inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it possible to be TOO obsessed with the 80's?

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 7:04 am

For a while now I've been trying to surround myself with everything and anything that has to do with the 80's.  It's like I'll do anything I can to remind myself of my childhood and try to relive it.  I am constantly reminscing about it and missing it.  I just had a great childhood, with great friends, and a very supportive and loving family.  It's not that I'm not happy with my life now and all I have is my past to make me happy, but I guess it's the idea of simpler times when I didn't have to worry about money and work and all that sucky adult stuff.  It was care-free and fun and I've give anything to have back just one day.  But what I'm asking is, do you think there's something wrong with me?  Why can't I let it go and just focus on the present?  I just have so many wonderful memories...

Subject: Re: Is it possible to be TOO obsessed with the 80's?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 7:34 am

I actually feel the exact same way as you do.  I would give anything to be able to relive my childhood once again. Some days I miss it so much that it makes me wanna cry.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 7:39 am

For a while now I've been trying to surround myself with everything and anything that has to do with the 80's.  It's like I'll do anything I can to remind myself of my childhood and try to relive it.  I am constantly reminscing about it and missing it.  I just had a great childhood, with great friends, and a very supportive and loving family.  It's not that I'm not happy with my life now and all I have is my past to make me happy, but I guess it's the idea of simpler times when I didn't have to worry about money and work and all that sucky adult stuff.  It was care-free and fun and I've give anything to have back just one day.  But what I'm asking is, do you think there's something wrong with me?  Why can't I let it go and just focus on the present?  I just have so many wonderful memories...

This sounded very much like a Donnie Darko thread...lol

I dunno...I'd need to go into your bedroom (no, not that way  ;)). You can always tell one's obsessions by visiting their bed-room. If you have Duran-duran blasting out of the boom-box, posters of Madonna ala 'Material Girl', transformers.etc, then I'd say yes, you are living in the 80s at the expense of reality. But in the ends, who really cares? Create your own era...

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 8:08 am

I actually feel the exact same way as you do.  I would give anything to be able to relive my childhood once again. Some days I miss it so much that it makes me wanna cry.

It's nice to know there is someone out there like me! Do you mind if I ask how old you are? 

It makes me want to cry too sometimes.  Sometimes I'll be looking at something on Ebay from my childhood or an old picture I have and I'll get a very vivid flashback to a certain moment I may have forgotten about and I will be overcome with emotion and want to cry.  It's strange...  It's happy and sad feeling at the same time.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 8:11 am

I dunno...I'd need to go into your bedroom (no, not that way  ;)). You can always tell one's obsessions by visiting their bed-room. If you have Duran-duran blasting out of the boom-box, posters of Madonna ala 'Material Girl', transformers.etc, then I'd say yes, you are living in the 80s at the expense of reality. But in the ends, who really cares? Create your own era...

hahaha well it's funny you say that because i've always been an HUGE Madonna fan.  But I even love her current stuff.  I guess I'm not that bad.  I don't have posters on the walls and I don't wear 80's clothes, but I do listen to 80's music a lot, and I will buy 80's TV shows and movies on DVD, and sometimes I'll buy a Sears Wishbook or some other momento on Ebay.  It's more in my head than anywhere else.  There's not much physical evidence of this obsession. LOL

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/01/06 at 8:11 am

I don't know. I don't think I'd want to go back to my childhood. Not that it was bad, and not that I don't miss it. But today is good too.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 8:15 am

I don't know. I don't think I'd want to go back to my childhood. Not that it was bad, and not that I don't miss it. But today is good too.

Yeah, today is good in many ways.  It's just the hard times that makes me miss being a kid.  But maybe if I was ever given the chance to relive my childhood, I'd go back, and maybe realize that life is better now and want to come back.  Who knows...  I also have a selective memory when it comes to thinking about my childhood.  Maybe there were parts of it that weren't so great.  I don't know.  I just miss it.

Written By: Gis on 05/01/06 at 8:20 am

I think it's possible to be too obsessed with anything............

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 8:28 am

I think it's possible to be too obsessed with anything............

thanks for your help...  ::)

Written By: Gis on 05/01/06 at 8:38 am

thanks for your help...  ::)
Actually I was being serious. I think it is possible to get too obsessed with things whatever they may be and that's not healthy in most cicumstances.

