inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s Alternative Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 5:49 pm

I happen to really like '80s "alt rock", i.e. stuff like Sonic Youth, the Pixies, the Replacements,and R.E.M, and some more obscure stuff like the Church or Dream Academy. Where do you draw the line between new wave and "alt rock"? I think a band like the Smiths is sort of in between new wave and college-rock, and R.E.M. were probably the first "alt rock" band of note, IMO. Let it Be by the Replacements from 1984 is an interesting transitional CD, because it takes punk and sort of melds it with folk down into a much more listenable, but still raw form, while dealing with the more "adolescent", teen-angsty subjects of '80s new wave or a band like the Smiths.

Subject: Re: '80s Alternative Rock

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 5:10 am

I happen to really like '80s "alt rock", i.e. stuff like Sonic Youth, the Pixies, the Replacements,and R.E.M, and some more obscure stuff like the Church or Dream Academy. Where do you draw the line between new wave and "alt rock"? I think a band like the Smiths is sort of in between new wave and college-rock, and R.E.M. were probably the first "alt rock" band of note, IMO. Let it Be by the Replacements from 1984 is an interesting transitional CD, because it takes punk and sort of melds it with folk down into a much more listenable, but still raw form, while dealing with the more "adolescent", teen-angsty subjects of '80s new wave or a band like the Smiths.

Of course you're far more knowledgeable about 80s music than me  ;), but I'd say the terms 'New Wave' and 'College Rock' are decidedly American terms, whereas 'New Romantic', 'Rock Noveau', and depressing Smiths-esque Synthpop (I don't know the term) - of course the Smiths were an exception because their music wasn't really 'synthpop' - like the Cure and their ilk developed along different lines. The 80s college rock of the Pixies and Sonic Youth were the direct forebearers of Punk (Nirvana basically 'ripped off' the Pixies style).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 12:17 pm

Of course you're far more knowledgeable about 80s music than me  ;), but I'd say the terms 'New Wave' and 'College Rock' are decidedly American terms, whereas 'New Romantic', 'Rock Noveau', and depressing Smiths-esque Synthpop (I don't know the term) - of course the Smiths were an exception because their music wasn't really 'synthpop' - like the Cure and their ilk developed along different lines. The 80s college rock of the Pixies and Sonic Youth were the direct forebearers of Punk (Nirvana basically 'ripped off' the Pixies style).

Yeah, the Pixies, R.E.M. in their pre-Green period, and the Replacements were the progenitors of the Nirvana style.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:27 pm

Yeah, the Pixies, R.E.M. in their pre-Green period, and the Replacements were the progenitors of the Nirvana style.

I meant direct forebearers of Grunge, not Punk...lol But they probably did influence 90s 'punk' groups like Greenday, Offspring and Blink 182.

Check for new replies or respond here...