inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Style Differences Through the '80s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 7:03 pm

What would you say the differences in graphic and interior design, and the motifs/"mood" of fashion (which goes along with this) were through the '80s as they progressed? Like, what were the differences between the periods? One thing is definitely that the new wave-styled stuff was big in the early-mid '80s. Like lots of paint splatter and semi-geometric patterns on white in primary colors, punchy bright colors and such, etc. And then in the later '80s, that almost industrial/yuppie Soho Loft and instant money neo-yuppie, overdecorated look were very popular.

Subject: Re: Style Differences Through the '80s (Decoration, etc.)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 2:33 pm

bump...

Subject: Re: Style Differences Through the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 3:09 pm

When I think '80s decor I think indoor plants.

Subject: Re: Style Differences Through the '80s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 4:23 pm

When I think '80s decor I think indoor plants.

Yeah, the '80s had alot of indoor plants. I feel like I still live in an '80s house, being furnished mostly in the late '80s, so yes, we have a ton of indoor plants. Some '80s type styles:

Lots of white furnishings and white couches with geometric white tables, big postmodern paintings, and indoor plants.
The yuppie townhouse look (molded plaster, antique furniture, etc.)
Lots of bare white walls with linoleum flooring and low, modernist furniture.
Sand-colored marble walls and big mirrors, animal prints, etc. Lots of indoor mirrors.
Big skylights, plaster white walls, and spacious furnishings with alot of storage space.
Lots of see-through glass tables and such.
Geometric room partitions, sideways blinds, console furniture, and folding chairs.
Bare white spotlights.
Vases with dried flowers in them.
Multicolored linoleum flooring.
Kitchens are very, very industrial and spare looking, with alot of plants.
Pastels everywhere, lots of dramatic curtains.
The spare, semi-industrial black and white look.
Votive lamps.
Lots of big black furnishings.

The yuppie-type and industrial-type looks were definitely more in during the late '80s. In the mid-'80s, you might actually see new wave-styled wallpaper and furniture covers.

The above comes from an early '80s book, now here's some stuff from a 1986 book I have:

Votive lights everywhere.
A cleaner, brighter, more new American type look that screams upper middle-class suburban house.
Lots of semi-minimalist type spacing and bare white walls.
The framed photographs in black and white, hanging lamp look.
A very much so hyper-modernist Soho loft sort of thing going on.
Pastel colors and floral designs everywhere.
Gray carpeting.
Gray couches.
Huge vases everywhere.
Quick successions of framed photographs.
White tile.
Big mirrors.
Rustic kitchens.

I think a kitchen is how you can really tell a decade's interior design. Like the famous '80s kitchen is spare, clean, Scandinavian built in Formica cabinetry with little touches of color (i.e. red striped tablecloth, potted plants.) The '70s kitchen has all sorts of colors like puce and golden brown, even on refrigerator doors. The '90s kitchen is very "American rustic"/"French country." The '00s kitchen is super-modern: tumbled granite and smooth wood countertops, strip lighting, partitions, lots of brown wood against metal and white plaster.

Check for new replies or respond here...