inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fast Times At Ridgmenton High vs. Breakfast Club

Written By: _adam_ on 05/23/06 at 5:28 am

That two movies consider as best high school/teenage movies all-time.

Fast Times At Ridgmenton High is a wonderful movie,but i thing Breakfast Club is better.
I like more Breakfast Club characters than Fast Times characters.
Fast Times got great music but i prefer Breakfast Club music.
In Fast Times At Ridgmenton High there is too much about love and sex,and sometimes it`s borring.
I prefer Breakfast club also because it`s a very personal movie for me.

Subject: Re: Fast Times At Ridgmenton High vs. Breakfast Club

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/23/06 at 11:47 am

I would have say I like both films.

Written By: KKay on 05/23/06 at 12:04 pm

That two movies consider as best high school/teenage movies all-time.

Fast Times At Ridgmenton High is a wonderful movie,but i thing Breakfast Club is better.
I like more Breakfast Club characters than Fast Times characters.
Fast Times got great music but i prefer Breakfast Club music.
In Fast Times At Ridgmenton High there is too much about love and sex,and sometimes it`s borring.
I prefer Breakfast club also because it`s a very personal movie for me.

I chose the Breakfast Club for the exact same reasons.
Good topic! :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/23/06 at 1:35 pm

I've only seen parts of both. But from what I've seen I'd say Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Written By: simmecats on 05/23/06 at 7:28 pm

I didn't see Fast Times on Ridgemont High until it was on cable. I remember reciting the "people on ludes" line in 8th grade, referring to our Home Ec teacher. I preferred "Breakfast Club," and managed to pass for 17 to see it in the theater, even though I was 15. Maybe that was part of the allure.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 7:58 pm

The Breakfast Club. The people in Fast Times at Ridgemont High are sort of '70s-seeming even though it's an '80s movie, and I can't relate to it at all, though it's enjoyable. It's like a combo of Animal House and a teen movie a la John Hughes. I can really relate to The Breakfast Club alot.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/24/06 at 4:25 pm

Even though I love both movies very much, my vote would go to The Breakfast Club, as I could definitely relate better to the teen angst that the so-called "Brat Pack" went through in that film! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/24/06 at 4:56 pm

I like both. But, I'll go with The Breakfast Club b/c I related to it more.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/24/06 at 11:56 pm

Ridgmenton, Indeed. :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:29 am

I've really gotta watch both of those movies. I hear FTARH has some great shots of vintage malls!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/06 at 2:40 am

I pick Fast Times At Ridgemont High because of the phenomenal acting skills of the darling
Phoebe Cates

Written By: ragebass on 05/25/06 at 3:20 am

Fast Times ---- Phoebe Cates  ---- 'nuff said

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/06 at 3:24 am

Fast Times ---- Phoebe Cates  ---- 'nuff said
hell yeah, thanks  ;D  and Sean Penn as Jeff Spiccoli is hilarious

Written By: puddingpop on 05/25/06 at 2:35 pm

Well, as an almost 40 year old, I can honestly say that The Breakfast Club  seems enormously stupid to me now. I mean, don't get me wrong, it meant alot to me in 1985, but, you know, "when you grow up your heart dies". :\'(
Fast Times is still pretty amusing even at 40. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/06 at 5:57 pm

I enjoyed Fast Times more than the Breakfast Club.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/06 at 6:04 pm

I think they both are good. The Breakfast Club was more intimate and how these characters related to each other. Fast Times took a broader look at high school during that time. Of course Fast Times was based on a true story. I heard that the kids in the high school it was based on could watch that film and know who each character was.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/06 at 8:32 pm

I pick Fast Times At Ridgemont High because of the phenomenal acting skills of the darling
Phoebe Cates

Yes.  Absolutely.  Both the left acting skill and the right acting skill.

And the kids of the '10s will think that Cars was a movie, not a band.  Go figure.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/06 at 10:05 pm

Fast Times was a little bit funnier/more flashy, and had better pop music, but The Breakfast Club, as others have pointed out, is more relatable on a personal level. That exact same script could probably still be relevant today (with different references, of course!). You wouldn't be able to say that about a 1964 movie in 1985!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 12:56 am

Apples and Oranges. They're two different kinds of teen films. I like them both about equally for different reasons. Of course, "The Breakfast Club" has more significance to me in the way it grappled with issues.

