inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was new wave/synth pop chick music in the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/03/06 at 9:30 pm

Was new wave and synth pop generally music for girls in the '80s?  Or was it originally for both, but became for girls in the late '80s when metal took over?

Subject: Re: Was new wave/synth pop chick music in the '80s?

Written By: lleelee on 05/03/06 at 11:35 pm

Was new wave and synth pop generally music for girls in the '80s?  Or was it originally for both, but became for girls in the late '80s when metal took over?

Interesting subject, I dont think new wave was specifically listened to by girls only. Just like I don't believe heavy metal music was only enjoyed by men. Alot of new wave music , yes it did have a large female following, only because the music was more romantic, lightweight but stylish.  Of course MTV did more to promote to this genre to the hilt. It reached its peak by 1988 and our musical taste changed.

Men were into new wave music too back then, but of course we're quick too say they must be gay, no they straight ones too.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/04/06 at 8:34 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/repuke.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:24 am

Interesting subject, I dont think new wave was specifically listened to by girls only. Just like I don't believe heavy metal music was only enjoyed by men. Alot of new wave music , yes it did have a large female following, only because the music was more romantic, lightweight but stylish.  Of course MTV did more to promote to this genre to the hilt. It reached its peak by 1988 and our musical taste changed.

Men were into new wave music too back then, but of course we're quick too say they must be gay, no they straight ones too.

Definitely not...it was about 50/50...metal and punk had a large female following but were still male. Maybe only the most 'romantic, lightweight/stylish (whatever that means)' stuff like Meatloaf's love ballads!

But I've never associated New Wave specifically with girls/gay guys. It was SO mainstream back in 82, just like top forty radio.

Written By: Chasey on 05/04/06 at 1:29 pm

Neither one nor the other in my opinion.  Although New wave did tend to attract the more 'punky' style of girl I guess.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:37 pm

It was both, really. It had a huge female following, but at its peak alot of guys loved it too. Though A Flock of Seagulls and a-ha were big girl bands, and I've known alot more girls than guys who've liked the Smiths back in the '80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...