inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your absolute favorite thing from the 80's

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/01/06 at 9:58 am

You can only pick one!  If you could take ONE thing with you that you either had or did or saw or wanted in the 80's, what would it be?

For me, it would be Christmas 1987.  The best christmas ever.  Just wonderful.  Can't even explain why, it just was.  Simply beautiful.

Subject: Re: Your absolute favorite thing from the 80's

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 11:09 am

I would have to say....the memories of all of the fun things that my family and I did when we were younger......we have always been a very close knit family, and still are.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/02/06 at 11:44 pm

A Chuck E. Cheese (or Pizza Time Theater) franchise ca. 1984-1987.

100+ video games.  A full-size pizza oven.  I just wish I remembered whether or not it had beer.  I think it did. How else could we have gotten our parents to drag us there?

Written By: livinonthe80s on 05/03/06 at 4:54 am

Sorry, I just can't pick one, I simply LOVED everything about the 80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:40 am

The fact that they're OVER. No, they weren't that bad...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 7:59 am

A Chuck E. Cheese (or Pizza Time Theater) franchise ca. 1984-1987.

100+ video games.  A full-size pizza oven.  I just wish I remembered whether or not it had beer.  I think it did. How else could we have gotten our parents to drag us there?

yes...Chuck E. Cheese did (and still does) serve beer....I never could understand the logic of that...that was until I took my little boy there, and it was SO crazy (with parents and kids running everywhere), that even me (someone who despises beer) was contemplating getting a drink to calm my nerves! ;) ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/03/06 at 8:18 am

yes...Chuck E. Cheese did (and still does) serve beer....I never could understand the logic of that...that was until I took my little boy there, and it was SO crazy (with parents and kids running everywhere), that even me (someone who despises beer) was contemplating getting a drink to calm my nerves! ;) ;D

hahaha you know, i think we have a lot in common.  and don't worry, i'm not hitting on you, i'm gay LOL  but anyway do you drink at all or just hate beer?  i can't understand the concept of a kid's place like chuck e. cheese having alcoholic beverages.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/03/06 at 8:19 am

hahaha you know, i think we have a lot in common.  and don't worry, i'm not hitting on you, i'm gay LOL  but anyway do you drink at all or just hate beer?  i can't understand the concept of a kid's place like chuck e. cheese having alcoholic beverages.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/03/06 at 8:19 am

hahaha you know, i think we have a lot in common.  and don't worry, i'm not hitting on you, i'm gay LOL  but anyway do you drink at all or just hate beer?  i can't understand the concept of a kid's place like chuck e. cheese having alcoholic beverages.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 8:23 am

hahaha you know, i think we have a lot in common.  and don't worry, i'm not hitting on you, i'm gay LOL  but anyway do you drink at all or just hate beer?  i can't understand the concept of a kid's place like chuck e. cheese having alcoholic beverages.

LOL...it's okay, I didn't think that you were hitting on me ;)  Well, I have a drink (mixed drink) every once in a blue moon...but that's about it...I detest the taste of beer though :P.  I always thought it was crazy that they served beer there....it's like...take your kids there, get wasted...and then drive them home?? :o :D ;)

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/03/06 at 9:10 am

LOL...it's okay, I didn't think that you were hitting on me ;)  Well, I have a drink (mixed drink) every once in a blue moon...but that's about it...I detest the taste of beer though :P.  I always thought it was crazy that they served beer there....it's like...take your kids there, get wasted...and then drive them home?? :o :D ;)

hahaha exactly.  doesn't make sense.  yeah i'm not a big drinker either.  i will have something on occassion (like once a year) and all my friends and co-workers think i'm a party-pooper but ya know, I don't need to drink to have fun.  i had my partying days when i was in my early twenties but i never really enjoyed being drunk and i don't like the taste of alcohol so what's the point?  i think it was the fact that my parents never drank and always instilled in me the value of having fun without it that stuck with me.  i give them credit for everything good that i am today, and blame myself for everything i do bad LOL

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/03/06 at 4:25 pm

I guess if I could go back, I might boot up the old C64 for a run through some of my old games, or maybe go back to Junior Prom - when I actually had a date.

