inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Safety Dance

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 5:39 pm

This song is so stupid, but I LOVE it!!  :D

The lyrics are actually really angry, or at least sarcastic if you listen to them.

Subject: Re: The Safety Dance

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 6:47 pm

The lyrics are actually really angry, or at least sarcastic if you listen to them.

I've read that either the song is about safe sex or about nucular war. 

Written By: Ed216 on 05/08/06 at 10:03 pm

You are right, the song is stupid. I always hated it. I remember seeing the video on Mtv a few times, and that just made it even worse. I mean what in the world were they doing in that thing? And the dancing was so dumb! Plus, I never understood what kind of stupid name Men Without Hats was for a band. They must have been high on something when they came up with that!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 10:59 pm

You are right, the song is stupid. I always hated it. I remember seeing the video on Mtv a few times, and that just made it even worse. I mean what in the world were they doing in that thing? And the dancing was so dumb! Plus, I never understood what kind of stupid name Men Without Hats was for a band. They must have been high on something when they came up with that!

Yes, because any band with a weird name had to have been high when coming up with the name.  Great deduction.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/06 at 11:27 pm

I love The Safety Dance, and not just because it's Canadian (well maybe LOL), but it is also very catchy!

What some people know is that Men Without Hats had another big US Hit in 1987 with "Pop Goes the World", but what many people don't know, is that Men Without Hats had a whole bunch of other hits that were pretty much only popular in Canada

Written By: Gis on 05/09/06 at 5:54 am

It was neither of those. I just watched a show called 'The top 100 one hit wonders' and The Safety Dance was on it. It is actually about the fact that they banned moshing in Canada at the time and so the guys wrote the song about it as they thought it was a stupid rule.
Apparently one of the brothers from the band has never worked again because he made enough money from just that one song

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/09/06 at 8:44 am

Auuugh! Do not remind me of that... that... thing! I had to live through that time.

In a way, I kinda hope it wasn't about sex, because it even made its way onto Captain Kangaroo a few times. Very scarring to young psyches.

Written By: Ed216 on 05/09/06 at 4:43 pm

Yes, because any band with a weird name had to have been high when coming up with the name.  Great deduction.   ::)

Lighten up! I was making a joke. You have heard of those haven't you? I'm sure they weren't high when they came up with the name for the band, but I still think it's a stupid name and it was a stupid song.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/06 at 5:36 pm

Yeah, it was a stupid song by a band with a stupid name and it had a stupid video-but I liked it.  :-[ It had a catchy tune.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/06 at 5:53 pm

The video was funny as heck! It was just some form of historical fair or something - very bizarre. I thought the woman in it was on something, lol.

The dwarf was hilarious too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/06 at 6:06 pm

The video was funny as heck! It was just some form of historical fair or something - very bizarre. I thought the woman in it was on something, lol.

The dwarf was hilarious too.

Yeah, I thought that woman was on something, too.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/06 at 6:07 pm

In the final frames of the video there are pictures of various missiles in the air so I am inclined to go with nuclear war (though to me it doesn't fit the lyrics). I have also heard that it was a protest by the lead singer who got thrown out of many clubs for moshing.

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/06 at 6:08 pm

Yeah, I thought that woman was on something, too.  ;D

She was far too wild-eyed for my liking, lol.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/09/06 at 9:02 pm

I like the song alot.  :-[  ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/11/06 at 10:24 am

In the final frames of the video there are pictures of various missiles in the air so I am inclined to go with nuclear war (though to me it doesn't fit the lyrics). I have also heard that it was a protest by the lead singer who got thrown out of many clubs for moshing.

See my previous answer ! The guy himself said it was about them banning moshing in Canada.
Also they interviewed the guy who was the dwarf in the video and he was a very funny bloke. He pointed out one bit in the video where they are dancing through the corn field and he falls over, when you know what to look for it was hilarious. 

Written By: Bobby on 05/11/06 at 10:46 am

See my previous answer ! The guy himself said it was about them banning moshing in Canada.
Also they interviewed the guy who was the dwarf in the video and he was a very funny bloke. He pointed out one bit in the video where they are dancing through the corn field and he falls over, when you know what to look for it was hilarious.   

Oops, sorry for missing that, Gis.  :-[

I bet the dwarf was funny. I loved it when he went through those people's legs. I need to see that video now - midgets falling over is hilarious! Reminds me of that Christmas song "Happy Chrimbo" by Bo Selecta where Avid Merrion plays Michael Jackson doing a parody of 'Thriller' with those midget elves, one of them attempts a cartwheel and he doesn't pull it off right - it kills me to watch it every time.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...