inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids Fashion in the '80s

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 12:23 pm

Fashion for kids back in the 80s sorta had several different styles to it:

The early '80s (1980-1983) was still about a lot of '70s styles like bellbottom pants, leisure suits, bowl cuts, polyester fabrics. Also some '80s styles started to come through with legwarmers, etc. When I was a tot, I noticed my mom had us in those jumpsuit pajammas (the ones that had leather padding at the bottom of the feet). I don't know if those were a product of the '70s but I know getting out of those things were a big pain in the ass.  ;D

The mid '80s (1984-1986) Fashion took on a total '80s feel. Side pony tails, permed/crimped hair, soft pastels - all these reflected children's clothes at the time. I have a picture of me wearing jellies, lol. The Madonna look was huge. I think this is when acid washed jeans came on the scene as well. But they wouldn't go into full force until....

The late '80s (1987-1989) I was going through pictures of us kids, and I laughed when I saw all of us kids (cousins as well) were wearing a varient of acid washed jeans.. yuck! Spikey hair on boys became popular around this time. The whole Michael Jordan "Air Jordan" shoes were HUGE.

And I think one thing that dominated ALL of the 80s - Hairspray!

Subject: Re: Kids Fashion in the '80s

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/06 at 11:24 pm

As a kid, I had the worst fashions.  Old pictures of me circa 1980-1981, I had old style T-Shirts (the ones with the coloured rims on the neck and sleeves), and baseball caps with the fish netting in the back, and those short Adidas shorts that everyone was wearing in the 80's ;D

Written By: robby76 on 05/15/06 at 4:03 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 6:51 am

I remember that wearing suspenders were somewhat cool, and yes, if you didn't have a pair of "jellies" to wear...you just were not hip! LOL!

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/15/06 at 7:23 am

notice you didn't have girls dressing up like hookers like the ydo today( i.e. Thongs riding up the rear end.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 7:47 am

notice you didn't have girls dressing up like hookers like the ydo today( i.e. Thongs riding up the rear end.)

kids dressed like kids back then, not like today.

Check for new replies or respond here...