Written By: Bobby on 05/04/06 at 5:49 am

Hmmm . . . It would be a toss up between the Amstrad CPC464 or the Spectrum +2.  :)

On a more personal level, my nan and grandad were alive back then. I miss them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:40 am

Never been a fan of getting trashed either...I've only got drunk a handful of times in my life, and after which I got so sick I threw up a couple of times and was in bed most of the day after. Must've been extra-sensitive...still am quite sensitive to alcohol for some reason. A few drinks will make me quite flushed. I guess that means I'm not a red blooded Aussie male. lol.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/05/06 at 9:20 am

Never been a fan of getting trashed either...I've only got drunk a handful of times in my life, and after which I got so sick I threw up a couple of times and was in bed most of the day after. Must've been extra-sensitive...still am quite sensitive to alcohol for some reason. A few drinks will make me quite flushed. I guess that means I'm not a red blooded Aussie male. lol.

Sounds like you're either allergic to alcohol (it does happen) or you're borderline hypoglycemic like me. I'm leaning more toward the former explanation, based on your symptoms, which aren't exactly like mine.

Written By: T on 05/05/06 at 10:34 pm

My momeries of the 80's I lived.

Written By: rich1981 on 05/05/06 at 11:26 pm

My youth.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 11:33 pm

What kinda beer do you hate, and what (_specifically_) do you hate about it?

There's good beer out there.  I can just about gawd-dang-gawrontee it that Chuck E. Cheese doesn't have it, but I also went through college (!) as "one-beer Foobar" because I didn't care for the taste.  And although what I drank in colege still makes me retch - I've got a $3-5/bottle habit when it comes to barley pops. 

If you want a floral/fruity/fizzy/foamy flavor, look into Belgian ales.  You should be able to find something from Canadian brewer "Unibroue" or maybe the Belgian "Delerium Tremens". 

If you want more bitterness/alcohol/hops  kinda flavor, look into India Pale Ales.  Lagunitas IPA, Stone "Arrogant Bastard"  should be availably anywhere in the States.

If you want something thick, syrupy, and dark, but _not_ bitter, try a Guinness, or other forms of stout.  Stouts are relatively low on alcohol (except for _imperial russian_ stout, which is in the 10% category, let that be a lesson only learned once!)

Anyways.  Get thee to your local "gourmet" booze store.  Tell him what beers you hated, what beers you can _tolerate_, and he'll steer ya in the right direction.  Seriously.  Life's too short to drink bad beer.  I was the guy voted "least likely to ever get drunk", and I wound up a beer lover. 

I (very!) rarely drink to get drunk.  Every night, I maange to drink for the taste.  (And if you've tried all of the above, and still not found a style of beer that's to your taste - you can spend twice as much doing the same with wine, or four times as much doing the same with whisky.  I've done all three and found three ecological niches into which I fit, for about half of what I thought it'd cost.  The only expensive part is the experimentation.  Once you learn what your tastebuds like, you can find something in whatever style pleases you for half the price of the most pretentious label in the category :)

Never had kids, never will - but if I could take anything *BACK* to the '80s, tt'd be what I've learned about drinking between then and today.  Life's too s hort to drink bad beer.  Give me a Chuck E. Cheese's with _GOOD_ beer, and I'd rent the place for the weekend just to kick the kids out and have the whole place to my own drunken self :)

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 2:26 pm

My youth.

Probably the main reason why people get nostalgic in the first place.

Written By: Dmoc18 on 05/06/06 at 3:01 pm

The hairstyles.  I went in just about every six weeks and used to get something different everytime.  Now everyone is into long and straight hair....how boring.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/06 at 4:36 pm

The hairstyles.  I went in just about every six weeks and used to get something different everytime.  Now everyone is into long and straight hair....how boring.

That's true. Although that nice, soft flowing wavy look is returning which is pleasant. It gives me one more reason to not have to get my bangs cut every 2 weeks because I can let them go without looking like a dork.

Written By: wndysbg on 05/06/06 at 6:53 pm

I loved the '80's.  Memories of high school, college and some of the best friends I could ever ask for all took place in the '80's.  javascript:void(0);

Written By: Dmoc18 on 05/06/06 at 10:02 pm

I just remembered my second favorite thing....KABANGERS!!!!  Remember the two hard balls at the end of the string you used to have to knock together...omg those hurt.

good times....

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/06 at 1:34 pm

My Atari 7800, which I got for Christmas 1984.  It still works, and whenever I am feeling in an 80s mood, I have myself a retro gaming experience 8)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/06 at 1:46 pm

The Commodore 64 I was given as a Christmas present in 1984.

It was bought brand new, and I'm proud to say it still works, the keyboard is still together , and I still have somwewhere to the tune of over 100 games for it!

(Hey, I may just have to play "Impossible Mission", now that I think of it!) 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/29/06 at 9:16 pm

Most memorable moment was my eight birthday, we went bowling and afterwards we on the Welcome Ship, which I'm pretty certain is probally retired by now.

Check for new replies or respond here...