inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Advice from '80s music

Written By: Matt Wixon on 05/22/06 at 4:23 pm

Hello --

My name is Matt Wixon and I write a weekly column called "Humor Me" for the Dallas Morning News web site. Here is a column about getting advice from '80s music that I thought you might enjoy. As a child of the '80s, I often write about the decade that has the best memories for me, so I end up with columns such as "Like, a Rad '80s letter," and "Red, White and Rubik."

Humor me: Advice from '80s music

06:51 PM CDT on Friday, May 19, 2006
By MATT WIXON / Staff Writer

Reggae star Sean Paul is extremely popular right now, and I'm guessing the same goes for his Web site. After all, Sean-paul.net is where fans can find out about his belief that "life is a gift and you must treasure it," as well as his thoughts on his album: "You done know we got to take care of the ladies, and I'm still giving you those party vibes."

But more importantly, the Web site provides Sean Paul's lyrics. That allows fans to decipher his word blitzes on songs such as "Temperature," a recent chart-topper:

Well woman the way the time cold I wanna be keepin' you warm
I got the right temperature to shelter you from the storm
Oh lord, gal I got the right tactics to turn you on, and girl I...
Wanna be the Papa...You can be the Mom....oh oh!

I think we all understand what's hip-hop-happenin' in that chorus. But back in the '80s, it was much easier to get the message from songs. For example, check out the opening lines of Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All," which on this day 20 years ago was top of the pops:

I believe that children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside

OK, I've got to be honest. I would rather hear a 60-minute loop of "Temperature" than even a snippet of "Greatest Love of All." But Houston's song about dignity and self-respect, which she sang coherently because she had not yet met Bobby Brown, provided a powerful message about life. It was like many other '80s songs, which offered advice for succeeding in life, dealing with problems, and of course, partying like it's 1999.

Here are some examples of important lessons learned from '80s music, but please note that I was dreaming when I wrote this, so forgive me if it goes astray.

Say a problem came along. Devo told us that we must whip it. Whip it good. Poison then cautioned us that every rose has its thorn, and The Buggles told us to watch out for video, because it killed the radio star. In a scarier lesson, Hall and Oates told us to avoid the maneater, a so-called "lean and hungry type" that would only come out at night.

Songs of the '80s also told us about the world. Madonna told us that we are living in a material world, Tears for Fears told us that everybody wants to rule the world, and R.E.M. said it was the end of the world as we know it. Dozens of people, including an old-fashioned human-looking version of Michael Jackson, told us that we are the world.

A lot of times an '80s singer told us to do something, like to wake him up before we go-go, because George Michael

Subject: Re: Advice from '80s music

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 8:10 am

Just seen a guest viewing this.

Hello --

My name is Matt Wixon and I write a weekly column called "Humor Me" for the Dallas Morning News web site. Here is a column about getting advice from '80s music that I thought you might enjoy. As a child of the '80s, I often write about the decade that has the best memories for me, so I end up with columns such as "Like, a Rad '80s letter," and "Red, White and Rubik."

Humor me: Advice from '80s music

06:51 PM CDT on Friday, May 19, 2006
By MATT WIXON / Staff Writer

Reggae star Sean Paul is extremely popular right now, and I'm guessing the same goes for his Web site. After all, Sean-paul.net is where fans can find out about his belief that "life is a gift and you must treasure it," as well as his thoughts on his album: "You done know we got to take care of the ladies, and I'm still giving you those party vibes."

But more importantly, the Web site provides Sean Paul's lyrics. That allows fans to decipher his word blitzes on songs such as "Temperature," a recent chart-topper:

Well woman the way the time cold I wanna be keepin' you warm
I got the right temperature to shelter you from the storm
Oh lord, gal I got the right tactics to turn you on, and girl I...
Wanna be the Papa...You can be the Mom....oh oh!

