inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Early '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 9:28 pm

What do you consider the "early '80s" to be? I think it was sometime in 1981 until "Billie Jean" hit #1 in spring 1983. It is the period characterized by corny early synth-pop like Blondie, Rick Springfield, "867-5309", "Gloria" by Laura Branigan, the last survivors of '70s A/C and stadium rock before they became '80s, and a general proto-'80s but not quite fully '80s feeling. Any comments as to the nature of the early '80s? In underground culture, it was the peak of new wave, with the Talking Heads, Squeeze, Joy Divsion, etc. releasing their best work.

Subject: Re: The Early '80s

Written By: Gis on 05/09/06 at 5:56 am

Well the whole New Romantic thing was massive in the U.K in the early 80's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 3:13 pm

In other words, how would you define the early '80s and its character? Anybody?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 12:28 am

I would define the early '80s as 1980 until 1983.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/10/06 at 12:43 am

Early '80s is technically 1980-early 1983.  Pop culturally I'd say it's only the years 1981 and 1982.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 5:51 am

Early '80s is technically 1980-early 1983.  Pop culturally I'd say it's only the years 1981 and 1982.

And what to you characterizes those years? I think "new wave" as such, not synthpop, actually peaked in those years, probably.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/10/06 at 1:45 pm

I'd say the early 80's pop culturally is roughly Ealry 1981-Mid 1983

Written By: lleelee on 05/10/06 at 2:43 pm

When I think early 80s pop music, the billboard charts featureds more rock-based  adult/contemporary type of music between '80 and '82.(Rick Springfield, Paul Davis, Olivia-Newton-John,Neil Diamond Bruce Springston, ELO, etc)  New Wave or Synth Pop still remained underground though a few artists had crossover hits. (Devo, Blondie, Talking heads, Go-Gos, etc) I believe in 1982 New Wave rreally started to take off compounded with MTV popularity. So alot more New Wave acts had crossover hits. (Culture Club, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, Human League, etc) By 1983 to 1986 that's when Synth sound became more popular.(Eurythmics, Howard Jones, Thompson Twins, Talk Talk,New Order, etc) :-*

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 3:32 pm

I'd say the early 80's pop culturally is roughly Ealry 1981-Mid 1983

The end of the early '80s was about when "Billie Jean" took off in spring 1983. That started the mid-'80s, like 50 Cent and Bright Eyes being big really started the mid-'00s culture (Bright Eyes is picked because they're one of the quintessential '00s hipster bands.)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 4:48 pm

To me, this describes the early '80s. It was about early 1981 to early 1983. Music was varied, though the pop charts were in a fairly uninteresting "in between phase." New wave was actively underground in many genres, probably peaking in terms of overall productiveness around 1982, and that was one of the most interesting things about the early '80s. A/C and generic pop-rock like Eddie Rabbitt, Don McLean, REO Speedwagon, Hall & Oates, Grover Washington Jr., Sheena Easton, Kim Carnes, Smokey Robinson, Kenny Rogers, Oak Ridge Boys, Air Supply, Christopher Cross, Lionel Richie, John Cougar Mellencamp, Quarterflash, Foreigner, J. Geils Band, Toto, Survivor, Steve Miller Band, Chicago, Joe Cocker, Patti Austin...also, lots of duets. There were some pop-wave type chart hits by Blondie, Rick Springfield, Tommy Tutone, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (just lumping her in, I guess), Laura Branigan, Toni Basil, The Human League. In terms of TV, it was probably the lowpoint of American TV, and the movies were dominated by blockbuster action movies. But it wasn't the real '80s yet, until "Billie Jean" hit and seemingly overnight, new wave came aboveground, and groups like Culture Club and the Eurythmics could score #1 singles.

Written By: STAR70 on 05/10/06 at 5:09 pm

i would say the early '80's ended with the British Invasion of late '83 early '84.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 5:24 pm

i would say the early '80's ended with the British Invasion of late '83 early '84.

