inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s/'90s Dance Divas and Their Progression

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 8:46 am

I've been trying to trace the progression of the influences on the dance divas of the '80s, '90s, and in a way the '00s. Madonna really started the "dance diva" craze, which started taking off in 1987 or so with Jody Watley and Janet Jackson, and peaked 1989-1991 with those artists and Paula Abdul, Kylie Minogue, etc. Their music sounded astonishingly similar, those last three, actually. You could say the dance diva dates back to Donna Summer, originally, who is herself influenced heavily by Diana Ross, and ABBA was also a big influence. Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, TLC, and more minor '00s stars like Ciara and Rihanna have taken alot from them, too.

So it's really:

Diana Ross-Donna Summer/ABBA-Madonna/Irene Cara-Paula Abdul/Jody Watley/Janet Jackson/Kylie Minogue-Mariah Carey/TLC/En Vogue-Gwen Stefani-Beyonce-Ciara/Rihanna.

Subject: Re: '80s/'90s Dance Divas and Their Progression

Written By: Satish on 05/06/06 at 5:50 pm

How do Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera fit into all this?

And what about girl groups like the Spice Girls, Bananarama and the P***ycat Dolls(sorry, but their name's too obscene for me to type out!)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:53 pm

Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are descended from the Osmonds and Tiffany, but with the sexuality of Madonna, Janet Jackson, et. al. The Spice Girls, TLC, etc. combine the girl-group and a hip-pop sound with the direct sexuality and pro-femininity of Madonna, Paula Abdul, etc. and Salt N' Pepa.

Written By: Satish on 05/06/06 at 6:06 pm

Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera are descended from the Osmonds and Tiffany, but with the sexuality of Madonna, Janet Jackson, et. al.111

Hmmm.... I think Britney and Christina owe much more to Madonna and Janet Jackson than they do to Tiffany. And you might disagree with me, but I'd also say they have quite a bit of influence from the Go-Gos, Bangles and Belinda Carlisle.

BTW, Hillary Duff is definitely a direct descendant of the Bangles and Go-gos. She even did a cover of "Our Lips are Sealed".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 6:22 pm

Hmmm.... I think Britney and Christina owe much more to Madonna and Janet Jackson than they do to Tiffany. And you might disagree with me, but I'd also say they have quite a bit of influence from the Go-Gos, Bangles and Belinda Carlisle.

BTW, Hillary Duff is definitely a direct descendant of the Bangles and Go-gos. She even did a cover of "Our Lips are Sealed".

Yeah, there's some Bangles and Go-Gos influence there. They're like teenybopper/bubblegum versions of big '80s artists like Madonna and Janet Jackson.

Written By: lleelee on 05/07/06 at 12:14 am

I've been trying to trace the progression of the influences on the dance divas of the '80s, '90s, and in a way the '00s. Madonna really started the "dance diva" craze, which started taking off in 1987 or so with Jody Watley and Janet Jackson, and peaked 1989-1991 with those artists and Paula Abdul, Kylie Minogue, etc. Their music sounded astonishingly similar, those last three, actually. You could say the dance diva dates back to Donna Summer, originally, who is herself influenced heavily by Diana Ross, and ABBA was also a big influence. Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, TLC, and more minor '00s stars like Ciara and Rihanna have taken alot from them, too.

So it's really:

Diana Ross-Donna Summer/ABBA-Madonna/Irene Cara-Paula Abdul/Jody Watley/Janet Jackson/Kylie Minogue-Mariah Carey/TLC/En Vogue-Gwen Stefani-Beyonce-Ciara/Rihanna.

When I think back to the original dance divas in the 70s (Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and Thelma Houston)  their on stage performances were pretty tamed. Despite being part of the disco era, they played it "safe" didnt do anything too controversial. When the 80s came around we had Sheena Easton,(before Prince) Olivia-Newton-John, Melissa Manchester, Irene Cara, Laura Braningan and Kim Carnes. still these women were one dimensional. (Yes Im aware a few spilled over from the 70s) When Madonna appeared on the scene let's face she was the first video-pop female artist. She made it hip to be sexual  to sell yourself by your own rules.  Dancing was also a tool  used to promote yourself (Madonna , Janet Jackson, and Paula Abdul) In the 90s was an emergence of alternative rock, so some dance divas held on to their popularity and some lost it. We were introduce to Mariah Carey but notice she played it "safe" to sell yourself on her voice alone not her body. (Now she doesnt do a video unless she's showing skin) EnVogue truly had singing talent. TLC was promoting fun and safe sex at the same time.

By the late 90s the Spice Girls were popular only because there was a new generation of young girls that didnt have any female singing idols. They open the door to Britney Spears Christina Aguilera, and Jessica Simpson. Being a diva now requires the whole package singing dancing and be shocking in between. Beyonce ,Shakira, Ciara Jennifer Lopez  shake their moneymakers quite well I might add. They know it takes more than being able to sing to sell a record.

Dance Divas wil never end let's face what would we do without 'em  lol

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 9:11 pm

bump...

Check for new replies or respond here...