inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's song perfect for prom

Written By: amy on 05/17/06 at 8:24 am

Greetings-
  I just found this site and am so excited!  I am planning an 80's prom and wanted to pick one song as the theme-  having trouble finding just the right one!  any suggestions are greatly appreciated and any other activities too(planning to vote and crown for king and queen, and do photo's with dates)  still working on favors too!  thanks all!  amy

Subject: Re: 80's song perfect for prom

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 8:34 am

How about "Almost Paradise"....or, "I've Had The Time Of My Life" Those 2 would be great theme songs.  You could do like a tropical theme if you used the "Almost Paradise" song.  You could do a favor of a little fancy tropical drink glass, filled with fruity/tropical candies.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/17/06 at 9:39 am

Both of those were done at my school during the '80s. I can't think of a better '80s prom theme than that.

Written By: Kryllith on 05/17/06 at 10:59 am

Dead Man's Party

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/17/06 at 11:19 am

Hey, Amy-

There are 5 songs tht are absolutely key if you're having an '80s Prom:

1. Just Between You & Me- April Wine: One of the best '80s ballads, for slow dancing.
2. 867-5309/Jenny- Tommy Tutone: One of the best songs that seems to sum up the '80s in general.
3. White Wedding- Billy Idol: A rousing song, that started "mosh pits" back in the '80s.
4. Borderline- Madonna: This is primarily for the girls.
5. I Wanna Be Sedated- The Ramones: This is a song, if you wanna get the whole floor jumping.

I add a 6th, in here, for the rap fans:
6. Parents Just Don't Understand- DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (AKA Will Smith)

Written By: wndysbg on 05/17/06 at 6:04 pm

I agree with "Almost Paradise"  My 1984 prom theme was "Take a Look at Me Now"  -  oh the memories  :)

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 7:48 pm

Greetings-
  I just found this site and am so excited!  I am planning an 80's prom and wanted to pick one song as the theme-  having trouble finding just the right one!  any suggestions are greatly appreciated and any other activities too(planning to vote and crown for king and queen, and do photo's with dates)  still working on favors too!  thanks all!  amy

amy: i just went to a 1984 prom and it was a great time...i'll be happy to show you pictures of decorations and clothes..
K

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/17/06 at 7:57 pm

"After All" by Peter Cetera seems pretty appropriate, though those other suggestions are also good. have a great night! 8)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/18/06 at 1:41 am

"After All" by Peter Cetera seems pretty appropriate, though those other suggestions are also good. have a great night! 8)

Actually, that song was by Chicago, not just Peter Cetera.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 5:18 pm

I liked the song used in Napoleon Dynamite for his prom, called " Forever Young" by Alphaville. Very atmospheric.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 6:23 pm

Prince-
"Forever In My Life"
"Free"
"International Lover"
Madonna-
"Borderline"
"Live to Tell"
Cyndi Lauper-
"I Drove All Night"
"True Colors"
"Time After Time"
The Bangles-
"Eternal Flame"

Written By: pumbaaj on 05/19/06 at 12:45 pm

"Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds  and "One More Night" by Phil Collins were both prom themes at my school.

Written By: Kryllith on 05/19/06 at 1:37 pm

Actually, that song was by Chicago, not just Peter Cetera.

Actually it wasn't by Chicago, although nor was it done just by Peter Cetera. It was a duet of Cetera and Cher.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 11:06 pm

"True" - Spandau Ballet

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/06 at 11:16 pm

Had no life in the 80s, so I can't call the slow songs. 

If you wanna get folks out on the dance floor - or bring a thear the wallflower geeks who are just sipping their beers and enjoying the music:

Men Without Hats: Moonbeam

Obscure, insanely upbeat, _very_ 80s, and will play very well to both the dancers in the crowd *and* (emotionally) the wallflowers who are just listening to the lyrics.

"Hey - /
I was only trying to say /
You're a million miles away /
I can feel you dancing anyway."

"No matter where you are /
I can always see that far /
You were on a moonbeam /
Of love /
(A pretty little moonbeam) /
It's you I'm thinking of.  / 
A pretty little moonbeam /
Moonbeam of love."

Get the 3:38 original or the 7:45 extended version and use it to wear *EVERYONE* down to exhaustion before playing a slow song to close out the night.

(I assume no responsibility for random acts of adultery that take place between former 80s crushes separated by 20 years during the hours after your reunion/prom :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/20/06 at 4:16 am

Amy-

If you want mondo gnarly dance tracks, may I personally, like, suggest the following:

Simply Irresistible- Robert Palmer
What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)- Informaiton Society
Do Ya Wanna Touch? (Oh, Yeah!)- Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Flesh For Fantasy- Billy Idol
Heartbreaker- Pat Benatar

I also highly recommend staying AWAY from ANYTHING by Whitney Houston. (I cannot stress this enough!!)

Please PM me, should you have any other questions. I not only lived the '80s, but I am an ardent student of music.

Written By: Sean1983 on 05/21/06 at 12:15 am

I'd say If You Leave by OMD, if only because it reminds me of the prom scene in Pretty In Pink.

I also like All This Time by Tiffany.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 05/22/06 at 9:07 am

Lost In Love by Air Supply.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/22/06 at 2:24 pm

Hey Amy-

Please keep us informed of how this thing goes.
If you get any pics, please by all means! Send a few out!
I, for one, am very interested. 8)

Written By: simmecats on 05/23/06 at 7:32 pm

I guess "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins would be a little creepy. Unless you were going to prom with Rebecca DeMornay. On the El.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...