inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Back To The Future" Trilogy (Analysis)

Written By: 5*19*86 on 04/21/06 at 4:38 am

Back To The Future
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Back_to_the_future.jpg

Filming Dates: November 26th, 1984 - April 20th, 1985

Release Date: July 3rd, 1985

US Gross: $210 Million

Worldwide Gross: $350 Million

Plot Summary: Marty McFly is an aspiring musician, but he is not sure of what the future holds for him; first his band was rejected as the performing band for the school dance, and historically, no McFly has succeeded in anything. The only bright spots in his existence are his girlfriend and Emmett Brown, the town crackpot scientist, who is Marty's good friend. Marty was helping brown with his latest invention a time machine, which is fitted into a Delorean. The time machine needs a tremendous amount of power to work, which he gets from plutonium. Now Brown got the plutonium from some Libyans who want him to build a bomb; they find Brown and shoot him, Marty gets into the Delorean and drives off and when he reaches the speed of 88 mph that activates the time machine, he finds himself in 1955, cause that was the date that Brown entered, which was when he first conceived the time machine. Now having already used up all the power of the plutonium, Marty must find a way to get it working, so he can go back to his own time. Marty looks for Brown but before he does, he runs into his father as a teenager, and accidentally interferes with his father's first meeting of Lorraine, his future mother. Marty then goes to see Brown and convinces him that he is from the future and to help him. But when he learns of the amount of power that is needed to power the machine, he tells Marty that it's hopeless cause the only other thing that can generate that much power is a bolt of lightning and it's impossible to determine when and where they will strike, but Marty has with him an old newspaper cliping that states that the town clock tower will be struck by lightning, so they plan to draw the energy from the lightning so they can power the machine. But before they do, Marty must act as cupid for his parents cause it seems that because they never met they won't fall in love and get married and Marty will not exist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back To The Future Part II
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Backfu2.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Back_to_the_future_part_II_Poster_B.jpg/382px-Back_to_the_future_part_II_Poster_B.jpg

Filming Dates: February 1989 - June 1989

Release Date: November 22nd, 1989

US Gross: $118 Million

Worldwide Gross: $332 Million

Plot Summary: The second part of the trilogy begins as Doc, Marty and Jennifer take the time-traveling DeLorean into the year 2015 to straighten out the future of the McFly family. But Biff Tannen steals the time machine and gives his younger self a book containing 50 years of sports statistics, which the young Biff uses to amass an enormous gambling fortune and transform idyllic Hill Valley into a living hell. To restore the present, Doc and Marty must return to the events of their previous adventure in 1955 and retrieve the book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back To The Future Part III
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Backfu3.jpg

Filming Dates: August 1989 - December 1989

Release Date: May 25th, 1990

US Gross: $87 Million

Worldwide Gross: $243 Million

Plot Summary: The conclusion of the trilogy sends Marty McFly on a rescue mission to the year 1885, where he must save Doc Brown from death at the hands of yet another member of the Tannen clan. However, there are a number of complications preventing a quick return to the future: a lack of gasoline for the time-traveling DeLorean, a band of gunslinging outlaws and a schoolmarm with affections for the smitten Doc.

Of course one of the Favorite Movie Trilogy's of the 80's (Well technically "Part III" is from 1990, but atleast it was filmed in the 80s  ;))  I just thought I would post this little summary of the 3 films and we could all give our opinions on all 3, such as which is your favorite and least favorite? Do you have any memories of seeing these films for the first time? Did any of you see any of the 3 films in theaters? etc...

Subject: Re: "Back To The Future" Trilogy (Analysis)

Written By: Webstor on 04/21/06 at 6:19 am

BTTF is one of my favorite movies of all time......
some of my friends and I have spent countless hours going over the logistics of time travel in these movies........pretty funny.

I saw all 3 in the theater.

Part 2 and 3 were a little much.....
I have only recently come to like part 2....as I did not before because I thought Marty and Doc traveled back and forth thru time too easily.....whereas in Part 1 and 3, they basically had to "rig" the machine to make it work..... (i.e. lightning bolts and train pushing it)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/21/06 at 11:28 am

I love BTTF. I've seen all three movies plenty of times.

