inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1986-1989

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/14/06 at 2:35 pm

How would you describe each year within 1986-1989? Here is what I remember about those years:

1986-First half was really slow and the music wasn't that good. I also remember the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and Haley's Comet. The summer of '86 was when things started to improve. Top Gun came out in theaters, and I remember Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" song and video. Also, Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" was a big hit that summer. I also remember seeing Max Hedroom on TV. Fall of '86 had some good music including Wang Chung the Bangles, which takes me back to the holiday season of '86.

1987-First half was pretty good, and was a continuation of late '86 (my 2nd grade year). My favorite songs at the time were "C'est La Vie" by Robbie Nevil and "I'm Only Human" by Human League. In the later half, I remember when rap really became mainstream with Run D.M.C., Beastie Boys, and Fat Boys. I also remember Michael Jackson's Bad album was released around Fall '87. The news event I remember from '87 is when a baby girl named Jessica was rescued from a well in Texas. I think the whole nation was watching the news and was touched that night.

1988-My favorite year of the 80's. A lot of good music came out that year. A few of my favorites include "Perfect World" by Huey Lewis and the News, "1, 2, 3" by Gloria Estefan, "Red, Red Wine" by UB40, "Chains of Love" by Erasure, "Wishing Well" by Terrance Trent Darby, and "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin. I also remember the elections between Bush Sr. and Dukakis.

1989-Spring of '89 was a continuation of late '88 (My 4th grade year). It was one of my favorite school years growing up because a lot of cool stuff came out, especially the video games for the NES. I also remember hearing the music of Fine Young Cannibals, Paula Abdul, "The Look" by Roxette, and "Bust A Move" by Young M.C. I'll even admit that I liked the song "The Right Stuff" by NKOTB at the time. The summer of '89 is when Batman came out, and I remember when "Batdance" by Prince was playing on the radio and MTV. Also, Indiana Jones III and Ghostbusters II were also playing in theaters. Other songs that take me back to summer '89 are "Good Thing" by Fine Young Cannibals, "So Alive" by Love and Rockets, and "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown. Fall of '89 was when the early 90's styles came in. COPS and Arsenio premiered, and the first episode of The Simpsons (the Christmas special) aired. I also remember when the Nintendo Gameboy came out with Tetris and Super Mario Land.

Subject: Re: 1986-1989

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/14/06 at 10:47 pm

Other than exact personal experiences, of course, I totally agree with that.

I never thought about it till now, but in fact 1986 to 1992 were like "half years" pop culturally. In other words, the first half of 1986 was basically just an extension of '85. Then the "Run DMC" type 1986 was really more like the second half of '86 and the first half of '87. All the way through to the semi '80slike first half of 1991 and its grungy latter half.

P.S. 1986-early '89 was a very happy time for me, too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/14/06 at 11:14 pm

Other than exact personal experiences, of course, I totally agree with that.

I never thought about it till now, but in fact 1986 to 1992 were like "half years" pop culturally. In other words, the first half of 1986 was basically just an extension of '85. Then the "Run DMC" type 1986 was really more like the second half of '86 and the first half of '87. All the way through to the semi '80slike first half of 1991 and its grungy latter half.

P.S. 1986-early '89 was a very happy time for me, too.

Well I think instead of going by January-December, when talking about pop cultural years a year spans from June to May.  For instance the 1989-1990 pop cultural year would be June of 1989 to May of 1990.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/14/06 at 11:31 pm

Well I think instead of going by January-December, when talking about pop cultural years a year spans from June to May.  For instance the 1989-1990 pop cultural year would be June of 1989 to May of 1990.

Yep, and Summers also tend to be very "alive" it seems. The best songs tend to come out then (for instance, not long ago, I made a series of mixtapes using WhistleDog's 1980 to '85 Top 40 list of songs, in that order (I only did my favorites, which was around half of everything), and the "May-August" ones always had the best stuff. :)

I wonder if this has anything to do with school getting out? Perhaps it's the mentality of "let's get as wild as we can with our old stuff and try some new stuff before school starts in the Fall". ;)

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/06 at 6:08 pm

Yeah, even in this decade (long after I graduated high school), I noticed how the pop-culture goes along with the school year. I felt that late 2004 and early 2005 fit together, and the first half of 2006 goes along with late 2005.

Written By: Electric Blue on 05/15/06 at 7:25 pm

One of the greatest pop singer/songwriters  of all time came "out of the blue"  :D

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/03.jpg

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 7:26 pm

One of the greatest pop singer/songwriters  of all time came "out of the blue"  :D

Dude, you're obsessed  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 6:16 am

One of the greatest pop singer/songwriters  of all time came "out of the blue"  :D

Who is that chick? She looks like an 80s version of Britney...

Written By: Electric Blue on 05/16/06 at 10:30 pm

Who is that chick? She looks like an 80s version of Britney...

http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Deborah Gibson

Check for new replies or respond here...