inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s kind of sweater making a comeback

Written By: Carl on 05/03/06 at 12:46 pm

I'll explain what they look like, I know they've always had them,may not be just 80s, but it seems I see more people wearing it these days:

usually a grey or tan color with a bunch of diamonds in the center, sort of overlapping. Sound a bit familiar? I just want to know what they're called.

Subject: Re: 80s kind of sweater making a comeback

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 1:22 pm

are they anything like these?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby6K.9FhE3RIApF.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11v6i6v5t/EXP=1146766910/**http%3a//www.weegeneration.com/merinowool.jpg

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 05/03/06 at 1:22 pm

Sounds like you mean an argyle sweater.  I saw them featured in one of those celeb fasion magazines the other day at the hair salon.  The article mentioned that they were making a comeback.

There were also argyle socks that were popular in the 80s.  Kids around my age (37) would wear them with plaid skirts - yeah, it sounds gross but it was really popular.  Have to admit, I even did it. :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/06 at 1:37 pm

The "Preppy" look. I remember a bumper sticker that said, "Save an alligator: Eat a preppy".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Marian on 05/03/06 at 2:36 pm

They had those since at least the 40s.I thought you were talking about flying squirrel sweaters. ;D

Written By: Carl on 05/03/06 at 2:38 pm

Yes, the Argyle sweaters, thanks!

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/03/06 at 2:59 pm

The preppie look has been in since The O.C. came out in late 2003, displacing the velour tracksuit look for style-conscious teen girls. That kind of sweater made a huge comeback in 05-06...both as a preppie and an emo thing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/03/06 at 11:31 pm

What's next?  ::)  ;D

Written By: karen on 05/04/06 at 5:41 am

There were also argyle socks that were popular in the 80s. 

I think I've still got mine.  I'll have to dig them out!

Check for new replies or respond here...