inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980's : a decade without nostalgia ?

Written By: tidav on 04/29/06 at 6:15 pm

During the 70's, there was a certain nostalgia for the 50's , during the 90's a nostalgia for the 70's , and in the 00's : fashion ,  sounds and styles from the 80's are back.In the 80's, it doesn't seem that there was any nostalgia for the 60's, why ? Were the two decades too different (liberal decade/conservative decade)  ?

Subject: Re: 1980's : a decade without nostalgia ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/29/06 at 6:39 pm

During the 70's, there was a certain nostalgia for the 50's , during the 90's a nostalgia for the 70's , and in the 00's : fashion ,  sounds and styles from the 80's are back.In the 80's, it doesn't seem that there was any nostalgia for the 60's, why ? Were the two decades too different (liberal decade/conservative decade)  ?

You're either kidding or you weren't there! During the '80s the nostalgia for the '60s arrived in the amounts copious and vomit-worthy! The yuppie shibboleth of "we're the coolest generation ever 'coz we went to Woodstock and war protestst now we drive Beemers and work on Wall Street" was most exemplified by the movie "The Big Chill."

In the '80s the Woodstock-type nostalgia made it cool for Baby Boomers and only Boomers to be:
Neurotic
Greedy
Materiaistic
Selfish
Hypocritical
Hedonistic
Drug-addicted
Self-pitying
Shallow
Reagan-voters

Actually, I would wind the generational clock back to include people born from 1935 onward, people more my parents' age, in grad school in the '60s, not high school.

What perplexed me the most was the way people MY age were into CSN&Y, The Grateful Dead, tie-dyes, and love beads. I was like, "That's disgusting hippie BS, get me as far away from it as possible!"
I felt like the hippies had totally sold out. They didn't sell out by ushering in Reagan and yuppie-dom. They sold out when the bought into the crapola that transformed them from leftists to liberal Republicans: The Human Growth Potential Movement, exemplifed by EST--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 6:40 pm

No, '50s and '60s nostalgia were huge in the '80s.  Probably bigger than '70s and '80s nostalgia are now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/29/06 at 6:46 pm

I love memory and history. I hate nostalgia.
8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 3:00 am

The '80s were a very nostalgic decade, there was about as much '50s and '60s nostalgia/influence then as there is '80s nostalgia now. The early-mid '80s, even the late '80s, were dominated by the influence of the '50s in fashion and in movies like Back to the Future, and groups like the B-52s and all post-punk and synthpop, really, returned to the ideal of those "surf rock chords." The super-modernist, Courreges-style decor of the '80s was a '50s-'60s futurism ripoff. There was nostalgia for the girl groups and British Invasion and heavy Beatles influence, the former reflected by the Go-Gos and the Bangles and the latter two in the four-minute synth pop songs that dominated the decade, as opposed to '70s-style dirges. I think around 1985 or 1986 true '60s nostalgia started, with all the '60s comebacks and reinterest in the Beatles and British Invasion, the "Shoegazing" movement of semi-psychedelic rock and the "Summer of Love" in 1988 in England marked by increased use of hallucinogens, the lovebeads in fashion, tie-dyes, etc. Of course, all of this late '60s nostalgia probably peaked c. 1990. Lenny Kravitz, a Jimi Hendrix rip-off to the core, came out...the B-52s released "Love Shack", Prince did a psychedelic album or two, etc. Motown was very influential on '80s artists like Michael Jackson and Madonna. There was a movement called the Paisley Underground in L.A, and R.E.M and 10,000 Maniacs tried to revive "jangle pop." Also, there were alot of Vietnam movies in the '80s and early '90s.

Nostalgia as we know it really started in the '70s, with '50s nostalgia, exemplified by Happy Days, Grease, etc., and '50s nostalgia continued through the early-mid '80s, residually maybe even through the early '90s, with lots of '50s-set movies and such. Early '60s nostalgia was big in the early '80s and very late '70s, through the mid-'80s, maybe. True, honest-to-God mid-late '60s nostalgia was at its peak from about 1983 through the early '90s, peaking 1987-1990 or so, and residually through the late '90s, even. '70s nostalgia started in the early '90s probably and peaked around 1997, though it was around through the early '00s and still is residually around today. Very late '70s and '80s nostalgia started c. 2001 or 2002 and is probably peaking in 2007.

