inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The meaning of "Shock the Monkey"?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 5:42 pm

Is this about what I think it's about?  ;D

Subject: Re: The meaning of "Shock the Monkey"?

Written By: Gis on 05/16/06 at 6:43 am

I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about ! Is it a song ?

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/16/06 at 7:33 am

Seems to me I remember that it was. I lived rather a sheltered life though; I've never actually heard it except for that little bit of it they put in "Project X".

EDIT: I looked up the lyrics to "Shock the Monkey" by Peter Gabriel. It means what you think it means.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/16/06 at 3:46 pm

The title comes from a reference to experiments from the book "Obedience to Authority" by Stanley Milgram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_the_Monkey

My guess (and it's a pretty wild one at that) it's about experimentations especially made on animals, which makes perfect sense, since the movie Project X, is about experiments made on animals, specifically monkeys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 3:47 pm

The title comes from a reference to experiments from the book "Obedience to Authority" by Stanley Milgram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_the_Monkey

My guess (and it's a pretty wild one at that) it's about experimentations especially made on animals, which makes perfect sense, since the movie Project X, is about experiments made on animals, specifically monkeys.

Do you think the Dharma Project in LOST relates to this (I think you're a LOST fan, right? Maybe I'm wrong)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/16/06 at 3:51 pm

I have always figured that the island on Lost, is one very big biodome, and the survivors from the plane are being experimented on. It would also explain the polar bears, possibly genetically alterred to live in subhumid tropical enviroments.

And yes..... I am very big fan of Lost, I have yet to miss an episode (that I know of), and own season one on DVD.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 3:52 pm

I have always figured that the island on Lost, is one very big biodome, and the survivors from the plane are being experimented on. It would also explain the polar bears, possibly genetically alterred to live in subhumid tropical enviroments.

Do you think when they mentioned Peter Gabriel in the Hurley episode, they were pointing to Shock the Monkey? The whole button-pushing idea seems awfully similar to the Shock the Monkey experiments ...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/16/06 at 3:56 pm

Yep, the idea of conditioning some to press a button, would qualify as one.

If someone was to tell you to press a button every fifteen minutes, or something bad will happen, you would.

Actually, it was more of a reference to the song used in Say Anything, and Hurley's suggestion to Sayid that he should watch the film.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/16/06 at 4:09 pm

According to songfacts.com:

"This is sometimes mistaken as a song about shock therapy,
but Gabriel has said it is a song about jealousy."

Written By: robby76 on 05/16/06 at 9:11 pm

TLC had a song called "Shock That Monkey" on their first album.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/17/06 at 12:10 am

OK, speaking as one who actually studied on Peter Gabriel for a term paper once, and also as a MAJOR Peter Gabriel fan, I believe I can tell you about this:

The song has 3 specific issues, according to PG: Jealousy, drugs, and poaching.

The first two go hand in hand- jealousy can sometimes lead to drug use.
In a roundabout, philosophical way, poaching would also fit, since poaching is defined not just as illegal hunting, but taking something that doesn't belong to you.

Therefore, it fits.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/17/06 at 10:45 pm

Makes sense.

Written By: Uncle Chip on 01/18/13 at 4:24 am

I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about ! Is it a song ?

When Gabriel wrote the song, the term had a popular meaning.  It referred to a rude trick played on strippers who would pick up a dollar with their crotch.  You roll the dollar up tight, then hold one end over a flame for several seconds.  The paper gets very hot.  And when the stripper squats to pick it up, then starts dancing around making "oo-oo-oo" noises, you have "shocked the monkey."

Written By: moycon on 01/18/13 at 12:38 pm

Since when does paper retain heat? LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/13 at 6:00 pm

When Gabriel wrote the song, the term had a popular meaning.  It referred to a rude trick played on strippers who would pick up a dollar with their crotch.  You roll the dollar up tight, then hold one end over a flame for several seconds.  The paper gets very hot.  And when the stripper squats to pick it up, then starts dancing around making "oo-oo-oo" noises, you have "shocked the monkey."

And if you believe that, I'll tell you one about how the Pet Shop Boys got their name!

Most people think "Shock the Monkey" is a protest song against cruel lab experiments.  PG says it's just about jealousy, though "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)" is indeed about electric shock behavioral experiments. 

Written By: Howard on 01/18/13 at 7:25 pm

Since when does paper retain heat? LOL

I've never heard of such thing.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...