inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need help building a play list.

Written By: Ducky on 05/06/06 at 12:26 am

I've been trying to think of great songs that have chorus groups singing in them such as the Rattle & Hum version of "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
I seem to remember one with a chorus of children singing, but I don't remember what.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Subject: Re: Need help building a play list.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/06 at 1:12 am

Gotta go for Sisters of Mercy here, _This Corrosion_, from _Floodland_.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floodland

Rumor has it they tried to get (damn, brain's on the fritz, I'm not sure whether it was a choral group associated with the London Symphony Orchestra or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, someone set me straight on this, but I can't find the references tonight)...

Anyways, after one glance at the lyrics of the album, the "more prestigious" choral group turned it down.  The New York Choral Socity took over and did a sterling job. 

The NYCS did the _rest_ of the Floodland album too, but _This Corrosion_ is probably the most anthemic track on the album.  If you're in a "cold war", you'll dig "Lucretia/Mother Russia".  If you're in a (as U2 was oft to do) "vanity of vanities, all is vanity" sort of mood, you'll dig This Corrosion.  It's 180 degrees opposed to "Desire", but in a good way. 

Hmph.  None of those words made any sense.  Get thee a copy.  It's easy to fit into any playlist.  The chorus singing in the background is some of the hauntingly-beautiful best singing ever to sneak its way onto the pop music charts.  If it weren't so sacriligious, it'd be downright holy.  (But these days, who can tell the difference?  The fact that we could no longer tell the difference between holiness and sacrilege was, after all, the Sisters' whole raison d'etre.)

Written By: Violater on 05/07/06 at 12:40 pm

I think the song you are thinking of with a children's chorus may be "Youth of a Nation."

But, if you are talking 80's songs with a chorus, you must add Madonna's "Like a Prayer" to the list!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/07/06 at 6:32 pm

It's not from the 80s, but "Let Me Live" by Queen (from the 1996 Made In Heaven album) has some beautiful black gospel choruses in it.

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 6:55 am

I've been trying to think of great songs that have chorus groups singing in them such as the Rattle & Hum version of "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
I seem to remember one with a chorus of children singing, but I don't remember what.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd.  (Technically a 70s song, but only just) has a children' choir in it.

I can think of some with just a children's choir singing but I won't mention those because you said you wanted great songs!

Written By: stingr22 on 05/08/06 at 9:16 am

"Cry Little Sister" by Charlie Sexton has a children's choir in it.
"I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner

Written By: musicman90 on 05/14/06 at 12:40 am

I heard a commercial recently with an old Pat Benatar song "We Belong." There are children singing the Chorus. Is this what you are looking for?

Check for new replies or respond here...