Written By: Criz on 04/30/06 at 6:08 am

I agree with some of the above posts - the 50s was a decade that defeinitly influenced the 80s in terms of popular culture.

I wouldn't call it a nostalgia thing though - not to the extent that the term nostalgia is popular now. In the past 10 years it's somewhat of a fad to be interested in nostalgia and to resurrect things from the past into the popular culture of contemporray society. I myself am guilty of loving the 80s which is possibly a very new thing as the 80s were a decade generally hated or looked upon as 'The decade that style forgot' etc...

Written By: Ev on 04/30/06 at 8:13 am

Were you ACTUALLY around during the 1980s?  YES, there was a lot of 60s and early 70s nostalgia during the 80s.  Omigod.  Where to begin??

Let's start with the music:

When I was a college student in the mid-1980's, much of the music everyone listened to, and liked, was from the 70's (mostly early 70's) and the 60's. Here's a sample of some the music I heard frequently blaring from students' stereos:

The Beach Boys
The Beatles
Simon & Garfunkel
The Doors
The Mamas & The Papas
The Moody Blues
Bob Dylan
Led Zeppelin
The Jackson 5
Jefferson Airplane
The Supremes
The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
War
The Who
Santana
Chicago
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Jethro Tull
Steely Dan
Fleetwood Mac
AC/DC
KISS
Kansas
Boston
Pink Floyd

Don't forget those covers of sixties tunes:

David Lee Roth doing The Beach Boys "California Girls"
Tiffany doing The Shondell's "I Think We're Alone Now"
Phil Collins doing The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love"

On some college campuses, there was a resurgence of hippie-like fashions, such as tie-dye T-shirts, love beads, flannel, bandanas, and daishikis.  I always interpreted the (in)famous acid-wash denim fad of the 80s as being part of this.  It seemed like the ideas was to look like you'd been wearing the same pair of jeans since '72.  In movies, there was The Big Chill, and Hair (actually released in 1979) developed a cult following in the 1980s.  Sixties imagery and countercultural references started finding their way into print ads (go to the library and look through the magazines of that era).  And just in general there was a lot of all-around 60s chic and general fascination with the decade.

A convergence of factors help fuel the 60s nostalgia boom.  First is the usual 20-year nostalgia cycle.  This was especially potent because of the generational change that took place during the 60s.  Gen-Xers becoming tired of Madonna and Prince and Michael Jackson started to (re)discovering The Beatles and other stuff that from their babyhood.  Baby Boomers started to reach middle age and began pining away for their youth.  Liberals who detested the Reagan Error looked back on the "progressive" sixties with fondness.  Conservatives also looked back with fondness on the "innocence" of the Kennedy years.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 11:30 am

Were you ACTUALLY around during the 1980s?  YES, there was a lot of 60s and early 70s nostalgia during the 80s.  Omigod.  Where to begin??

Let's start with the music:

When I was a college student in the mid-1980's, much of the music everyone listened to, and liked, was from the 70's (mostly early 70's) and the 60's. Here's a sample of some the music I heard frequently blaring from students' stereos:

The Beach Boys
The Beatles
Simon & Garfunkel
The Doors
The Mamas & The Papas
The Moody Blues
Bob Dylan
Led Zeppelin
The Jackson 5
Jefferson Airplane
The Supremes
The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
War
The Who
Santana
Chicago
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Jethro Tull
Steely Dan
Fleetwood Mac
AC/DC
KISS
Kansas
Boston
Pink Floyd

Don't forget those covers of sixties tunes:

David Lee Roth doing The Beach Boys "California Girls"
Tiffany doing The Shondell's "I Think We're Alone Now"
Phil Collins doing The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love"

On some college campuses, there was a resurgence of hippie-like fashions, such as tie-dye T-shirts, love beads, flannel, bandanas, and daishikis.  I always interpreted the (in)famous acid-wash denim fad of the 80s as being part of this.  It seemed like the ideas was to look like you'd been wearing the same pair of jeans since '72.  In movies, there was The Big Chill, and Hair (actually released in 1979) developed a cult following in the 1980s.  Sixties imagery and countercultural references started finding their way into print ads (go to the library and look through the magazines of that era).  And just in general there was a lot of all-around 60s chic and general fascination with the decade.

