inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sam Brown

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 2:29 pm

Anyone remember Sam Brown?

http://www.onecandle.co.uk/discography/stopalb.jpg

She was a british singer who came to fame in the late 80's with the album "Stop!"  The title track, along with, "This Feeling" and "Can I Get A Witness"  were all popular hits in her native england.  Both "Stop!" and "This Feeling" were also popular hits here in Canada.  In America, "Stop!" stalled at #65 in charts, and became her only U.S. Hit

From her 1990 follow-up album "April Moon", the track "Kissing Gate" was popular in the UK and Canada, and would also become her final top 40 hit in the UK.  I don't know how successful she became after that.  I don't remember anything after "Kissing Gate"  :-\\

Subject: Re: Sam Brown

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/06 at 2:32 pm

She is the daughter of the 60s popstar Joe Brown, and we do not her much of her these days.

Written By: Nostalgic on 04/21/06 at 5:48 pm

She had success in Australia with Stop! and Can I Get A Witness. I think that was about it. I still remember the video for Stop!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/06 at 3:32 am

Recently, in 2003, Brown collaborated with German art and science collective Valle Venia on the beguiling Fragile. The following year Brown teamed up with Dave Rotheray (the Beautiful South), Tony Robinson, Alan Jones and Matt Hogg to record the Homespun album.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 04/22/06 at 6:49 am

I had the pleasure of meeting her backstage in the early 90s when she was John Farnhams support act. She was good fun and a great performer. Really strong voice.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/23/06 at 4:07 am

I only remember "Stop" but it's a cool song. I didn't know she was Joe Brown's daughter. That's a cool little fact.

Written By: Chasey on 04/23/06 at 8:24 am

She sounds like a nice lady and obviously has a decent enough voice, but I've never liked  'Stop' or her music in general.  'Stop' to me has always been overrated. 

Check for new replies or respond here...