The British Invasion really started in mid-1983, with Culture Club, Duran Duran, Dexy's Midnight Runners (Irish but counting 'em as part of the British Isles with this), Thomas Dolby, David Bowie, The Police, Kajagoogoo, Thomas Dolby, The Eurythmics, etc. having hit singles. I think new wave and the British Invasion sort of receded later in 1983, with Billy Joel, Bonnie Tyler, Kenny Rogers, Lionel Richie, Paul McCartney...it ended around Feb. 1984 with "Karma Chameleon", the Romantics, the Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, etc., and then "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", Purple Rain, and Like a Virgin came out and the '80s were peaking.

Written By: _adam_ on 05/11/06 at 4:50 pm

song best defining early 80`s:

Every little things she does is magic-The Police
Jessie`s girl-Rick Springfield
Look of love-ABC
Don`t you want me-Human league
Do you really want to hurt me-Culture club
Rosanna-Toto
Vacation-Go-go`s
Gloria-Laura Branigan
Hold on loosely-38 special
Hit me with your best shot- Pat Benatar
Working for the weekend - Loverboy
Heat of the moment - Asia
Don`t stop belivin`- Journey
Who can it be now- Men at work
I Know There's Something Going On - Frida
No one like you - Scorpions
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
I Love Rock n' Roll - Joan Jett

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 6:23 pm

song best defining early 80`s:

Every little things she does is magic-The Police
Jessie`s girl-Rick Springfield
Look of love-ABC
Don`t you want me-Human league
Do you really want to hurt me-Culture club
Rosanna-Toto
Vacation-Go-go`s
Gloria-Laura Branigan
Hold on loosely-38 special
Hit me with your best shot- Pat Benatar
Working for the weekend - Loverboy
Heat of the moment - Asia
Don`t stop belivin`- Journey
Who can it be now- Men at work
I Know There's Something Going On - Frida
No one like you - Scorpions
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
I Love Rock n' Roll - Joan Jett

"Jesse's Girl", "I Love Rock and Roll", "Gloria", and "Vacation" to me define the early '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/06 at 1:47 am

To me, this describes the early '80s. It was about early 1981 to early 1983. Music was varied, though the pop charts were in a fairly uninteresting "in between phase." New wave was actively underground in many genres, probably peaking in terms of overall productiveness around 1982, and that was one of the most interesting things about the early '80s. A/C and generic pop-rock like Eddie Rabbitt, Don McLean, REO Speedwagon, Hall & Oates, Grover Washington Jr., Sheena Easton, Kim Carnes, Smokey Robinson, Kenny Rogers, Oak Ridge Boys, Air Supply, Christopher Cross, Lionel Richie, John Cougar Mellencamp, Quarterflash, Foreigner, J. Geils Band, Toto, Survivor, Steve Miller Band, Chicago, Joe Cocker, Patti Austin...also, lots of duets. There were some pop-wave type chart hits by Blondie, Rick Springfield, Tommy Tutone, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (just lumping her in, I guess), Laura Branigan, Toni Basil, The Human League. In terms of TV, it was probably the lowpoint of American TV, and the movies were dominated by blockbuster action movies. But it wasn't the real '80s yet, until "Billie Jean" hit and seemingly overnight, new wave came aboveground, and groups like Culture Club and the Eurythmics could score #1 singles.

Yeah, I'd agree. I'd also say 1983 was definitely a "changing" year, since 1984 was the absolute peak of the '80s, and '82 even was still a bit '70-ish, and "unrefined/primitive" '80s (think Fast Times at Ridgemont High - sort of an '80s setting with a '70s freewheeling party attitude).