I think we all understand what's hip-hop-happenin' in that chorus. But back in the '80s, it was much easier to get the message from songs. For example, check out the opening lines of Whitney Houston's "Greatest Love of All," which on this day 20 years ago was top of the pops:

I believe that children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside

OK, I've got to be honest. I would rather hear a 60-minute loop of "Temperature" than even a snippet of "Greatest Love of All." But Houston's song about dignity and self-respect, which she sang coherently because she had not yet met Bobby Brown, provided a powerful message about life. It was like many other '80s songs, which offered advice for succeeding in life, dealing with problems, and of course, partying like it's 1999.

Here are some examples of important lessons learned from '80s music, but please note that I was dreaming when I wrote this, so forgive me if it goes astray.

Say a problem came along. Devo told us that we must whip it. Whip it good. Poison then cautioned us that every rose has its thorn, and The Buggles told us to watch out for video, because it killed the radio star. In a scarier lesson, Hall and Oates told us to avoid the maneater, a so-called "lean and hungry type" that would only come out at night.

Songs of the '80s also told us about the world. Madonna told us that we are living in a material world, Tears for Fears told us that everybody wants to rule the world, and R.E.M. said it was the end of the world as we know it. Dozens of people, including an old-fashioned human-looking version of Michael Jackson, told us that we are the world.

A lot of times an '80s singer told us to do something, like to wake him up before we go-go, because George Michael
That advice from George Michael from Wham! is wrong, I always go-go after I have woken up.  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/27/20 at 8:23 am

...That advice from George Michael from Wham! is wrong, I always go-go after I have woken up.  ;D

;D    ;D    ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/27/20 at 8:41 am

And then in the same line, George Michael said “cause I’m not planning on going solo”. But shortly after that he did go solo.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 8:42 am

And then in the same line, George Michael said “cause I’m not planning on going solo”. But shortly after that he did go solo.
True, Andrew Ridgeley just disappeared to run a farm.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/20 at 11:34 am

Just seen a guest viewing this.
That advice from George Michael from Wham! is wrong, I always go-go after I have woken up.  ;D

Haha  ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 11:21 am

With George Michael's song advice, are we expected to give your hearts?

Written By: Howard on 05/28/20 at 2:21 pm

True, Andrew Ridgeley just disappeared to run a farm.

Andrew doesn't do many interviews.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 2:49 pm

Andrew doesn't do many interviews.
Andrew doesn't do any interviews.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/20 at 2:56 pm

Andrew doesn't do any interviews.

What is he afraid of?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 2:58 pm

What is he afraid of?
Read this:

On 8 October 2019 Penguin Random House published Andrew Ridgeley's "Wham!: George Michael and Me."

Written By: karen on 05/29/20 at 11:37 am

Maybe we shouldn't listen to any of the instructions from the Spitting Image Chicken Song...  Although painting your left knee green and pretending your name is Keith is probably harmless enough

In the current situation we should probably all listen to The Police Don't Stand So Close to Me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 12:40 pm

Maybe we shouldn't listen to any of the instructions from the Spitting Image Chicken Song...  Although painting your left knee green and pretending your name is Keith is probably harmless enough

In the current situation we should probably all listen to The Police Don't Stand So Close to Me!
...and cover your mouth when Every Breath You Take?

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/29/20 at 12:51 pm

In 1989 Don Henley said it was the end of the innocence. Which seems more true the more time goes on.

But at the same time Billy Joel said we didn’t start the fire. Even in those days of pre internet it was valid, but even more so now. We hear about so much more bad things in the world because we are so much more connected. But they’ve always been happening.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 1:08 pm

Whats going on, for time after time, girls just want to have fun all through the night?

Written By: Howard on 05/29/20 at 1:35 pm

...and cover your mouth when Every Breath You Take?

And we should try to do The Safety Dance?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/20 at 10:26 am

And we should try to do The Safety Dance?
I Should Be So Lucky

Check for new replies or respond here...