inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s or '90s TV Show?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/03/06 at 8:35 pm

Respond with your own opinion, both your own rating and your opinion of mine:

1987-
Married with Children-'90s, just like the Fox network and sitcoms about dysfunctional lower middle-class to middle-class families.
Full House-It's really an '80s show, despite having continued until '95. Or '80s-early '90s, but there's something very '80s about it.
thirtysomething-It has '90s influence, having influenced '90s night-time soap operas, but it's a show about yuppies in the late '80s, and an '80s show.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-Very, very, very early '90s.

1988-
Roseanne-A very '90s show, fitting in with it being about a dysfunctional family, etc.
The Wonder Years-I personally think of it as more early '90s, because of the '70s nostalgia factor.
America's Most Wanted-'90s-style sleaze.

1989-
Cops-Again, '90s style sleaze.
The Arsenio Hall Show-Along with In Living Color, emblematic of the black cultural rebirth of the '90s.
Tales from the Crypt-'90s.
America's Funniest Home Videos-This is pretty '90s.
The Simpsons-It's '90s of all seasons.
Seinfeld-Again, '90s of all seasons.

1990-
In Living Color-Another "black Renaissance", early '90s thing.
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air-Pretty '90s.
Law and Order-'90s: gritty and dark.
Twin Peaks-'90s: quirky and hip.

Subject: Re: '80s or '90s TV Show?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 9:07 pm

Most all the shows you mention are quite 90s...the most 80s would be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...I had no idea Law and Order began in 1990. We only got it in 2000.  ???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/03/06 at 9:33 pm

I'll comment on Full House, since after all it is one of my favorite shows.

I think a TV show is generally a product of the time it came out in.  There are exceptions to his.  For instance "Cheers", while spanning from 1982 to 1993 is in many ways an "early '90s" show. 

But to get to Full House: datewise, it's obviously more '90s, since it was on for less than a quarter of the '80s and more than half of the '90s.  However the show itself is largely a product of the '80s.

However, at the same time it peaked around 1990-91 in terms of popularity (which some of us would say IS the Eighties  ;D), and it's always seemed more "modern" to me than most late '80s/early '90s shows do for some reason.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/03/06 at 9:36 pm

Yea I think most of those shows are very '90s type shows, but the early Married With Children episodes were very '80s, well obviously since they actually were in the '80s, lol. Full House always seemed very early '90s to me.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/04/06 at 2:31 am

I must concur with the vast majority.

Of course, we all know exceptions. Here are 3 specific ones:

DOCTOR WHO- This amazing show started in 1963, but American popularity didn't really hit until about 1978-80. Yet except for the newest series entries, the vast majority of episodes seem very '80s-ish. Perhaps it was in the filming methods, or the fact that Tom Baker could survive a fall on his head with all those damn curls.....

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES- This show started in 1985, yet never seemed all that '80s-ish. It's like Robert Stack was stuck on 2nd gear, after watching too much "In Search Of..." (I blame Leonard Nimoy's voice.)

ANY SHORT-LIVED SHOW IN THE EARLY '80S- There were some shows, such as "Automan", and "Wizards & Warriors", which had that definite '80s feel, and they weren't well-received by the public. Then there were some shows which were ahead of their time, such as one of my favorites: "Max Headroom". (I actually got to meet "Max" once. He was quite amusing!) Personally, I think it would be ideal for Matt Frewer to revive this idyllic series, and see what bubbles next.
-Of course, there are those few shows we are glad DIDN'T get past the pilot season, like "The Tortellis"- the spin-off show from "Cheers".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:44 pm

TV in the '80s was, to be totally honest, pretty bad. It was one big long lowpoint, with a few exceptions, between the golden decades of the '70s and '90s. In terms of TV, I would say that the '90s really started happening in 1987, even if not in the pop charts. I generally agree with the theory that you mentioned, though as you said there are some exceptions...like the late '80s, for one, but mostly because '80s TV was largely pretty asinine.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/05/06 at 3:12 am

There are 3 '80s shows I miss:

"Manimal"
"Fridays"- the failed answer to "SNL", but I loved it!
"Punky Brewster"- I used to make fun of her- her guardian was the Commandant from "Police Academy"!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 3:17 am

TV in the '80s was, to be totally honest, pretty bad. It was one big long lowpoint, with a few exceptions, between the golden decades of the '70s and '90s. In terms of TV, I would say that the '90s really started happening in 1987, even if not in the pop charts. I generally agree with the theory that you mentioned, though as you said there are some exceptions...like the late '80s, for one, but mostly because '80s TV was largely pretty asinine.

I don't think TV in the 80's was bad at all. There were some great shows still on throughout the 80's. I would say the 90's may have had an upperhand in some cases, but the 80's was still hot stuff. I miss watching episodes of Webster, Silver Spoons, Wonder Years, Quantum Leap, Unsolved Mysteries, Name that Tune, Punky Brewster, and dam*nit, even Kids Incorporated!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 3:23 am

1987-
Married with Children-'90s, just like the Fox network and sitcoms about dysfunctional lower middle-class to middle-class families.
Full House-It's really an '80s show, despite having continued until '95. Or '80s-early '90s, but there's something very '80s about it.
thirtysomething-It has '90s influence, having influenced '90s night-time soap operas, but it's a show about yuppies in the late '80s, and an '80s show.