To be broad, probably mid 1979-early 1983 is the "early 80s". Legwarmers, early video games, VCRs and Cable TV being the "hot new things" kinda symbolize this to me. In one sense, it's very modern in mindset and quality of life, but still slightly predates the "Digital/NES" era of 1986+ if you know what I mean.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 5:42 am

Yeah, I'd agree. I'd also say 1983 was definitely a "changing" year, since 1984 was the absolute peak of the '80s, and '82 even was still a bit '70-ish, and "unrefined/primitive" '80s (think Fast Times at Ridgemont High - sort of an '80s setting with a '70s freewheeling party attitude).

To be broad, probably mid 1979-early 1983 is the "early 80s". Legwarmers, early video games, VCRs and Cable TV being the "hot new things" kinda symbolize this to me. In one sense, it's very modern in mindset and quality of life, but still slightly predates the "Digital/NES" era of 1986+ if you know what I mean.

Yeah, the whole '80s attitude wasn't quite "in" yet until sometime around April 1983. VCRs were still not widely owned in the early '80s, they were a "hot new thing", and lots of the upper middle-class didn't even own them yet. The same with cable TV...and PACMAN was still sort of a hot thing! The early '80s just didn't sparkle the same way as the mid-'80s IMO, and in terms of mainstream music/TV they were pretty dull, even if the underground new wave scene was great.

It was actually pretty sudden when the "real '80s" came in after "Billie Jean"...all of a sudden you had Culture Club, the Eurythmics, Kajagoogoo, Cyndi Lauper, and Madonna. I think the whole '80s peaked around the time 1984 was becoming 1985 and "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" were hits. There was still something fairly old/tired and "remodeled '70s" about the late 1979-very early 1983 period, like alot of songs from then almost sound '70s and "tired" though at the time they were probably considered very un-'70s, and now in some ways the late '70s sounds fresher.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/06 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, the whole '80s attitude wasn't quite "in" yet until sometime around April 1983. VCRs were still not widely owned in the early '80s, they were a "hot new thing", and lots of the upper middle-class didn't even own them yet. The same with cable TV...and PACMAN was still sort of a hot thing! The early '80s just didn't sparkle the same way as the mid-'80s IMO, and in terms of mainstream music/TV they were pretty dull, even if the underground new wave scene was great.

It was actually pretty sudden when the "real '80s" came in after "Billie Jean"...all of a sudden you had Culture Club, the Eurythmics, Kajagoogoo, Cyndi Lauper, and Madonna. I think the whole '80s peaked around the time 1984 was becoming 1985 and "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" were hits. There was still something fairly old/tired and "remodeled '70s" about the late 1979-very early 1983 period, like alot of songs from then almost sound '70s and "tired" though at the time they were probably considered very un-'70s, and now in some ways the late '70s sounds fresher.

That's true, isn't it? Like, from a 1981 perspective, I'm sure "Keep on Loving You" by REO Speedwagon was very '80s, but from a 1984 perspective, it was probably looked at as leftover '70s.

I'd say it's much like how "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne sounded very "2000s" in '02, but today it almost seems pseudo '90s. Although it's not as drastic as the '70s/80s turnover - heck, one of the biggest hits right now, "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, kinda sounds like it could be from 2003 or even 2001 (albeit slightly updated).

P.S. Even Michael Jackson sounds a teeny bit '70s to me, honestly. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's very very "80s" in terms of style and production, but you can kinda tell "Billie Jean" is disco influenced.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 3:18 pm

That's true, isn't it? Like, from a 1981 perspective, I'm sure "Keep on Loving You" by REO Speedwagon was very '80s, but from a 1984 perspective, it was probably looked at as leftover '70s.

I'd say it's much like how "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne sounded very "2000s" in '02, but today it almost seems pseudo '90s. Although it's not as drastic as the '70s/80s turnover - heck, one of the biggest hits right now, "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, kinda sounds like it could be from 2003 or even 2001 (albeit slightly updated).

P.S. Even Michael Jackson sounds a teeny bit '70s to me, honestly. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's very very "80s" in terms of style and production, but you can kinda tell "Billie Jean" is disco influenced.

