inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Wrestlers - Land of 1,000 Dances

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 7:26 pm

Remember the 1985 LP "The Wrestling Album"?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00000HXJH.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The first song on side one is 'Land of 1,000 Dances' by The Wrestlers.  I kept thinking that I'd heard this song before, so I did some research and found out it was released as a single in 1986 and here in Canada, it reached #38 on the Top 40 Charts.  How cool is that 8)

According to my chart facts, it didn't make the US Hot 100 or the UK Top 40, so I wonder where else it was a success?

Subject: Re: The Wrestlers - Land of 1,000 Dances

Written By: Bobby on 05/01/06 at 7:37 pm

Ha ha! Back when wrestling had the right mix of sport and entertainment.

There was some interesting stuff on that album (I think 'Don't mess with a country boy' by 'Hillbilly Jim' is on there too). It usually comes packaged with the WWE's later music compilation CDs these days.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 8:12 pm

Ha ha! Back when wrestling had the right mix of sport and entertainment.

There was some interesting stuff on that album (I think 'Don't mess with a country boy' by 'Hillbilly Jim' is on there too). It usually comes packaged with the WWE's later music compilation CDs these days.

That Hillbilly Jim track was on there yes.  It was quite catchy :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/06 at 3:26 am

Yeahhhh, those were the days....
I was actually training at one time to be a wrestler, and I knew 5 pros who wanted to take me under their wing...one's still willing to, if I want it.
-That's what happens when your mother is dating General Adnan!

I got one song coming to mind: Grab Dem Cakes!
(RIP- Junkyard Dog, you are sorely missed.)

Written By: Bobby on 05/02/06 at 5:48 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Bobby on 05/02/06 at 5:57 am

Yeahhhh, those were the days....
I was actually training at one time to be a wrestler, and I knew 5 pros who wanted to take me under their wing...one's still willing to, if I want it.
-That's what happens when your mother is dating General Adnan!

I got one song coming to mind: Grab Dem Cakes!
(RIP- Junkyard Dog, you are sorely missed.)

Ha ha! Unreal. I remember General Adnan back in late 1990/1991. He served his purpose for Sgt Slaughter. It took me quite some time to realise Col Mustapha was The Iron Sheik, lol.

If you like the idea, professional wrestling can be a very rewarding career but it is very demanding in all aspects. Good luck to you.

As for Junkyard Dog, at least he got into 'The Hall of Fame'. R.I.P Sylvester Ritter.  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/06 at 10:47 pm

Hey Bobby,

If you want to read a truly fascinating story, pick up Adnan's autobiography, "Thre Sheikh of Baghdad".
You'd be surprised at what this man went through.

(He also hinted to me, last we spoke, that he was thinking on "teaching that garbage, Muhammad Hassan, a lesson on what it means to be an Arab-American". (Even though Adnan was born in Baghdad.)
His book is sold at Barnes & Noble.

Written By: Bobby on 05/04/06 at 5:29 am

Hey Bobby,

If you want to read a truly fascinating story, pick up Adnan's autobiography, "Thre Sheikh of Baghdad".
You'd be surprised at what this man went through.

(He also hinted to me, last we spoke, that he was thinking on "teaching that garbage, Muhammad Hassan, a lesson on what it means to be an Arab-American". (Even though Adnan was born in Baghdad.)
His book is sold at Barnes & Noble.

That sounds like an interesting read, Hawk.  8)

That Muhammad Hassan angle could have been taken to new heights but WWE chickened out IMO - it could have had the same impact the Ultimate Warrior vs Sgt Slaughter match had on everyone at Royal Rumble 1991.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/05/06 at 3:27 am

It is, man.

You see, Adnan knew Saddam Hussein, growing up. Later, when he returned to Baghdad after 7-8 yrs. in the States, he was approached by Saddam, and "persuaded" to work for him. Adnan was not really political; he worked for the Ministry of Youth. He also was the Arab World Champion, until he got too popular, and Saddam, at the time, had people removed in tragic "accidents", if they rivalled him at any point.

Example: There was a Communist party member named Khalid, who had gotten kinda popular. Well, Adnan knew this man growing up, see? He wants to see Khalid, but no one can locate him, and Adnan gets excuses as to his whereabouts. He finally pulls some wegith, and is eventually led to a building on Baghdad's outskirts. He talks about how he was led down several levels, and when a door was opened, he almost threw up from the stench. He saw a bloated body on a table, which had a garden hose snaked up its butt, and water was still coming out of it. It turned out to be Khalid.
Adnan ran out, threw up, and asked why someone would do such a thing. It was explained to him that anyone who had power, and was not of the Baath Party (Saddam's party), was an enemy of Iraq, and had to made an example of.

I highly suggest it for reading. It not only shows the coin on the opposite side, but it has some hilarious wrestling stories, too. (The one about Haystacks Calhoun on his first Trans-Pacific flight to Japan is hysterical!)

Check for new replies or respond here...