1988-
Roseanne-A very '90s show, fitting in with it being about a dysfunctional family, etc.
The Wonder Years-I personally think of it as more early '90s, because of the '70s nostalgia factor.

1989-
The Arsenio Hall Show-Along with In Living Color, emblematic of the black cultural rebirth of the '90s.

1990-

The 70's on the Wonder Years I don't think really started until the show ran into 1990. I think the show began in the year "1968" so, two years later, that would be 1970. Unless they skipped on some time. I mainly remember this because I watched this show from beginning until end. I was a die hard fan. I even watched the reruns until those stopped  :\'(

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/24/15 at 2:42 pm

Good topic, and I'd like to add a few more in bold.

1987-
A Different World- '80s. Basically The Cosby Show but for college students.
21 Jump Street- '80s
Beauty and the Beast- '80s
Duck Tales- '80s
Finder's Keepers- '80s
The Tracey Ullman Show- '80s

Married with Children-'90s
Full House- '80s in its earlier seasons, '90s in its later seasons
thirtysomething-'80s
Remote Control- '80s
Square One TV- '80s
Unsolved Mysteries- Actually started in '87, but a very late '80s/early '90s show. Was cutting edge when it started, but seemed to lose popularity after 1992.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- '80s in its early-mid seasons, '90s in its final few seasons
Win, Lose or Draw- '80s

1988-
Roseanne- '90s
The Wonder Years- Retro late '60s-early '70s with late '80s-early '90s production style
America's Most Wanted-'90s
China Beach- See The Wonder Years
Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers- '80s
Dear John- '80s
Empty Nest- '80s
Garfield & Friends- '80s
In The Heat of the Night- '80s
Just the Ten of Us- '80s
Murphy Brown- '80s. This show felt very clean cut compared to Seinfeld in its later seasons.
Yo! MTV Raps- '80s. Very "old school rappish" before it went gangsta.

1989-
Coach- Early '90s
Cops-'90s
The Arsenio Hall Show- Early '90s.
Tales from the Crypt- '90s.
America's Funniest Home Videos- '90s.
The Simpsons- '90s
Seinfeld- '90s
Captain N and the Game Master/The Super Mario Bros. Super Show- '80s
Family Matters- Early '90s
Hey Dude- Early '90s
Saved By The Bell- Early '90s
Shining Time Station- '80s. I did hear the "totally rad" in a first season episode and most of the Thomas the Tank Engine segments are from 1984-89.
Doogie Howser, M.D.- '80s. The theme song, monochrome computer, and "smarter is better" confirms for the former.
Rescue 911- '90s. Another reality police show like COPS.
Totally Hidden Video -'90s

1990-
Beverly Hills 90210- '90s
Captain Planet- '80s
Dream On- Early '90s
In Living Color- Early '90s
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Early '90s.
Law and Order- Mid-late '90s
TaleSpin- '80s. Still closer in style to Gummi Bears than Gargoyles.
Twin Peaks- Very early '90s
MTV Unpluged- '90s
Wild & Crazy Kids- Very early '90s
Wings- '90s

Basically, 1987 was still the heart of '80s TV with only a few subtle hints of what's to come. 1988 strays a bit more in this direction, but by and large the '80s were still dominant, with the writers' strike that year slowing artistic progress. 1989 was the start of the transition, but of course with many carryovers from the peak '80s, it was still a slow progress, however with the end of Miami Vice and Family Ties, things were definitely showing signs of change. Around the Fall of 1991 is when the TV that was '90s themed based on current shows and returning shows became '90s-dominated IMO.

Written By: Ripley on 10/24/15 at 8:18 pm

These were my two favorite decades for TV.  So many good shows.  I'll list my favorites in another post when I make a long list maybe haha

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/24/15 at 9:40 pm

Good topic, and I'd like to add a few more in bold.

Basically, 1987 was still the heart of '80s TV with only a few subtle hints of what's to come. 1988 strays a bit more in this direction, but by and large the '80s were still dominant, with the writers' strike that year slowing artistic progress. 1989 was the start of the transition, but of course with many carryovers from the peak '80s, it was still a slow progress, however with the end of Miami Vice and Family Ties, things were definitely showing signs of change. Around the Fall of 1991 is when the TV that was '90s themed based on current shows and returning shows became '90s-dominated IMO.

