inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What exactly is New Romantic?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 6:00 pm

When I think New Romantic, I tend to think of ultra-stylish new wave, like Adam and the Ants, or Gary Numan, or very cheesy synth pop, such as Duran Duran, ABC, or early '80s Depeche Mode.

Kajagoogoo, A Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet, Thompson Twins, etc. would thus be New Romantic, whereas The Cure, Devo, Talking Heads, New Order, etc. would not.

Subject: Re: What exactly is New Romantic?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/06 at 10:08 pm

And puffy shirts.  Lots of puffy shirts.  (Said shirts were in fashion during the Romantic era of the late 1700s and early 1800s, hence the name.)

Written By: oingo_fan on 04/28/06 at 11:06 pm

Little info from wikipedia for 'ya...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Romantic

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 12:39 am

What about the band the 'New Romantics?'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/29/06 at 6:55 pm

Ironically, they were garage rock from Detroit, about the farthest thing from New Romantic.

I liked the New Romantic movement because it was pop without the sleaze, grime, primitive behavior, and corprolalia.
I would say I was New Romantic with Goth leanings in the '80s.

I mean, New Romanticism wasn't bereft of sexuality. Duran Duran wrote racey songs, but they did it without the whole Led Zeppelin, you know, eeeeeew!
:P

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:44 am

Ironically, they were garage rock from Detroit, about the farthest thing from New Romantic.

I liked the New Romantic movement because it was pop without the sleaze, grime, primitive behavior, and corprolalia.
I would say I was New Romantic with Goth leanings in the '80s.

I mean, New Romanticism wasn't bereft of sexuality. Duran Duran wrote racey songs, but they did it without the whole Led Zeppelin, you know, eeeeeew!
:P

Yes...sex in the 80s was staid, mechanical...very Tuetonic ( ;)). Like something produced from an Andy Warhol drudge factory; repetitive, emblematic of conformity.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 2:53 am

I think the whole "new romantic" thing was pretty influential on the metrosexuality and super-stylishness of the '00s.

Written By: WVMMRH on 04/30/06 at 10:21 am

i also was(and still am) a fan of what would be calloed new romantic music/groups..the song truly madly deeply(90's) by savage garden is a good example of that type of song or from the 80's songs by roxy music like avalon and more than this are good examples..love the 80's!! i'm 51 years old...just don't care for the 70's much though..mtv came along and i swore off the 70's.  the 80's were totally cool in every sense!! i was in my mid 20's (26) and 30's  through the 80's and it was grand!!

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 1:41 pm

i also was(and still am) a fan of what would be calloed new romantic music/groups..the song truly madly deeply(90's) by savage garden is a good example of that type of song or from the 80's songs by roxy music like avalon and more than this are good examples..love the 80's!! i'm 51 years old...just don't care for the 70's much though..mtv came along and i swore off the 70's.  the 80's were totally cool in every sense!! i was in my mid 20's (26) and 30's  through the 80's and it was grand!!

Absolutely agree.  Avalon is a masterpiece of stylish sophistication, and has influenced many modern artists.

As far as Savage Garden are concerned, for me they were the 1990's re-incarnation of 80's band Scritti Pollitti....

Written By: Satish on 05/04/06 at 8:56 pm

That band was just called The Romantics, not "New Romantics":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Romantics

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 11:50 pm

Yes...sex in the 80s was staid, mechanical...very Tuetonic ( ;)). Like something produced from an Andy Warhol drudge factory; repetitive, emblematic of conformity.

"We want you (we want you!)
We want you (we want you!)
We want you (to use your body!)
Change - the control swich
To body control (Absolute!)
Body control (Ahh!)
We want you to use your body!"

- DAF, Absolute Body Control.

I just googled.  The song's good enough that I have a hunch I'm gonna be typing the rest of the lyrics into the lyrics messageboard, because the usual lyrics sites showed up nothing.

Heaven 17 was dead wrong when they said the didn't need that fascist groove thing.  DAF may not have been fascists, but damn, they knew what sort of music fascists would have enjoyed :)

Check for new replies or respond here...