Written By: gmann on 05/26/06 at 11:51 pm

I'm split. I like 'em both for different reasons. But I can still hear it...

"No shirt. No shoes. *No dice!*"  :)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/27/06 at 7:29 am

The Breakfast Club

Written By: stbs4clk on 05/27/06 at 9:12 am

Both movies play on teen stereotypes and cliches, but i think that Fast Times stretched it's characters a bit too far for the sake of comedy. Breakfast Club was able to represent it's character's stereotypes, and be funny without stretching them to the point where they weren't believable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 11:56 am

I'm split. I like 'em both for different reasons. But I can still hear it...

"No shirt. No shoes. *No dice!*"  :)

fast food customer: It says one hundred percent guaranteed, you moron!
Brad: Mister, if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick one hundred percent of your ass!
;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/28/06 at 8:53 am

I just saw Fast Times on DVD, mainly for the groovy old mall footage and found it in many ways of the teen centered world of the early 80s. I guess if you were a teen back who didn't know much of what actual teenagers did, you'd think they were experimenting with karma sutra or something!  :D

It's likely Fast Times was the original 'teen' movie which spawned films like Clueless and American Pie. I haven't actually heard of, let along seen Breakfast Club but will definitely check it out.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/28/06 at 1:13 pm

I'd agree that they're both good movies...but I'd pick Breakfast Club as top over the two for the same reasons others have mentioned.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 3:48 am

I just saw Fast Times on DVD, mainly for the groovy old mall footage and found it in many ways of the teen centered world of the early 80s. I guess if you were a teen back who didn't know much of what actual teenagers did, you'd think they were experimenting with karma sutra or something!  :D

It's likely Fast Times was the original 'teen' movie which spawned films like Clueless and American Pie. I haven't actually heard of, let along seen Breakfast Club but will definitely check it out.

Thinking back now I think I have indeed seen Breakfast Club - just didn't know the title. Emilio Estevez seems to have been in an awful lot of movies in the 80s - wonder what happened to him? I think the last movie I remember him in was Mighty Ducks in about 1993.

Written By: _adam_ on 05/29/06 at 1:15 pm

I think Fast Times at Ridgmenton High is more related/similar to Ferris Bueller Day Off than Breakfast Club.
Fast Times at Ferris Bueller are more idyllic,easy-going.
Breakfast Club is more gripping,dramatic.

Written By: lizjagger on 05/29/06 at 5:21 pm

the breakfast club

Written By: Darryl on 05/29/06 at 5:32 pm

By far, I would have to pick "The Breakfast Club". It was a very powerful movie that spoke volumes about what teenagers were going through during that period. It was actually a foregleam of teen angst today.  I could relate to every character in TBC even if I didnt personally experience everything every character went through in the film. (Molly Ringwald was definetly a heart-stopper for me,by the way. I loved her!)  

FTARH was a very good movie, but it wasn't personal for me. Very Funny, but not personal. Sean Penn's character was hilarious. He made the movie what it is today...A CLASSIC! Pheobe Cates was probably my first dream girl ever!!

But out of the two, I pick "THE BREAKFAST CLUB".

Written By: kbundy on 06/11/06 at 12:43 am

no shirt...no shoes...NOOOO DICE!!!!!!!

IF YOU WERE A STONER YOU LIKED FAST TIMES ..IF YOU WERE A PREP YOU LIKED BREAKFAST CLUB. bc WAS MORE MID EIGHTIES AND fAST TIMES WAS EARLY ON..and anyway..eric stoltz, the doctor from er and judge reinhold to name a few started out with that movie. personally i NEVER could stand michael anthony hall or molly ringwold..ally is a whatever and judd nelson has some sick charisma thing goin on..emilio is a cutie however...

Written By: puddingpop on 06/13/06 at 9:39 am

Just thought of something else to add to the debate regarding both of these movies.

Parents are shown in The Breakfast Club (although briefly) and no parents appear in Fast Times. The only adults are teachers and employers. 

Just a thought.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/13/06 at 9:59 pm

My vote goes to The Breakfast Club.

To me it's a classic, and just said so much to almost anyone..most people in the 80's could totally relate to it in one way or the other.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...