inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What '80s music should I download tonight?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 2:22 am

What bands should I check out tonight?

Subject: Re: What '80s music should I download tonight?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 2:23 am

Check out more Madonna and Joy Division. And Squeeze.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 2:27 am

Check out more Madonna and Joy Division. And Squeeze.

Thanks. I'm listening to "In the Groove" right now.

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/22/06 at 8:13 am

The Church
Red Rockers
JoBoxers
Blow monkeys
Biz Markie
Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 8:43 am

You shouldn't download any music, it's stealing! Unless it's legal, of course!  ;)

Look for XTC's album 'Skylarking' - best synthpop album of the 80s;

then the Pixies 'Surfer Rosa'

Manic Street Preachers, Go-Betweens, even early Madonna, Kate Bush (just sort of getting into Kate Bush, even though I've only heard one complete album - Lionheart), late Kraftwerk...

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/22/06 at 9:24 am

Manic Street Preachers, Go-Betweens, even early Madonna, Kate Bush (just sort of getting into Kate Bush, even though I've only heard one complete album - Lionheart), late Kraftwerk...

If you can handle squeaky-voiced early Kate like Lionheart, then you're off to a good start. Most fans recommend Hounds of Love as an introductory album -- it is great music (in my humble opinion), very sweeping and romantic, and quite accessible. But if you like your music really over-the-top and strange, then go for The Dreaming, at least as a second album. :)

Donnie, if you download any Kate Bush, I'd recommend "Running Up That Hill" (her biggest hit single in the 1980s) or "Cloudbusting." I haven't a clue what your musical tastes are - they could be diametrically opposite to my own, for all I know - but these are just songs that I personally enjoy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 9:35 am

If you can handle squeaky-voiced early Kate like Lionheart, then you're off to a good start. Most fans recommend Hounds of Love as an introductory album -- it is great music (in my humble opinion), very sweeping and romantic, and quite accessible. But if you like your music really over-the-top and strange, then go for The Dreaming, at least as a second album. :)

Donnie, if you download any Kate Bush, I'd recommend "Running Up That Hill" (her biggest hit single in the 1980s) or "Cloudbusting." I haven't a clue what your musical tastes are - they could be diametrically opposite to my own, for all I know - but these are just songs that I personally enjoy.

Yes, her voice was a bit screechy on Lionheart, lol. But then again I've heard Wuthering Heights, and her voice was always a bit 'squeaky' lol, but it's not that much of a biggie. Listening to Kate Bush I can see where Tori Amos' main influence comes from.

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/22/06 at 8:03 pm

Yes, her voice was a bit screechy on Lionheart, lol. But then again I've heard Wuthering Heights, and her voice was always a bit 'squeaky' lol, but it's not that much of a biggie. Listening to Kate Bush I can see where Tori Amos' main influence comes from.

Her voice matures and deepens over time into a very impressive instrument; it's only on the early, late '70s albums that she sounds that screechy. I really enjoy her distinctive early vocals, actually, but I definitely understand that they're an acquired taste.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/06 at 10:33 pm

Rock Paladium by the Jumbalayas.  Underground U.S. hit in the late 80's.  Great stuff 8)

Written By: Criz on 05/23/06 at 3:38 am

What did you think of the Joy Division songs Donnie?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/06 at 3:39 am

Nothing, you pirate.  ::)  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 5:03 am

Do you have an ipod, DD?

If you do, you obviously didn't listen to the label that came with it!  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 12:15 pm

Hmm...usually I download and then buy, once I've seen if I like it.

For Kate Bush, I got The Whole Story as my intro to it (initially, I thought it was one album.) As for Madonna, if you get The Immaculate Collection that's the best intro to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...