inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone like A Flock of Seagulls?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 7:21 pm

I'm not a huge fan, but "I Ran" is a brilliant song.

Subject: Re: Anyone like A Flock of Seagulls?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:27 pm

I love "I Ran."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 8:39 pm

Oh yes, AFOS was my favorite band 1982-193. My hair was never long enough to do it up like that, though!
http://www.45vinylvidivici.net/IMAGES%2045%20(AC)/aflockofseagulls4009

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/06 at 8:41 pm

It's a shame Flock of Seagulls weren't more popular than they were, but for the hits they did have, they were great.  My favourite is "The More You Live, the More You Love" as it's the one I best remember :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 8:51 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/06 at 10:44 pm

Yeah, that song was great. It should have gone way higher on th charts. They did a great job processing the entire song with Fairlight computer, that's why the texture is so amazing.

I've been collecting their videos fro YouTube. I registered on YouTube pretty much to watch '80s videos. If you see comments by "SweetSweetWaldo," that's me!

YouTube is great for 80's videos.  I use a program that lets me download them and save them to my PC ;D

America was one of the few countries where 'The More You Live ...' did not go top 40  :\'(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/20/06 at 5:18 am

There is a show on VH1, called "Bands Reunited", hosted by Aamer Haleem.

They did a show, where A Flock Of Seagulls reunited for a one-off concert, at the Roxy.
I absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!!!

Other successful reunions include: Haircut 100, Vixen, Scandal, and The English Beat (minus Andy Cox).
Failures To Communicate: Information Society, Extreme, NKOTB (Thank God!!!), and Night Ranger.

Partial Success: Klymaxx (minus Cheryl Cooley, with whom the band has a lawsuit).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/06 at 10:33 am

I saw them walking across the Southbank area of London back in the early 80s, but then I only half knew who they were.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/20/06 at 10:17 pm

"I Ran" is the only song of theirs I know -and I like it! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/06 at 1:24 am

Here is the truth about AFOS, and I still consider myself a fan, they needed a lot of help to sound good. When they had the bucks to pay big production, they could augment their live shows with taped supplements. In the studio, they had top-notch production from Mike Howlett, and secondarily Bill Nelson, Connie Plank, and Steve Lovell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Howlett
A musician/producer as talented as Howlett could take the very best "takes," and mix the sound just right, to come out with a slick, infectious, new wave sound.
Absent any assistance, AFOS (whether the original line-up, or one of many line-ups Mike Score tours with) takes to the stage and makes a hell of an undisciplined racket. Sadly, they don't seem to understand this. I thought the reunion performance on VH1 was embarrassing.

The real talent in AFOS was injected by lead guitarist Paul Reynolds, the little guy with the cokebottle glasses. Thus, you see the disasterous results after Reynolds quit late in 1985. Mike Score tried to go American soul/pop,* and for the fourth AFOS album "Dream Come True" recruited a raft of session personnel and producer Wayne Braithwaite (Kenny G., Billy Ocean). I bought the record the week it came out, and REALLY tried to like it, but with songs titled "Love on Your Knees" and Whole Lot of Lovin'" I just couldn't. Bassist Frank Maudsley quit after DCT bombed, and even Score's own brother, the drummer, Ali Score called it quits. Mike Score has never really given up and he may be playing tonight as "A Flock of Seagulls" in some Florida dive.

So you might get the idea that I'm not a fan. Au contraire! The otherworldly synth-pop of their early days struck a magical chord with me. It was just perfect for a thirteen-year-old who preferred "Blade Runner" to "E.T.," especially those videos ("I Ran," "Wishing," "Nightmares," "Transfer Affection, "It's Not Me Talking," "More you Live..." are all posted now on YouTube.)
Thus, my criticisms are out of frustration, not contempt.

*A venture that also produced disasterous results for Human League, Scritti Politti, Aztec Camera, and OMD.

http://www.multinet.no/~jonarne/Hjemmesia/Favorittartister/a_flock_of_seagulls/a_flock_of_seagulls_7.jpg

Written By: Ed216 on 05/25/06 at 10:01 pm

The only song of theirs I liked was, A Space Age Love Song. That one was pretty cool. I'm sorry, but I think I Ran (So Far Away) is really overrated. It's okay, but I don't like it nearly as much as most other people seem to. I don't know, it just never really grabbed me. And I always hated the lead singer's hair, that was just way too weird!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 12:19 am

The only song of theirs I liked was, A Space Age Love Song. That one was pretty cool. I'm sorry, but I think I Ran (So Far Away) is really overrated. It's okay, but I don't like it nearly as much as most other people seem to. I don't know, it just never really grabbed me. And I always hated the lead singer's hair, that was just way too weird!

I heard Space Age Love Song on the radio, and went WOW! That song got me interested in the band, not "I Ran." These songs were popular just before I started buying records. The funny thing I just remembered, I did not know for several months that "I Ran" was by AFOS, I thought it was by the Human League...the bands don't really sound like each bother, but there was a commonality in the British synth pop sound in 1982...
So the first records I did buy were records by AFOS, Culture Club, Human League, the Fixx, and Duran Duran...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/26/06 at 1:32 am

You didn't like Mike Score's hairdo, then? You get scared by Wolverine as a kid, or something??? :D
You'd like his hairstyle even less, now. There's not much left, except what he wears in a ponytail!

Written By: stbs4clk on 05/26/06 at 1:33 pm

There is a show on VH1, called "Bands Reunited", hosted by Aamer Haleem.

They did a show, where A Flock Of Seagulls reunited for a one-off concert, at the Roxy.
I absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!!!

Other successful reunions include: Haircut 100, Vixen, Scandal, and The English Beat (minus Andy Cox).
Failures To Communicate: Information Society, Extreme, NKOTB (Thank God!!!), and Night Ranger.

Partial Success: Klymaxx (minus Cheryl Cooley, with whom the band has a lawsuit).

I saw that too. I was actually kind of sad seeing Mike Score still running round with the same harcut he had back in 83 and touring with a band where he was the only original member. I don't even think his brother was still in the group.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 9:49 pm

I saw that too. I was actually kind of sad seeing Mike Score still running round with the same harcut he had back in 83 and touring with a band where he was the only original member. I don't even think his brother was still in the group.

If you look at the old phots, you notice Ali Score had that male pattern baldness when he was 24. It just a while longer for it to catch up with Mike. As far as I know, the only time the original line-up was reunited was for the VH1 special a couple of years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...