the Time was a pretty good song, as long as you look past the fact that it's Eddie Murphy LOL. 

I didn't like his second hit (yes he did have another hit LOL).  It was called 'Put Your Mouth on Me' and it was a US Top 40 hit in 1989

Written By: puddingpop on 05/05/06 at 1:35 pm

No problems!  And hey, I also love Gabriel and 'Games Without Frontiers' is without question one of my all time favourites.  Ever!

The lyrics to Sledgehammer do hold some curiosity, and yes they do tell an interesting story of flirtation.  But my main gripe is that it overall it just feels weak, limp and lacks any real 'ooomph'.  And the ending does seem to just drag on...

I guess my problem is that I compare everything (unfairly) to 'Games Without Frontiers'!

Agree with Eddie Murphy, but was it really ever rated?  I don't think so.. ;)

I agree about Dire Straits. "Money for Nothing" was tedious about the 2nd time I heard it. "Sultans of Swing" is a classic. Other favorites include: So Far Away, Brothers In Arms and Industrial Disease.

Peter Gabriel is also a favorite, though I preferred "Shock the Monkey", "Mercy Street" and "I Have The Touch".   

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:17 pm

"Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson

"Beat It" is 10 Times Better

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 12:56 pm

These songs did far too well for what they were . . .

'Back to life' - Soul II Soul
'Beat it' - Michael Jackson
'Move closer' - Phyllis Nelson
'Buffalo stance' - Neneh Cherry

Written By: Dmoc18 on 05/06/06 at 2:54 pm

So sad I actually have #10, 8, 4 and 2 on my computer.  New old song I have been going crazy with lately is Four Non Blondes - What's Up.

Best bizarre part:

And so I wake in the morning
And I step outside
And I take a deep breath and I get real high
And I scream at the top of my lungs
What's going on?

We just had no idea in the 80's how many of these songs were cries of help...I guess the guys wearing make-up should've been a hint.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/06 at 6:08 am

I agree about Dire Straits. "Money for Nothing" was tedious about the 2nd time I heard it. "Sultans of Swing" is a classic. Other favorites include: So Far Away, Brothers In Arms and Industrial Disease.
Money For Nothing is good, but overplayed. From that album (Brothers in Arms) I prefer the title track, So Far Away and Walk Of Like the best.

Written By: Criz on 05/08/06 at 6:34 am

Lady in Red
Just hearing that song makes me cringe.

Here here!!

Written By: stingr22 on 05/08/06 at 9:20 am

Anything Journey

"We Are The World" USA For Africa, Band Aid "Do They Know It's Christmas" is much better

and many others I can't think of now  ::)

Totally tongue in cheek...  ;D

You don't like Journey, but you do like Debbie Gibson?  That explains alot!  Her nasally teeny bopper voice is like fingenails on a chalkboard!!!  :o

Written By: stingr22 on 05/08/06 at 9:24 am

Mickey - Toni Basil
Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham
Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
It's Raining Men - Weather Girls

It's kind of hard to defend 80s music to people too young to have remembered it while these songs exist.  Any radio station in the U.S. that has a Friday night 80s show play these songs to death.  ARGH!!!!!!  >:(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/08/06 at 12:38 pm

Totally tongue in cheek...   ;D

You don't like Journey, but you do like Debbie Gibson?  That explains alot!  Her nasally teeny bopper voice is like fingenails on a chalkboard!!!   :o

I agree about her voice, man!
Incidentally, she "prefers" Deborah these days. Claims she nas NEVER liked "Debbie".

One might also throw Tiffany in there, too.
Cute redhead doing old covers??? Didn't that go out with Leif Garrett???

Written By: puddingpop on 05/08/06 at 1:49 pm

I must digress regarding Debbie Gibson. I recently heard a song of hers that I had not heard in years (Foolish Beat of My Heart) and I must say that it still beats alot of the crap you will hear on pop radio these days. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/09/06 at 3:23 am

Ahhh, nothing a good back-to-back of Eddie Money and Joan Jett wouldn't fix!

Written By: Bulldog85 on 05/10/06 at 1:17 am

I rememeber the song West End Girls being a huge song in the teen dance clubs

Written By: woops on 05/11/06 at 2:49 am

I must digress regarding Debbie Gibson. I recently heard a song of hers that I had not heard in years (Foolish Beat of My Heart) and I must say that it still beats alot of the crap you will hear on pop radio these days.   

ditto

and deborah's voice has gotten better, though i also like her songs from her 'electric youth'  :)

never liked tiffany (except her cover of 'i think we're alone now'0, though never heard of her until a few years ago

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/12/06 at 1:31 am

OK, here's one that is probably only remembered for its role in "Listerine" commercials:

Remember "Jungle Boy", by Baltimora?

Oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah, oh-oh-o-oh!
Oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah-oh-wah, oh-oh-o-oh!

Now, really: what was the POINT?!?!?

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/06 at 1:33 am

Remember "Jungle Boy", by Baltimora?

That was Tarzan Boy.  Jungle Boy was by John Eddie :)

Tarzan Boy was a very popular and well-known song before those Listerine commercials, but it was quite overrated yes.  I still enjoy it though

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/12/06 at 1:39 am

Point taken, whistle.

It is possible to love songs that are way overrated!
I have my guilty pleasures, too!

Like "Valley Girl", by Fank & Moon Zappa- I drive my wife NUTS with that song!

Check for new replies or respond here...