inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you ever met your teen idol/crush at the time(or years after)???

Written By: saver on 05/06/06 at 7:02 pm

What did you find after meeting your teen idol?

Occasionally there is a time when they are easier to access(like at a signing show)....
Some look really desparate and others who knows what they are thinking as they have passed that phase of career??

(Some still think they are hot I bet!)

Subject: Re: Have you ever met your teen idol/crush at the time(or years after)???

Written By: wndysbg on 05/06/06 at 7:19 pm

Well, they were not my idols. . .  but I did meet a few of the "famous" celebrities of the '80's.

Kirk Cameron stepped on my foot while he was walking backwards reciting lines for the movie "Listen to Me" which was filmed at Pepperdine University where I was attending.  He was very apologetic and very polite.  Nice guy.

Saw Tom Cruise in a restuarant in Malibu in 1986 and was NOT impressed.  He looks much better on screen than he does in person.

Emilio Estevez held a door open for me at AM/PM mini market in Malibu and he was very mannerly and even tipped the hat he was wearing and wished my friend and I a good evening.  NOW he looked good in person.

Plus - Madonna almost ran me over with her bicycle.  She use to work out at the Pepperdine campus.  I was reading a letter and stepped into the street without looking and she yelled at me.  My fault.    Guys use to sit in their dorm room that faced this one set of stairs and watch her run up and down the stairs.  Madonna sightings were very frequent on campus.

Subject: Re: Have you ever met your teen idol/crush at the time(or years after)???

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/07/06 at 3:16 am

I was at opening night of The Producers (stage show not movie) in Sydney last year and ran into an actor I had such a huge crush on in 1984 (for the Aussies here who will remember - Dr Simon from A Country Practice !!).

So what do I do - walk up to him - he would be in his late 40s early 50s now - and say "Hi Grant - I was so in love with you when I was 16 !!!!".

How embarrassing. Fortunately I was able to follow that up with plenty of intelligent conversation about aussie quota's on aussie tv stations and the lack of quality drama or comedy for aussie actors these days etc so I am hoping he forgets my opening line !

I run websites for two other aussie actors - both of whom I had massive crushes on in the 70s. So meeting them in recent years has been funny. One made me feel so relaxed that I totally forgot my crush and chatted away for hours. But the other is so tall and handsome and enigmatic that I just quiver like jelly and stuggle to construct an intelligent sentence with him. I feel so stupid each time and want to walk away and smash my head on a wall !

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/07/06 at 6:26 pm

BMG, you didin't even mention Brian Mannix! Or Iva Davies, for that matter.......I guess you just had limited space and time, darling. Well, I am going to me tion, Brian Mannix, cos he is in fact the only "celebrity crush" that I have met. It was after a pub gig in 2004. I was surprised at how good he still looks and even more so how nice he is, not to mention flirtatious!
As the old Fleetwood Mac song goes:

You are a beautiful child
And I am a fool once more

Fell iin love when I was only ten
The years disappeared
Much has gone by since then.....

;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 4:54 am

BMG, you didin't even mention Brian Mannix! Or Iva Davies, for that matter.......I guess you just had limited space and time, darling. Well, I am going to me tion, Brian Mannix, cos he is in fact the only "celebrity crush" that I have met. It was after a pub gig in 2004. I was surprised at how good he still looks and even more so how nice he is, not to mention flirtatious!
As the old Fleetwood Mac song goes:

You are a beautiful child
And I am a fool once more

Fell iin love when I was only ten
The years disappeared
Much has gone by since then.....

;)

But I met Brian at the time that I had a crush on him - not 20 years later. I was sorta more talking about ones I have met recently after having a crush on them years ago. But yes how could I forget meeting Iva last year - that was so embarassing (same party as Dr Simon actually).

I love those lyrics - which song is it ?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/14/06 at 8:07 am

The song is "Beautiful Child".

Check for new replies or respond here...