One of the interesting things that began to happen in the late '80s (that really gave a hint of what was to come in the '90s) was the backlash against the traditional style family sitcom. "Married... With Children" in '87, "Roseanne" in '88, and "The Simpsons" in '89 were all pushed at the time of their debut as the "anti-Cosby Show", with successful results for all three shows. It seems as if, by the late '80s, there was a growing level of fatigue among some people towards the typical well-to-do-family-with-perfect-kids premise that so many sitcoms had at the time. On balance though I would agree that television in 1987-89 was still "very '80s" in tone.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/15 at 2:38 pm

One of the interesting things that began to happen in the late '80s (that really gave a hint of what was to come in the '90s) was the backlash against the traditional style family sitcom. "Married... With Children" in '87, "Roseanne" in '88, and "The Simpsons" in '89 were all pushed at the time of their debut as the "anti-Cosby Show", with successful results for all three shows. It seems as if, by the late '80s, there was a growing level of fatigue among some people towards the typical well-to-do-family-with-perfect-kids premise that so many sitcoms had at the time. On balance though I would agree that television in 1987-89 was still "very '80s" in tone.

Most of the family sitcoms were on their way out such as Silver Spoons ended in 1987, Family Ties ended in 1989 and Gimmie A Break ended in 1987.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/26/15 at 7:50 am

1987-

1988-

1989-

1990-

The extended theme to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air sounds no different than Will's '80s stuff.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/26/15 at 4:25 pm

I prefer to just call most of these Bush '41-era shows, but I'll give my two cents anyways:

Married with Children - This began in the 80s, but it remained highly popular well into the 90s, so 90s.

Duck Tales - Strictly late 80s.

Full House - This was on longer in the 90s than the 80s, but its prime was the late 80s.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - This was popular in the late 80s, but it peaked in the very early 90s.  That being said, the late 80s vibe was still pretty dominant in 1990, so it's easier for me to call this a late 80s show.

Roseanne - Late 80s, for the same reasons as Full House and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The Simpsons - I'd say this was strictly a 90s show, though the Bartmania seasons are better categorized as Bush '41-era.

Captain N: The Game Master - Late 80s, since the NES was much more associated with the late 80s, whereas the early 90s were all about the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.  Still primarily a Bush '41 show, though, considering it was on longer in the 1990s than the 1980s.

Seinfeld - Definitely 90s, especially since the first season had only 5 episodes and is the least popular of the series.

Saved By the Bell - Quintessentially Bush '41-era, but probably a bit more early 90s than late 80s.

Twin Peaks - 90s only, but really the Bush '41 90s, like the Bartmania Simpsons episodes and post-movie TMNT seasons.

The Fresh Prince of Bell Air - The Fresh Prince was already somewhat popular in the late 80s, but the show itself is solidly early 90s.

In Living Colour - Strictly early 90s, died with the early 90s as Jim Carrey became the hottest comedy film actor around its cancellation.

Tiny Toons Adventures - Strictly early 90s.

Captain Planet and the Planeteers - Early 90s.

Beverley Hills 90210 - Early 90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/26/15 at 10:22 pm

Duck Tales - Strictly late 80s.

The '87-'89 episodes, yes. People were still watching reruns, seeing the movie, buying the party invitations, and reading the comic books in the early '90s.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/15 at 2:44 pm

The Simpsons - I'd say this was strictly a 90s show, though the Bartmania seasons are better categorized as Bush '41-era.

I can't believe this show has been on for almost 26 years. :o

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/29/15 at 2:03 pm

1987-

1988-

1989-

1990-

Shows We Were Watching in the Spring of 1990

Married With Children
Full House
Thirtysomething
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (syndicated version)
Roseanne
The Wonder Years
America's Most Wanted
America's Funniest Home Videos
The Arsenio Hall Show
Twin Peaks

Shows People were Enjoying in the Spring of 1993

Cops
Tales from the Crypt
Seinfeld
In Living Color
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Repeats of Twin Peaks on Bravo

I'm not sure when Law and Order caught on with the American populace. 1996 maybe? I don't know.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/29/15 at 2:31 pm

The Fresh Prince of Bell Air - The Fresh Prince was already somewhat popular in the late 80s, but the show itself is solidly early 90s.

In Living Colour - Strictly early 90s, died with the early 90s as Jim Carrey became the hottest comedy film actor around its cancellation.

Tiny Toons Adventures - Strictly early 90s.

Captain Planet and the Planeteers - Early 90s.

Beverley Hills 90210 - Early 90s.

Everyone in my area knew the rap to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air by the winter of 1992. The show started sliding down the slippery slope in the fall of 1993 when the new Aunt Viv appeared. People were still watching it on NBC in 1994 during the time when the reruns were WPIX11.

As for In Living Color, people did not put it down until Jim left. Like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, they moved on to the FX repeats shortly afterward.

Tiny Toon Adventures merchandise was still in stores by the time 1995 ended.  It was a big deal when the show premiered in the fall of 1990, but more people caught reruns of the show in the mid '90s.

Captain Planet (second longest running cartoon of the 1990s) was on from the fall of 1990 to May of 1996. It's a very 1993 type show, so it's mid '90s.

Same for Beverly Hills 90210. It was a show that first aired IN the early '90s, so it does not qualify as an early '90s show.  The show was at its peak in the spring of 1993:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/053/0/9227949/il_570xN.733431889_aqg7.jpg

It jumped the shark the very minute that season 4 began airing. 

Check for new replies or respond here...