Written By: robby76 on 05/01/06 at 8:40 am

I love the 80s... collect tv dvds, music, toys from childhood! Obsessed is quite a strong word. "Really into" describes me better.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 8:54 am

maybe i'm not obsessed either... just "really into" as well.  i just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way that i do.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 8:58 am

It's nice to know there is someone out there like me! Do you mind if I ask how old you are? 

It makes me want to cry too sometimes.  Sometimes I'll be looking at something on Ebay from my childhood or an old picture I have and I'll get a very vivid flashback to a certain moment I may have forgotten about and I will be overcome with emotion and want to cry.  It's strange...  It's happy and sad feeling at the same time.

I am 29.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 9:29 am

ok, and i'll be 28 soon, so we are around the same age.  it always seems like most of the people on here were in their teenage years during the 80's and they can't understand how anyone who wasn't 15 in 1985 could miss it, but i guess my childhood was a happier time for me than my teenage years, which were in the 90's.  i miss being 8 years old a lot more than being 18 LOL

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 11:01 am

ok, and i'll be 28 soon, so we are around the same age.   it always seems like most of the people on here were in their teenage years during the 80's and they can't understand how anyone who wasn't 15 in 1985 could miss it, but i guess my childhood was a happier time for me than my teenage years, which were in the 90's.  i miss being 8 years old a lot more than being 18 LOL

I am the same way....I would take my childhood years over my teen years anyday! ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 3:00 pm

I sometimes feel as you do, Bill. I feel like I am a product of the 80's and I am living that legacy. I feel like I want to go back in time, but I am glad of what I have been able to hang on to. Someday, I can share those memories with my children, so I look forward to that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 5:11 am

I guess. They were an awesome time though. BTW I was born in 1990; I still love them. '90s are fine too though.

Written By: Carl on 05/02/06 at 1:20 pm

The 80s very good memories for me, so there will always be a craze for me for that decade.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/sqsilly.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 1:29 pm

The 80s are a decade everyone loves, but hates to admit it. That's why it always ranks so high in 'worst' decade polls!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 1:42 pm

The 80s are a decade everyone loves, but hates to admit it. That's why it always ranks so high in 'worst' decade polls!  ;D

That's very true. I still feel kinda weird driving around blasting a song from the 80's in my car. But, if it were the 60's or 70's, I wouldn't have any regrets. I guess people out there still see the 80's as total cheese. But, I've gone past that now.. I just LOVE the 80's like I never have before.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 1:58 pm

That's very true. I still feel kinda weird driving around blasting a song from the 80's in my car. But, if it were the 60's or 70's, I wouldn't have any regrets. I guess people out there still see the 80's as total cheese. But, I've gone past that now.. I just LOVE the 80's like I never have before.  ;D

I'm getting to that point.  I'm almost ready to confess my love for Depeche Mode and New Order, almost.

Written By: Bobby on 05/02/06 at 7:42 pm

I don't know, Bill. I consider myself obsessed with the media rather than my memories of the 80s these days. The latter is more likely to be unhealthy for you than the former.

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 8:06 pm

I eat, sleep and drink 80's Music. 

Well, maybe not Eat and Drink it LOL though if I did, it would be Chocolate Box by Bros. ;D

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 1:35 pm

Well said that man!  I for one love a lot of modern things, but I'm basically stuck in the 80's for music and fashion and proud of it!

Someone's gotta show all these Pop Idol, RnB, Hip-Hop luvving youngsters what they missed!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/04/06 at 2:23 pm

Well said that man!  I for one love a lot of modern things, but I'm basically stuck in the 80's for music and fashion and proud of it!

Someone's gotta show all these Pop Idol, RnB, Hip-Hop luvving youngsters what they missed!

Exactly!  ;)

Written By: wndysbg on 05/06/06 at 7:41 pm

I don't think I am obsessed with the '80's. but I love/prefer to listen to '80's music.  Unlike some of you I was a teenager in the '80's.  I went from 15 to 25 in that decade.  That is a lot of growing up to do.  It was great - I have no regrets.  I would love to travel back in time to some of those 80 days and have the fun I did back then.  No responsibility, just enjoying life and having fun.  I met some of the best friends I have ever had (and still have) in the '80's.  I loved, I lost, I grew, I matured.  I went from Jr. High to a college graduate all in one decade.  Don't get me wrong. . .  I love my life now. . . . but sometimes when a certain song comes on the radio the memories are so strong that I am instantly flashed back in time.  To a time that was simplier, easier, more carefree and full of adventure, learning and growing.  I am not obsessed, but I do miss the '80's from time to time.

Check for new replies or respond here...