inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite '80s Prince Album

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:32 pm

I'm voting for Sign O' The Times, I think it's his most complete and impressive work by far, though Purple Rain and 1999 come close.

Subject: Re: Favorite '80s Prince Album

Written By: Satish on 05/19/06 at 8:15 pm

Wasn't the album called Around the World in "A" Day, not Around the World in "40" Days?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/19/06 at 8:24 pm

Lovesexy followed by Purple Rain

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 8:25 pm

Wasn't the album called Around the World in "A" Day, not Around the World in "40" Days?

Yes, sorry.

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/06 at 8:27 pm

Of all of his albums in all decades, 1999 is the only one I liked

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 8:58 pm

It's gotta gotta gotta be 1999

I dug some of his early songs, such as "Soft and Wet" and "Jac U Off"
:P

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 9:28 pm

1999 is definitely a great CD. Dance tracks like "Let's Pretend We're Married", "D.M.S.R.", and "Automatic" sound like they could've been made in the early '90s, and sound like they're just about the missing link between disco/funk and current black music. And a damn catchy, innovative, rich missing link. "Little Red Corvette" is a power-pop masterpiece and "1999" is one of the best dance tracks ever made, "Delirious" somehow makes "computer-era" rockabilly, "Lady Cab Driver" is my favorite endless sex funk groove (with its spoken bridge, it's purely divine), "Free" and "International Lover" are classic, almost prom-type corn, and "Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)" is an experiment with Gary Numan/Thomas Dolby type stuff.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 9:34 pm

Meanwhile, Purple Rain feels more polished, modern, and commercial (and accessible, no 8-minute funky sex jams like "Automatic.") It's also pretty close to rock, going in the direction he started in with "Little Red Corvette." It's a damn tight eight tracks..."Computer Blue" is near-perfect electrofunk, "Purple Rain" (I've started to like the song more) is amazing slow stadium rock, "Let's Go Crazy" is rock (but damn funky, and righteous...it's like rock, but less white, you could say), "Darling Nikki" bristles with more hormones than a 12-year old boy, but channeled into monstrous riffs, "I Would Die 4 U" is supreme disco-styled dance-pop, and "When Doves Cry", besides being the sexiest song ever written, is IMO one of the top 20 most influential songs written since 1980.

Written By: woops on 05/21/06 at 3:07 am

"Purple Rain", also "1999"

Written By: Sean1983 on 05/21/06 at 5:14 am

I voted for Sign.  I also thought about the Black Album as well, and it was close, but, ultimately, Sign is the one.  Really liked Parade and Controversy as well.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/21/06 at 5:16 am

Lovesexy followed by Purple Rain

Yes I thought that too, also 1999

It's gotta gotta gotta be 1999

I dug some of his early songs, such as "Soft and Wet" and "Jac U Off"
:P

Yeah   :D :D

Written By: MegaMike on 05/21/06 at 8:08 pm

Why isn't "Batman" on the list? That's my favorite album of his!

GET THE FUNK UP!
BATMAN!
GET THE FUNK UP!
BATMAN!
GET THE FUNK UP!

Written By: Zoso on 05/26/06 at 8:02 am

SOTT followed by Lovesexy

Check for new replies or respond here...