inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV Top 20 Videos of 1984

Written By: woops on 04/21/06 at 12:14 am

An interesting list, which is the #1 video's a bit of a suprise, especially for that year.

The Good, The Bad, & The Cheesy  :D
http://www.platypuscomix.net/videos/toptwenty.html

Subject: Re: MTV Top 20 Videos of 1984

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 1:08 am

#7 is When Doves Cry?  That video like sucks.  Who compiled this list .. Stevie Wonder? :D

They even got Rock Me Tonite by Billy Squier on there.  That was the video that killed Billy's career.  I've never in my life heard anyone praise that video before, so I am quite shocked :o

Footloose even made the list?  That wasn't even a video and Kenny Loggins wasn't even in it.  It was nothing more than scenes from the film edited together.  That's what is called a lazy attempt at making a music video (Irene Cara did the same thing with What A Feeling!)

Written By: stingr22 on 04/21/06 at 4:11 pm

Looking at the list the only surprise was #1.  I think "Jump" was Billboard's #1 song for that year. 

Written By: woops on 04/21/06 at 4:39 pm

Madonna and Duran Duran were also very popular in 1984 and none of their videos were on the list

Written By: Chasey on 04/23/06 at 8:39 am

I had a great laugh reading that page  ;D

Methinks that MTV just picked them out of a hat at random....and like all the other so-called top 20 selections I think it should be taken with a rather large dose of salt  ;)

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/23/06 at 8:25 pm

That was fun!  :D  The guy running the web site did a good job, was funny, it's been a long time watching some of those videos.

Written By: Rosie on 05/10/06 at 9:42 am

hey guys i'm 28 now and i do recall "Missing You" by John Waite was #1 now that was a very classic video could ya imagine his rage and yes slamming the down the payphone I've been a fan of his since '84 met him once or twice and rumor has it i briefly hooked up with him i'm saying its just a rumor :) have a great day

Check for new replies or respond here...