Written By: Dynomutt on 04/21/06 at 1:37 pm

I'm still under the impression that BTTF originally had a different ending, and just before they began filming BTTF2 they changed it to coincide with a sequel.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 1:47 pm

The one thing that gets me about Back to the Future ...

Doc builds the Time Machine in 1985.  With it, Marty goes Back in 1955, and meets Doc then.  Then after he is sent Back to the Future, he goes farther into the Future, where he again eventually winds up back in 1955, meeting Doc for the second time.  After all is said and done, with what 1955 Doc knows, he still goes ahead and makes the Time Machine in 1985, knowing all of the trouble that it has caused  ???

These are still great movies though.  I like the 3rd one the least though

Written By: 5*19*86 on 04/21/06 at 6:05 pm

I'm still under the impression that BTTF originally had a different ending, and just before they began filming BTTF2 they changed it to coincide with a sequel.

It did.  They didn't add the "To Be Continued" caption on "Back To The Future" until it came out on Video, because there originally were no plans for a sequel

Written By: Dynomutt on 04/22/06 at 2:06 pm

It did.  They didn't add the "To Be Continued" caption on "Back To The Future" until it came out on Video, because there originally were no plans for a sequel

I thought as much! Now I wonder if there are any VHS copies or anything of the original ending...

Written By: JustAGuy on 04/22/06 at 4:03 pm

I think they made a Huge Mistake releasing "Part III" just 6 Months after releasing "Part II".  It hurt the Box-Office for "Part III" big time

Of course, since they were the first movie trilogy to ever film their sequels Back-To-Back, I guess they weren't to sure that the way to go was to release them 1 year apart

Written By: STAR70 on 04/22/06 at 4:07 pm

last night I saw a DeLorean with vanity plates BAC2FUT cruisin down the street

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/22/06 at 6:43 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Dukefan on 04/27/06 at 7:26 pm

I didn't like the 2nd and 3rd as good as the first.  They just didn't "feel" the same.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:22 pm

Come on Marty McFly!  8)

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/28/06 at 10:10 pm

I've seen them all so many times, and I never get sick of them.

Written By: F.U.B.A.R. on 04/30/06 at 5:31 pm

1st one is the best, part III is ok, i have mixed feelings about part II, the logics of time travel is all srewed up in that one - how can you go to the future and see yourself for example.

Another thing that bugged me was that when Marty and Doc went to that alternate 1985, Doc said they cant't go back to the future to stop old Biff from taking the Sports Almanac bacause they would arrive in the alternate future, but why didn't the old Biff end up in that alternate future when he went back?

But when i turn my higher brain functions off, i can still enjoy all of them!! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:07 pm

Come on Marty McFly!  8)

Right on it. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:12 pm

1st one is the best, part III is ok, i have mixed feelings about part II, the logics of time travel is all srewed up in that one - how can you go to the future and see yourself for example.

Another thing that bugged me was that when Marty and Doc went to that alternate 1985, Doc said they cant't go back to the future to stop old Biff from taking the Sports Almanac bacause they would arrive in the alternate future, but why didn't the old Biff end up in that alternate future when he went back?

But when i turn my higher brain functions off, i can still enjoy all of them!! :)

I believe he did. The instant he leaves 1955 and comes back to 2015, it will be the "Evil" alternate one. It just transformed around Marty, Doc and Jennifer - since they are time travellers, they would notice a change around them (just like how Doc later said the corrupt 1985 would turn back into the normal one around Jennifer, once they got the almanac away from young Biff).

Marty's future neighborhood is already messed up anyway, so perhaps it doesn't look too different in the Evil 2015. But for the sake of argument, if they had been in the town square when Biff returned the DeLorean, yeah, I think they would probably notice it turning into a futuristic slum (maybe there'd be hovering bikers or something). ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/30/06 at 11:17 pm

I've seen all 3 of the, the first 2 are great. The 3rd one is weird though, they like went back to 1885 I think in the wild west, that was just odd, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...