A convergence of factors help fuel the 60s nostalgia boom.  First is the usual 20-year nostalgia cycle.  This was especially potent because of the generational change that took place during the 60s.  Gen-Xers becoming tired of Madonna and Prince and Michael Jackson started to (re)discovering The Beatles and other stuff that from their babyhood.  Baby Boomers started to reach middle age and began pining away for their youth.  Liberals who detested the Reagan Error looked back on the "progressive" sixties with fondness.  Conservatives also looked back with fondness on the "innocence" of the Kennedy years.

Also, the music of the '60s was very influential, in terms of its poppiness and "perfect pop song songwriting", and general style, on the '80s, in many ways. Like how '60sesque college rock was and how much Madonna and MJ were influenced by Motown.

Written By: robby76 on 05/01/06 at 8:46 am

Don't forget movies like Back To The Future and Dirty Dancing. And tv shows like Wonder Years and Rags To Riches.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/03/06 at 7:30 am

People have always wanted to go back to "the good old days when things were simpler and purer", which usually translates into "when I was a kid" for middle-aged people - about 20 - 30 years before the current time. Thus in the '80s you had 50's and 60's nostalgia as the ideal, while today the '80s are it. God help us all, in 20 years people will be nostalgic for this decade. It's just the way people are.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:39 am

People have always wanted to go back to "the good old days when things were simpler and purer", which usually translates into "when I was a kid" for middle-aged people - about 20 - 30 years before the current time. Thus in the '80s you had 50's and 60's nostalgia as the ideal, while today the '80s are it. God help us all, in 20 years people will be nostalgic for this decade. It's just the way people are.

Yeah, back in the 60s people were talking about the 'good old days', how kids had no respect for their elders, how the world was such a dangerous place.

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/06 at 4:45 pm

Don't forget movies like Back To The Future and Dirty Dancing. And tv shows like Wonder Years and Rags To Riches.

And the film 'Stand by me'.

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 1:25 pm

As mentioned previously, the 80's were all about the 60's!

It goes in circles...

80's - based on 60's
90's - based on 70's
00's - from what I've seen based on all the good stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Good to see that in Europe the 'anything goes' mentality exists with regard to clothing.

I applaud todays attitude, which certainly seems to suggest that if you want to wear something nostalgic or loud, well then WEAR IT.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:37 pm

The '00s are all about the '80s.

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 3:20 pm

The '00s are all about the '80s.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but right now there is definately a major 70's 'disco' thing going on..... aviators, sneakers etc.  Not just here in Switzerland, but I also notice it when I go home to the UK.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/04/06 at 4:56 pm

I love memory and history. I hate nostalgia.
8)

Definitely!! Nostalgia are for those who wasn't there.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 6:44 pm

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but right now there is definately a major 70's 'disco' thing going on..... aviators, sneakers etc.  Not just here in Switzerland, but I also notice it when I go home to the UK.

In the US, with the exception of the '70s-style haircuts and jackets, it's still basically all about the '80s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 3:11 am

And the film 'Stand by me'.

The Ben E. King song, Stand By Me, also made it back to the charts in 1986 due to the film.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 3:12 am

Also, some tend to forget the movie "Great Balls of Fire" which I remember really got me into Jerry Lee Lewis as a kid. I remember bringing out my little pink tape player and blasting the music while helping my mom do some yard work.

Subject: Re: 1980s : a decade without nostalgia ?

Written By: britcoun@yahoo.com on 05/05/06 at 7:16 am

1980s folks...meaning the plural ...........................NOT  1980's  which is possessive and is only used when you want to say 1980's music......guess the 60s generation was more formally educated.

Subject: Re: 1980s : a decade without nostalgia ?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 2:23 pm

1980s folks...meaning the plural ...........................NOT   1980's  which is possessive and is only used when you want to say 1980's music......guess the 60s generation was more formally educated.

Thanks for the helpful correction, but no thanks for the insult  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...