inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Young Ones

Written By: jackas on 05/17/06 at 7:02 pm

Was anyone here a fan of The Young Ones?

http://www.orangeneko.com/rik/pages/yomag.jpg

Subject: Re: The Young Ones

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/17/06 at 7:38 pm

My sister had a huge collection of shows. I used to love to watch them. Great show.

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 7:46 pm

the entire series was the first thing i got from Netflix.....soooo great. every moment.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/17/06 at 10:51 pm

They show repeats of it on BBC Kids in Canada on Fridays at 12:30am. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/18/06 at 1:38 am

I know that show!

Rik Mayall was the most successful out of the quintet, with Alexei Sayle close behind.

BTW, Rik was first noticed in the film "Shock Treatment", in 1980.
He later won the coveted role of "Drop Dead Fred", in the mid-'80s, in which he starred with Phoebe Cates.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/06 at 1:59 am

Watched yes, a fan not really.

Nigel Planer is currently in We Will Rock You in the LOndon

Written By: karen on 05/18/06 at 4:03 am

A big fan.  I wish they would repeat it

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/06 at 2:36 pm

A repeated showing would be useful.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/18/06 at 2:38 pm

I remember when they used to show that on MTV...

The guys were nuts, but I always got a kick out of them!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/18/06 at 3:26 pm

Of course I watched it! My dad got me into it and it had so many stupid and crazy moments (the most infamous was Vivian sticking his head out of a train window, lol).  IMO it was the birth of alternative comedy here in the UK.

Ade Edmonson (Vivian) and Rik Mayall (Rick) kind of made a follow-up in the form of 'Bottom' which ran for three series (Ade Edmonson was Eddie Hitler and Rik Mayall was the hilariously named Richard Richard). The show was well known for the same type of humour and incredible slapstick violence. It were that successful they went on tour with it in the UK. The guy that plays Mike in 'The Young Ones' had a bit part in 'Bottom' as Spike Hedgehog.

Oh . . . Anyone hear the classic remake of 'Living Doll' for Comic Relief in 1986? Cliff Richard teamed up with the Young Ones . . . Great stuff. I also have the pop video so if anyone wants them, let me know.  :)

Written By: karen on 05/19/06 at 6:02 am

Oh . . . Anyone hear the classic remake of 'Living Doll' for Comic Relief in 1986? Cliff Richard teamed up with the Young Ones . . . Great stuff. I also have the pop video so if anyone wants them, let me know.  :)

I think they improved the original!

Written By: Gis on 05/19/06 at 6:32 am

Of course I watched it! My dad got me into it and it had so many stupid and crazy moments (the most infamous was Vivian sticking his head out of a train window, lol).  IMO it was the birth of alternative comedy here in the UK.

Ade Edmonson (Vivian) and Rik Mayall (Rick) kind of made a follow-up in the form of 'Bottom' which ran for three series (Ade Edmonson was Eddie Hitler and Rik Mayall was the hilariously named Richard Richard). The show was well known for the same type of humour and incredible slapstick violence. It were that successful they went on tour with it in the UK. The guy that plays Mike in 'The Young Ones' had a bit part in 'Bottom' as Spike Hedgehog.

My other half is a huge fan of 'Bottom' and has been to all the live tours. On the last one (2004?) he and a mate bumped into Rik Mayall in the street and got thier picture taken with him ! 

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/06 at 6:50 am

I think they improved the original!

I think they did. Here are some cracking lines in the song . . .

Rick: "Hey kids, stop snogging and pay attention to me. 'Cos if
you're a wild-eyed loner standing at the gates of Oblivion,
hitch a ride with us. 'Cos we're on the last freedom moped out
of Nowhere City, and we haven't even told our parents what
time we'll be back!"

Mike: "Does this money really have to go to charity?"

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/06 at 6:53 am

My other half is a huge fan of 'Bottom' and has been to all the live tours. On the last one (2004?) he and a mate bumped into Rik Mayall in the street and got thier picture taken with him ! 

Your other half is a lucky man. I saw the Number 2 tour on video (blowing up the Queen and sharing a prison cell together, only to find a big prisoner wants his way with them).  ;D

Written By: KKay on 05/19/06 at 8:32 am

Man, they had GREAT BANDS on that show...

and how long did I walk around singing "Dr. Martin's Boots!"

Written By: karen on 05/19/06 at 8:36 am

Man, they had GREAT BANDS on that show...

and how long did I walk around singing "Dr. Martin's Boots!"

I love that song. 

Written By: jackas on 05/19/06 at 5:41 pm

Yeah, that one was great!  His head falls off and he ends up kicking it around the track, right? ;D

I think Neil and Vivian were my favorite characters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 8:59 pm

They were no Monty Python, but they were pretty funny!

Written By: Bobby on 05/20/06 at 3:00 am

Yeah, that one was great!  His head falls off and he ends up kicking it around the track, right? ;D

I think Neil and Vivian were my favorite characters.

That's the one, lol.

They were all great characters. I liked Rick and Viv because Rick really was so sad and Viv was just an all-out lunatic.

Check for new replies or respond here...