inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Colors of the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/11/06 at 7:06 pm

I associate the 1980s with five colors: white, green, black, tan, and pink.

Subject: Re: Colors of the '80s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 8:08 pm

The '80s...hmmm...

-Black.
-Anything sort of primitive-computer colored, like those neon yellows.
-Gold.
-Pink.
-Crimson red.
-Royal blue and that royal-colored purple.
-Steel blue.
-Aqua.
-Bright yellows, greens, blues, etc. Like a whole paint splatter of colors, really.
-Bright white.
-Gray, in an industrial/new wave sort of sense, is very '80s.
-Bright, Crayola purple.
-Pastels.

The effect of having very pure, intense, almost unmuted seriously varied colors is quite '80s. Like a paint splatter effect.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/11/06 at 9:39 pm

Pastels (mostly because of Maimi Vice) especially pink.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 5:44 am

bump...

Written By: 80sforever on 05/12/06 at 2:49 pm

Neons and Pastels is what I associate with the 80's. One extreme to the other...lol  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/12/06 at 6:36 pm

I think of acid washed jeans  ;D That's a totally definitive 80's style, color and pure ugliness that shall never be repeated again. They ought to call them acid piss jeans now.  ;D

Read this article from Temple News:

In retrospect, clothing fashion of the 1980s seems insane.

Neon became the newest tint of the rainbow and blue eye shadow ruled.

Some fashions from the '80s might make you laugh, but others are bound to make you cry - and cringe with the thought that there are pictures out there of you wearing such atrocities.

Clothing

Gitano, Espirit, Chic and Sassoon were once hot brands that everyone had to rock, but who can forget the pants with the pony? Jordache, that is.

The freak accident known as Jordache was unfortunately spawned in 1978 after insurance money provided the chance for three Israeli brothers to start their own clothing line.

"My mom still thought Jordache was cool and bought me a pair of Jordache from Wal-Mart a year ago," said Temple University junior Tanisha Ortez.

What happens when denim meets bleach? You get acid-washed jeans of course.

Guess? was the first to introduce America to stonewashed jeans in 1982, and in '86 the process of "acid-wash" was created.

The process was a form of chemical bleaching that broke down the fiber of jeans, forcing the dye to fade and creating pale white streaks or spots on the denim.

A head-to-toe acid-washed look was possible when skirts, jackets and even socks were acid- washed.

"I remember really, really wanting a pair of stonewashed jeans when I was younger," said Temple English major Emily Miller..

When acid-wash wasn't enough, slicing and dicing was an option to further destroy jeans.

The placement of the holes, whether near the buttocks or the knee was up to personal preference.

Footwear

Even better than Jordache was L.A. Gear.

Founded in 1983, the company provided footwear with snazzy colors and colored laces to match.

The brand went on to become the number three footwear manufacturer of the late '80s.

The shoes had attitude with names like Robin Hood, Streetwalker and Maniac.

L.A. Gear not only made workout apparel, but also jean jackets and much more.

Michael Jackson even had his own line of L.A. Gear with a moonwalker logo.

Footwear of the '80s saw as many evolutions as "Wacko Jacko's" face.

Jelly shoes were the must have.

The hard molded plastic, although fashionable, provided little breathing room.

If jelly shoes weren't your thing, there was another trendy solution to spice up your gams: Legwarmers.

This dance-inspired gear leapt into the mainstream with the help of movies like Fame and Flashdance.

The fashion statement was worn scrunched down on the calf, onto the ankle and over the shoe.

Temple senior Vanessa Doherty said she "had legwarmers for everyday of the week."

Eventually legwarmers evolved into slouch socks.

The socks came in a rainbow of colors and several pairs could be layered to solidify coolness.

Hairstyles

Whether it was crimped, waved or feathered, hair of the '80s was a major part of fashion.

The Jheri-curl, the curling process created by Jheri Redding, was seen dripping everywhere.

The look required numerous gels and conditioners to maintain its wet look.

The oil activators left behind unpleasant residue virtually everywhere.

Sofas and headrests were finally spared when both the Jheri-curl movement and Rick James' career faded out.

Unfortunately, some people can't let go of the look.

"I still know a lady who still has a Jheri-curl, but it's dried up like a raisin," said criminal justice major Brian Gary.

For those who were fortunate enough not to sport a Jheri-curl, there was one hair accessory that was a necessity.

Banana clips were everywhere - and I do mean everywhere in the '80s.

Banana clips seemed to be the ONLY way hair could be tamed.

The simple plastic curve put a twist on the conventional ponytail by combing it into a vertical mane.

The fashion of the 1980s may evoke laughs now, but as frightening as it may seem, they're coming back. It's not hard to find side pony tails and glitter.

And don't be surprised if you spot someone on South Street proudly sporting legwarmers.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:50 pm

'80s fashion is definitely coming back....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/13/06 at 2:40 pm

Neons and Pastels is what I associate with the 80's. One extreme to the other...lol  ;D

I almost forgot about Neon!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/06 at 4:40 pm

Definitely neon (light green and pink especially) though there was the famous grey, red and white striped bedspread from the 80s as well . . .

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 4:58 pm

Definitely neon (light green and pink especially) though there was the famous grey, red and white striped bedspread from the 80s as well . . .

The whole industrial thing was big in the '80s, from new wave, "college rock", and yuppie culture. Lots of utilitarian modernist stuff in shades of gray, though always accented with brilliant pieces of pure color.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/06 at 5:15 pm

The whole industrial thing was big in the '80s, from new wave, "college rock", and yuppie culture. Lots of utilitarian modernist stuff in shades of gray, though always accented with brilliant pieces of pure color.

Yep, the contrast between tone and primary colour - and what a contrast it was, lol.

Written By: 80s fanatic on 05/14/06 at 12:00 am

Definately for me, I wore alot of blue, whites & pastel colors, especially pinks  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...