inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '80s and Soundtrack Songs

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 9:09 pm

Soundtrack songs were a very big thing in the '80s...not that they weren't huge in the '70s and '90s, too...but they were huge in the '80s. Movies/TV shows with prominent singles that hit high on the charts off of them:

Ghostbusters,
Purple Rain,
Miami Vice
Flashdance,
St. Elmo's Fire,
Footloose,
Fame,
At Close Range,
Who's That Girl,
La Bamba,
Nine to Five,
Cocktail,
Top Gun,

Subject: Re: The '80s and Soundtrack Songs

Written By: Bobby on 05/11/06 at 3:19 pm

I always viewed the 80s as the soundtrack decade. Karate Kid, Labyrinth, Secret of my Success and Electric Dreams also had their moments. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 6:27 pm

Now, hmm...soundtracks in other decades. Shaft, Grease, American Graffitti, Saturday Night Fever, Star Wars all had very successful '70s soundtracks, and Titanic, The Bodyguard, She's All That, Magnolia all had successful '90s soundtracks. But overall, the whole soundtrack thing was huge in the '80s.

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 7:36 pm

I always viewed the 80s as the soundtrack decade. Karate Kid, Labyrinth, Secret of my Success and Electric Dreams also had their moments. 

Those are all great soundtracks.  I like "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito.  Shame it was never released as a single.  It would have been a hit for sure :)

I also loved the track "Video" by Jeff Lynne (from Electric Dreams).  It was a small hit in 1984, and very catchy :)

One of my favourite soundtracks is Scarface.  Didn't like the movie (too much violence), but the soundtrack was great and included the little remembered, but fantastic hit "Rush Rush" by Debbie Harry :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/12/06 at 1:27 am

OK, NOW we hit on a good subject for me to throw my $2.00 in on!

Big soundtracks from the '70s: Star Wars IV (of course!)
Xanadu- the song "Dancin'", which combined Olivia Newton-John's '40s swing style & Andrews Sisters sound with the electric rock sound of The Tubes
Saturday Night Fever, naturally
Grease- also, naturally.
Highlander- Queen's awesome songs really highlight this film.

Big '80s Soundtracks: Ghostbusters
Excalibur- there were no individual songs per se, but if you listen to the whole thing, you will note that it pretty much laid the groundwork for scores of dozens of future fantasy films.
Caddyshack- This is what really springboarded Kenny Loggins's career.
Flash Gordon- Hey, with Queen doing the music, can ya really lose?!?
Fast Times At Ridgemont High- 'Nuff said!

Check for new replies or respond here...