Well, it is from 1982...I think the last gasp of disco was stuff like "It's Raining Men." In fact, you could argue disco influence has never really left us. It went into dance-pop in the early-mid '80s and then into cheesy, Jody Watley and C&C Music Factory type stuff in the late '80s and early '90s. "Bad Day" could've been a late '90s song, but the high, almost emo male vocals, slightly whiny subject matter, and Coldplay-esque overproduction make it sound '00s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/12/06 at 6:28 pm

I agree Marty.  ;)

On a thread I started earlier this week called "Growing up in the 80's - It's all we knew at the time" or some other similiar title, I gave thought to the idea that when we were growing up in the 80's, all we knew was what was before us and what was in front of us at present. We had a STRONG influence of what came before us, which was a heaping dose of 60's and 70's. We grew up with primitive electronics to see them evolve to what they are now. I think with that, we can honestly see how much music has changed in the last 20 years. Maybe not by much for most standards, but it definetly sounds dated, although 10 years ago I would have never thought that.

And another interesting thing to throw out there - Just the other night, they had an infomercial with K.C. from KC and the Sunshine Band and another lady advertising a Time-Life Disco CD collection. They even had a "special" CD with the set called "Disco in the 80's" which of course included great disco hits like Funkytown, Second Time Around, It's Raining Men, etc. Several were from 1982, which shocked me. I never considered 1982 a year that still churned out Disco stuff. So, yes, I still think 1980-1982 was truly the "Early 80's" because I believe after 1982 there was not any "true" disco out there anymore.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:48 pm

I agree Marty.  ;)

On a thread I started earlier this week called "Growing up in the 80's - It's all we knew at the time" or some other similiar title, I gave thought to the idea that when we were growing up in the 80's, all we knew was what was before us and what was in front of us at present. We had a STRONG influence of what came before us, which was a heaping dose of 60's and 70's. We grew up with primitive electronics to see them evolve to what they are now. I think with that, we can honestly see how much music has changed in the last 20 years. Maybe not by much for most standards, but it definetly sounds dated, although 10 years ago I would have never thought that.

And another interesting thing to throw out there - Just the other night, they had an infomercial with K.C. from KC and the Sunshine Band and another lady advertising a Time-Life Disco CD collection. They even had a "special" CD with the set called "Disco in the 80's" which of course included great disco hits like Funkytown, Second Time Around, It's Raining Men, etc. Several were from 1982, which shocked me. I never considered 1982 a year that still churned out Disco stuff. So, yes, I still think 1980-1982 was truly the "Early 80's" because I believe after 1982 there was not any "true" disco out there anymore.

The last disco-like hits were "It's Raining Men" and maybe "What a Feeling", though it's debatable if that's disco or Madonna-style dance-pop.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/12/06 at 6:51 pm

The last disco-like hits were "It's Raining Men" and maybe "What a Feeling", though it's debatable if that's disco or Madonna-style dance-pop.

What a Feeling sounds more disco than It's Raining Men. They're sort of crossover stuff. It's really hard to classify it anything other than Dance music.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 8:53 pm

Early 80s was still very Disco in feel; disco didn't automatically die off in 1980; it continued well into the decade. Stadium rock was hardly dying off as well. In fact, the period saw a renewed interest in classic stadium rock after the punk dominance in 1977-1979. Van Halen, Iron Maiden, AC/DC.etc released some of there best stuff in the period.

Pretty recogniseably '80s' in all accounts. Movies like 'National Lampoon's Vacation', 'Scarface', 'Halloween'.etc date from this period. It was an era of early video arcades, shoulder pads, alot of synthetic nylon.etc, an obsession with technology and the newly emerging novelty called the 'personal computer', video games were just starting out with the Atari.etc. I think the main hallmarks of 80s culture were evident as early as 1981. Watch the video clip for 'Jessie's Girl' - the 'tough' image seems very early 80s, associated with tight, white t-shirts, alot of leather, and girls wearing tights and big hair.

Check for new replies or respond here...