inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s Rock In the US w/o The British Invasion

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:40 pm

I speculate that alternative rock (R.E.M., Husker Du, Sonic Youth) would have become poppier more quickly and been very popular starting in the mid-'80s, and a more "American" new wave a la Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, the Talking Heads, the Cars, would have developed. In alot of ways, the first 2/3 of the '90s were just suppressed '80s musical styles coming to the fore.

Subject: Re: '80s Rock In the US w/o The British Invasion

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/06 at 6:16 pm

I speculate that alternative rock (R.E.M., Husker Du, Sonic Youth) would have become poppier more quickly and been very popular starting in the mid-'80s, and a more "American" new wave a la Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, the Talking Heads, the Cars, would have developed. In alot of ways, the first 2/3 of the '90s were just suppressed '80s musical styles coming to the fore.

That could be true in a sense. I could see that since REM's mega hit "Losing My Religion" *which is probably my only favorite song of their's next to "Everybody Hurts"* was from 1990-1991, that they were pretty much bordering the 80's to a major degree, but finally didn't breakthrough up until that point.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 6:21 pm

That could be true in a sense. I could see that since REM's mega hit "Losing My Religion" *which is probably my only favorite song of their's next to "Everybody Hurts"* was from 1990-1991, that they were pretty much bordering the 80's to a major degree, but finally didn't breakthrough up until that point.

Yeah, they formed in 1983.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/06 at 6:32 pm

Yeah, they formed in 1983.

Even Bruce Sprintsteen who had some hits in the 70s didn't really seem to breakthrough until the 80s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 8:41 pm

Even Bruce Sprintsteen who had some hits in the 70s didn't really seem to breakthrough until the 80s.

Bruce Springsteen was sort of an anomaly in the '80s, he didn't fit in with the prevailing attitudes of the time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/07/06 at 3:03 am

Bruce Springsteen was sort of an anomaly in the '80s, he didn't fit in with the prevailing attitudes of the time.

Some of his stuff seemed to fit in just fine, like "Dancing in the Dark" and "Born in the U.S.A." but some of his stuff still wasn't totally within some of the generic stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...