inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Synths over Guitars

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:50 am

Sure, a powerful guitar chord may be soaked in testosterone, and be the ultimate in power, but who here prefers the - perhaps - 'gentler', 'slicker' sound of 80 synthesisers, current synth music to guitar-dominated rock? I.e. Tears for Fears, Gazebo or Devo over the Smiths/Van Halen.etc. Would you prefer to see less riffin', and more synth-computerised accompaniment in mainstream music?

Subject: Re: Synths over Guitars

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/16/06 at 1:38 pm

I would take The Smiths over Tears for Fears or Devo any day of the week, but I don't actually have a preference for guitars or synths. Kate Bush has some pretty synth-heavy music from the '80s, and she's my favourite musical artist. I guess I think it just comes down to how effectively the instruments get used.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 2:43 pm

Synths are the best. Guitars are good too though.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/16/06 at 4:30 pm

I don't have a preference. I love both when done well.  It really depends on the artist. Pseudo Echo for instance were great as a synth band. Then they went and tried to make their sound "more rock", for fear of "being labeled as a poofy synth band." It didn't work for me.
I have always felt that Queen sacrifised some of their uniqueness, when they began using synths in the 80s. In the 70s, they relied on the genius of Brian May, whose layered guitar sound could emulate just about every instrument of the orchestra.
On ELO's 1980 release, Time, Jeff Lynn mentions that he used a synthesizer to emulate a guitar sound on the track, "Another Heart Breaks". An interesting idea, but why not just use your guitar, thinks me. :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:03 am

I don't have a preference. I love both when done well.  It really depends on the artist. Pseudo Echo for instance were great as a synth band. Then they went and tried to make their sound "more rock", for fear of "being labeled as a poofy synth band." It didn't work for me.
I have always felt that Queen sacrifised some of their uniqueness, when they began using synths in the 80s. In the 70s, they relied on the genius of Brian May, whose layered guitar sound could emulate just about every instrument of the orchestra.
On ELO's 1980 release, Time, Jeff Lynn mentions that he used a synthesizer to emulate a guitar sound on the track, "Another Heart Breaks". An interesting idea, but why not just use your guitar, thinks me. :D

Yeah, I hated it how so many great classic rock artists like Queen tried to fit in with the times and create cheesy, over-produced synth-based music. Bowie is probably the best( or worse!) example of this. But overall, I would like to see more 'spartan' sounding synths - ala early Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon blended with guitar music. In general, I'm just sick of the dominance of the guitar-bass-drum-vocals set up, and like to see bands using unconventional instruments/using their instruments in unconventional ways.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/17/06 at 11:38 am

Depends on the way they're used.

Best Guitar-dominated Sound (My Opinion)- April Wine, Whitesnake

Best Synth-Dominated Sound (Again, My Opinion)- Devo, Gary Numan

Best Bands Who Knew How To Do Both: The Tubes, Big Country

Worst Bands Who Totally Boofed On This: Whitney Houston, John Ottway

Personal Preference: Bands Who Use Traditional Instruments In Unique Ways (Big Country's 'bagpipes' guitar, Whitesnake's bass playing w/a violin bow)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 12:08 pm

Depends on the way they're used.

Best Guitar-dominated Sound (My Opinion)- April Wine, Whitesnake

Best Synth-Dominated Sound (Again, My Opinion)- Devo, Gary Numan

Best Bands Who Knew How To Do Both: The Tubes, Big Country

Worst Bands Who Totally Boofed On This: Whitney Houston, John Ottway

Personal Preference: Bands Who Use Traditional Instruments In Unique Ways (Big Country's 'bagpipes' guitar, Whitesnake's bass playing w/a violin bow)

Yeah, like how some guitar virtuosos can extract almost any sound imaginable out of the humble guitar.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/18/06 at 1:43 am

Best Guitar Virtuoso: Joe Satriani!

(Long Live the Hordes of Locusts!)

Check for new replies or respond here...