inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Making Forts

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:17 pm

It seemed like a lot of kids made forts back in the '80s. Or maybe this was just because I remmeber it during this time more than in the '90s because I was a kid in the '80s. We use to make forts in our backyard and it was SO much fun. I remember one eleaborate fort we made by using our pool ladder and patio chairs and other materials. I'm sure my mom just loved helping us clean this stuff up.

Subject: Re: Making Forts

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/06 at 7:05 pm

I used to love making forts.  Wither it be inside with tables, chairs and sheets, or outside with lawnchairs and sheets 8)

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/15/06 at 7:11 pm

I used to make snow forts. I dug tunnels through the snow and used to crawl through them.... Come to think of it, that sounds kind of dangerous; if the snow had collapsed on me I don't know if I would have been able to get out. But.... whatever. ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/15/06 at 8:00 pm

It was fun.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 8:11 pm

Yes, back when we actually used to get tons of snow in the winter (our backyard would be full of it), my dad would help us build igloos....it was so much fun.  We never really built a fort because when we were younger, our grandpap had made us this great clubhouse that sat in our driveway (off to the side)...it was awesome (it had a window and door and everything).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:26 am

When I lived in Montana in the late '90s the kids at school always made snow forts.  It was fun :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 12:42 am

I used to make forts inside my house with chairs, blankets or sheets, and books (to hold the blanket down). Later my dad went and bought some clamps to hold the blanket to the chairs, lol. I also built a huge multi-room snow fort Winter 1996.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:43 am

I used to make forts inside my house with chairs, blankets or sheets, and books (to hold the blanket down). Later my dad went and bought some clamps to hold the blanket to the chairs, lol. I also built a huge multi-room snow fort Winter 1996.

It snows a lot in Ohio right?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 12:45 am

It snows a lot in Ohio right?

In northeast Ohio yes, usually, though we've had some slower years like this year where we only had 50 inches for the season. In 2005 we had 117.9 inches for the whole winter, that was a record though. The primary snow belt about 30-50 miles east of us may get 100 inches more than us.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:45 am

In northeast Ohio yes, usually, though we've had some slower years like this year where we only had 50 inches for the season. In 2005 we had 117.9 inches for the whole winter, that was a record though. The primary snow belt about 30-50 miles east of us may get 100 inches more than us.

Only 50 inches? Here in Oregon we're lucky to get a quarter inch a year  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 12:47 am

Only 50 inches? Here in Oregon we're lucky to get a quarter inch a year  ;D

Really I thought they got a lot of snow, that must be in the mountains. A lot of our snow is the lake effect variety, because Cleveland is southeast of lake erie.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:49 am

Really I thought they got a lot of snow, that must be in the mountains. A lot of our snow is the lake effect variety, because Cleveland is southeast of lake erie.

Well, most of Oregon gets a lot of snow, but I live in the Willamette Valley, which gets almost no snow. It's like northern California, only wetter and cooler.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/06 at 5:42 am

I used to make forts way back in the 50s.  Snow forts in winter, cardboard in summer, turned over furniture on rainy days.  :)

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/16/06 at 7:12 am

On Nantucket, we have a state forest. I made forts in the 90's with logs and other forest stuff. If you go in there, there are tons of them.

Written By: lizjagger on 05/16/06 at 12:47 pm

I used to make fots and build things out of couch cushions or anything I could find. I really wanted a tree house though. those were popular for kids in the 80s.

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/16/06 at 1:12 pm

I used to make fots and build things out of couch cushions or anything I could find. I really wanted a tree house though. those were popular for kids in the 80s.

My best friend and neighbour from Kindergarten to Grade 2 had a treehouse. I was a little bit envious, even though I was deathly afraid of heights and only rarely wanted to go up there.

Check for new replies or respond here...