inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paul Simon's 1986 Album Graceland

Written By: Chasey on 04/21/06 at 1:45 pm

Anyone else recall this classic 1980's album?  An album with a distinctly non-80's sound, it was a very popular album with me and my classmates back in the day, and it never ceases to disappoint whenever I play it 20 years on.

I enjoyed Simon's smooth 70's stuff, but I think that 'Graceland' is his finest hour.  The vocals are just outstanding, especially on 'I Know What I Know' and 'Gumboots'. 

Just love the way he delivers the lines in that traditional spoken manner of his, and this is a favourite:

'Breakdowns come....and breakdowns go, so...what are you going to do about it, that's what I'd like to know?'

Genius! :) Anyone else share the same opinion?

Subject: Re: Paul Simon's 1986 Album Graceland

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 1:59 pm

I remember when this album was popular.  The video for 'You Can Call Me Al' with a comic guest performance from Chevy Chase was all over the Music Video channels at the time.  I really like the song 'The Boy in the Bubble'.  Sadly, it was not a big hit here  :\'(

I believe Graceland remains his best selling solo album ever

Written By: Chasey on 04/21/06 at 2:06 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: stingr22 on 04/21/06 at 4:13 pm

It was pretty big here in the U.S.  It also won the Grammy award for best album that year.  I agree that it was Paul Simon's finest hour.  It still sounds just as good today!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/21/06 at 10:37 pm

One of my favorite songs from the album, is You Can Call Me Al.

Check for new replies or respond here...