inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soul and New Wave/the '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 9:17 pm

'80s music was very, very influenced by '60s-style soul, though the synthesizers made this less apparent. The Eurythmics, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, Soft Cell, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, George Michael, Squeeze, etc. were heavily soul/Motown-influenced. And people didn't seem to hide it, either: MJ and Madonna trace their lineage directly to Diana Ross, Soft Cell covered the northern soul classic "Tainted Love" (the original is pretty awesome, actually), Pet Shop Boys did a duet with Dusty Springfield, George Michael and the Eurythmics did duets with Aretha Franklin, etc. Also, the super-glossy yet vital-sounding production of the mid-'80s is very soul-influenced. This came to the fore even more later with the popularity of soft soul-influenced A/C in the late '80s.

Subject: Re: Soul and New Wave/the '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 9:28 pm

bump...

Written By: lleelee on 05/10/06 at 2:22 pm

Another example that comes to mind is the band 'ABC's' tribute to Smokey Robinson, "When Smokey Sings" sounds very Motown influenced. British artists always had a deep appreciation for R&B/Soul music it goes back to the 60s. 8)

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/06 at 5:25 pm

These songs entered the charts in 87/88

'Reet Petite' - Jackie Wilson
'Your love takes me higher and higher' - Jackie Wilson
'My baby just cares for me' - Nina Simone
'Stand by me' - Ben E King
'When a man loves a woman' - Percy Sledge

All were hits in the 50s/60s.

Written By: _adam_ on 05/11/06 at 10:18 am

Culture club is a New wave band with soul influence.Especially "Do really want to hurt me"
Also Eurothmics,"There must be an angel".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 2:01 pm

"Missionary Man", "There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)", and "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves" are very soul Eurythmics song. George Michael's solo work and Madonna's late '80s, "Like a Prayer" period is very '60s soul.

Check for new replies or respond here...