inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 'Singability' of 80s Music

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 8:53 am

What are some bands you know.etc which you really like, but find it hard to really sing along to? I'm finding this with XTC...Although I love them, I rarely find myself actually singing along to them. Other bands include the Cars, R.E.M., the Smiths, 80s David Bowie, the Human League, Blondie, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears (though I'm not a DM fan).

'Singable' groups include the Waitresses, Cold Chisel, INXS, U2, Belinda Carlisle/Go Go's, Kylie Minogue (lol).etc.

Subject: Re: The 'Singability' of 80s Music

Written By: karen on 05/23/06 at 4:56 am

What are some bands you know.etc which you really like, but find it hard to really sing along to? I'm finding this with XTC...Although I love them, I rarely find myself actually singing along to them. Other bands include the Cars, R.E.M., the Smiths, 80s David Bowie, the Human League, Blondie, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears (though I'm not a DM fan).

'Singable' groups include the Waitresses, Cold Chisel, INXS, U2, Belinda Carlisle/Go Go's, Kylie Minogue (lol).etc.

What?  How can you not sing along to Don't You Want Me? or Shout or What Difference Does It Make etc etc 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 5:02 am

What?  How can you not sing along to Don't You Want Me? or Shout or What Difference Does It Make etc etc 

I dunno, Shout never really grew on me. Even Tears for Fears 'Everybody Want's To Rule the World' as never been part of my morning shower repertoire  :D. One song I always find myself singing in the shower is 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. How can you not be moved to exercise your vocal chords to that tune?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/06 at 10:46 pm

'Singable' groups include the Waitresses, (...)Go Go's,

Sort of the opposite of what you're looking for, but...

Singable '90s:  Chicks on Speed.  Imagine the Waitresses 10-15 years later, but with a little more melody. Very 80s sound.

Singable '00s:  Go-Go's.  They got back together in 2001 and came out with "God Bless the Go-Gos".  I defy anyone to listen to Stuck In My Car or Kissing Asphalt without singing. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/24/06 at 1:46 pm

One song I always find myself singing in the shower is 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. How can you not be moved to exercise your vocal chords to that tune?

Simple. I can't stand that tune.

However, songs that DO warm me up (speaking as a vocalist) are:

Goody Two-Shoes (Adam Ant)
Obscene Phone Caller (Rockwell)
Little Liar (Joan Jett)
No More Tears (Ozzy Osbourne)
Turning Japanese (The Vapors- good for enunctiation)
I Ran (A Flock Of Seagulls)

And, to round it out- Hyperactive! (Thomas Dolby)

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/06 at 1:49 pm

I like to try to sing along with Associates tunes, but nobody, and I mean nobody can sound like Billy MacKenzie could.

When I sing along with Party Fears Two, the whole Party fears alright ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/25/06 at 2:01 am

At least you're honest about it. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...