inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Agadoo / Agadou

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/09/06 at 4:33 pm

Usually it's Jason that starts this kind of topic, but this time it's me (just because I can! ;D).

Is anyone here familiar with the original 1974 version of the song "Agadou"? I guess not - which is quite surprising, considering the fact that the singer is Canadian. :o
His name is Patrick Zabé

Subject: Re: Agadoo / Agadou

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/06 at 6:13 pm

Tee hee. Good work, Henk!

I knew that Black Lace nicked the song from the foreign club scene at the time and translated the lyrics.

It's probably one of biggest guilty pleasures. Black Lace reminds me of all the 80s parties I went to.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/06 at 6:22 pm

Agadoo was not a hit at all over here in Canada, but nonetheless, I quite liked it ... cheese factor and all, so much in fact that I paid big bucks to get this CD ...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000028DUI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The spoof version in 1986 known as 'The Chicken Song' by Spitting Image, was a hit here, but not a big hit.  It reached #90 in the Canadian Singles Charts. 

Both songs ('Agadoo' by Black Lace and 'The Chicken Song' by Spitting Image) failed to hit the U.S. charts

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/06 at 6:47 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/06 at 12:51 am

I only know the Black Lack version.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/06 at 1:16 am

That must have been a later CD, Jason. The band went through at least two or three changes during it's career. They were originally a four-piece band who entered the Eurovision song contest, leaving Colin Routh and Alan Barton to go it alone in 1981. Alan Barton died in 1995 from a motor accident but Black Lace still goes on with Colin Routh.

It is a later CD yes, but all of the songs are the original versions.  It's even got a medley of Boney M cover songs on it ;D

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 3:40 am

That must have been a later CD, Jason. The band went through at least two or three changes during it's career. They were originally a four-piece band who entered the Eurovision song contest, leaving Colin Routh and Alan Barton to go it alone in 1981. Alan Barton died in 1995 from a motor accident but Black Lace still goes on with Colin Routh.

Not that you're a fan or anything!  ;)

I prefer Superman myself

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/06 at 7:43 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/06 at 7:46 am

Not that you're a fan or anything!  ;)

I prefer Superman myself

We all have our crosses to bear, Karen, lol.

Superman was another translation from a European dance song. The audience participation factor in Superman is what really makes it stand out in my opinion.

"Walk . . . Swim . . . Ski . . . Spray"  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/10/06 at 12:20 pm

Tee hee. Good work, Henk!

Thanks Bobby! :)

I knew that Black Lace nicked the song from the foreign club scene at the time and translated the lyrics.

They didn't have to translate the song: there was already an English version by the Saragossa Band (note the years!). And maybe they nicked it from another band too, I don't know. Anyway - the lyrics are the same. So basically, Black Lace was just covering a cover version.

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/06 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Bobby! :)

They didn't have to translate the song: there was already an English version by the Saragossa Band (note the years!). And maybe they nicked it from another band too, I don't know. Anyway - the lyrics are the same. So basically, Black Lace was just covering a cover version.

Blimey. I didn't know it was covered before Black Lace had a go at it. You learn something new everyday, eh?  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/06 at 1:51 am

In Disco terms, Black Lace's Agadoo is described as a floor-emptier.

Written By: karen on 05/11/06 at 3:28 am

WHoever said this clearly didn't go to any parties with my family!

Written By: Bobby on 05/11/06 at 11:09 am

Quite often it's the only time the dance floor gets any action, lol.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 4:39 am

WHoever said this clearly didn't go to any parties with my family!

I'll second that Karen. Like YMCA etc its ones of those songs that everyone jumps up and starts doing all the actions to.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/06 at 12:33 am

Agadoo was not a hit at all over here in Canada

EDIT:  The Original 1974 version by Patrick Zabé inspired this commercial for Kellogg's Mini-Wheats.  Kinda makes you want to run out and buy a box ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/10/06 at 12:54 am

EDIT:  The Original 1974 version by Patrick Zabé inspired this commercial for Kellogg's Mini-Wheats.  Kinda makes you want to run out and buy a box ;D

Sorry, I don't share your opinion. I would never buy the Mini Wheats from that commercial. :P

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/06 at 12:59 am

Sorry, I don't share your opinion. I would never buy the Mini Wheats from that commercial. :P

The jingle is catchy. The other day I was listening to Black Lace, and uncontrollably started singing "Mini Wheats Wheats Wheats" ;D

Written By: robby76 on 09/10/06 at 2:32 am

I remember the dance to Black Lace's version. The Conga was also a kids party favourite.

And talking of cheesey, let's not forget Chas n Dave's "Snooker Loopy".

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/06 at 4:12 am

I remember the dance to Black Lace's version. The Conga was also a kids party favourite.

And talking of cheesey, let's not forget Chas n Dave's "Snooker Loopy".
There were also dance movements to Black Lace's Superman (Gioca Jouer)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/10/06 at 6:38 am

Oh, gosh!!! This song is supremely silly!  :o I think The Wiggles should record it... it would be a big hit with the under-six crowd!!!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/07 at 6:32 pm

I actually hadn't realized that Black Lace had so many hits.  It makes me laugh that 'Gang Bang' actually charted ;D

1979 - Mary Anne
1983 - Superman
1984 - Agadoo
1984 - Do the Conga
1985 - El Vino Collapso
1985 - I Speaka Da Lingo
1985 - Hokey Cokey
1986 - Viva La Mexico
1986 - Wig Wam Bam
1989 - I Am the Music Man
1990 - Gang Bang

1998 - Agadoo <re-chart>

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/07 at 1:01 am

I actually hadn't realized that Black Lace had so many hits.  It makes me laugh that 'Gang Bang' actually charted ;D

1979 - Mary Anne
1983 - Superman
1984 - Agadoo
1984 - Do the Conga
1985 - El Vino Collapso
1985 - I Speaka Da Lingo
1985 - Hokey Cokey
1986 - Viva La Mexico
1986 - Wig Wam Bam
1989 - I Am the Music Man
1990 - Gang Bang

1998 - Agadoo <re-chart>
I don't think I have heard Gang Bang

Check for new replies or respond here...