inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Obsession" by Animotion - the cheesiest song ever?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/26/06 at 1:52 am

This song is so cheesy!  :D  ;D

Subject: Re: "Obsession" by Animotion - the cheesiest song ever?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/26/06 at 2:39 am

ANYTHING by Whitney Houston is infinitely cheesier! She's the reason I quit listening to the radio regularly by about 1986!!

Written By: Bobby on 05/26/06 at 9:57 am

Nope. Listen to 'Save your love' by Renee and Renata - wrong for so many reasons.  ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/26/06 at 10:03 am

How is it cheesy? - that record was massive in the 80's during the electro/New Romantic period. It's not as you describe it with that pathetic word. cheesy, cheesy cheesy cheesy  cheesy - that word makes me sick.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/26/06 at 10:30 am

My fantasy has turned to madness
All my goodness has turned to badness
My need to possess you has consumed my soul
My life is trembling I have no control

:D

Written By: Ed216 on 05/26/06 at 3:59 pm

I don't know if it's the cheesiest song ever, maybe. But I remember the video for the song, and I thought it was one of the most bizarre videos I've ever seen! Just strange  ;D

Written By: Paul on 05/26/06 at 4:14 pm

In actual fact, the 12" mix of it was highly respected by the hip-hop crowd (the drum pattern was 'sampled' on many a mix of that time)...so it couldn't have been that bad!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 9:41 pm

Animotion was not a New Romantic band, I would put them in the same category as Berlin and Missing Persons.

I still like "Obsession," but that's the only Animotion song worth listening to. I heard the whole album...ONCE. Even the followup single, "Let Him Go" was ghastly.
I cannot ascertain "cheesiest," but "Obsession" certainly is cheesy on the level of Berlin's "Sex (I'm a...)"  Remember the hunky macho guy with the hair chest, and the ditzy blonde with the '80s mesh sunglasses? Plus, Animotion's drummer was called "Frenchy." Anything with a guy called "Frenchy" is waaay cheesy!

http://www.hollyknight.com/cds/animotion.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/27/06 at 3:06 pm

No.... there are songs that are way more cheesy!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 3:13 pm

Animotion was not a New Romantic band, I would put them in the same category as Berlin and Missing Persons.

I'm pretty much feeling the same way. Kind of like Modern Talking or even Thompson Twins to some extent.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 7:57 pm

I'm pretty much feeling the same way. Kind of like Modern Talking or even Thompson Twins to some extent.

Human League when Human League went bad!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 9:01 pm

Animotion are very Human League like.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/28/06 at 6:38 pm

Yeah I meant it was during the NR period not that they were New Romantics - see the original post.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/06 at 1:10 am

Animotion are very Human League like.

Yeah, but BAD Human League, like "Crash."

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 12:14 pm

When would you consider 'Human League' to have gone bad? I didn't mind their 1986 hit called 'Human'.

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 10:22 am

Definately NOT Modern Talking at all.  Modern Talking's stuff was way too smooth, 'Obsession' has quite a hard edge to it.

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 10:25 am

Donnie, please stay behind at the 00's.com for extra lessions in cheese identification.

I swear one day I'm going to fly out and give you a set you a multiple choice cheese examination. On this evidence you gotta try harder man!  :D ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/07/11 at 10:48 pm

I still like "Obsession," but that's the only Animotion song worth listening to. I heard the whole album...ONCE. Even the followup single, "Let Him Go" was ghastly.
I cannot ascertain "cheesiest," but "Obsession" certainly is cheesy on the level of Berlin's "Sex (I'm a...)"  Remember the hunky macho guy with the hair chest, and the ditzy blonde with the '80s mesh sunglasses? Plus, Animotion's drummer was called "Frenchy." Anything with a guy called "Frenchy" is waaay cheesy!

I came here to defend the track.  I remembered a hot blonde, fzzt-fzzt-fzzt stereo effects, and the album cover.  I mean, what could be more awesome than slipping into a suit, standing on a beach, and watching the Concorde (by implication, our happy couple just flew in on it and are watching it take off again). 

Isn't that what 80s materialism was all about?  Dashing off to some island paradise via supersonic transport, sipping martinis by the reflecting pool, a band playing on hexagonal drums, and hey, if she wants to roleplay Cleopatra or Amelia Earhart later that night, I'm not going to let her six cans of hairspray get in the way.  I'll just put on my spacesuit and do the moonwalk in bed...

...wait, whut?

hIs5StN8J-0

There are some video memories that stand the test of time.  A quarter century later, the first two seconds of the video makes it clear that Animotion's Obsession is not going to be one of them.  It's an awesome track, and I'll always have the vision inspired by that album cover.  But the video?  Yeah.  More cheezy than a mouse's most gruyere-fueled fantasy.

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/11 at 11:12 pm

'Obsession' is often branded as a OHW, when infact, they had 6 charting singles, 3 of which saw the US Top 40.

My favourite is still 'Let Him Go', which was the follow-up to 'Obsession'.  It was not a hit in Canada, nor was it a BIG hit in the UK, but it reached #39 in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5pQdKy9Kp8

Written By: Howard on 05/08/11 at 6:38 am

I came here to defend the track.  I remembered a hot blonde, fzzt-fzzt-fzzt stereo effects, and the album cover.  I mean, what could be more awesome than slipping into a suit, standing on a beach, and watching the Concorde (by implication, our happy couple just flew in on it and are watching it take off again). 

Isn't that what 80s materialism was all about?  Dashing off to some island paradise via supersonic transport, sipping martinis by the reflecting pool, a band playing on hexagonal drums, and hey, if she wants to roleplay Cleopatra or Amelia Earhart later that night, I'm not going to let her six cans of hairspray get in the way.  I'll just put on my spacesuit and do the moonwalk in bed...

...wait, whut?

hIs5StN8J-0

There are some video memories that stand the test of time.  A quarter century later, the first two seconds of the video makes it clear that Animotion's Obsession is not going to be one of them.  It's an awesome track, and I'll always have the vision inspired by that album cover.  But the video?  Yeah.  More cheezy than a mouse's most gruyere-fueled fantasy.

This video was so cheesy,That's what the 80's were all about.

Written By: Kenosha on 05/09/11 at 10:04 am

Two of Animotion's hit songs were remakes...."Obsession" was originally done by Michael Des Barres and Holly Knight in 1983 and "Room To Move" was done by Climie Fisher in 1988.

Of course this useless trivia has nothing to do with Obsession being cheesy...but I thought it was interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/11 at 12:13 pm

"Obsession" was originally done by Michael Des Barres and Holly Knight in 1983

And that version is from the infamous 1983 box office flop 'A Night in Heaven' which also featured a song called 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams, that would not become a hit until 1985.

Written By: Kenosha on 05/09/11 at 12:59 pm

And that version is from the infamous 1983 box office flop 'A Night in Heaven' which also featured a song called 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams, that would not become a hit until 1985.

Cool bit of trivia....thanks..

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/11 at 10:07 pm

Two of Animotion's hit songs were remakes...."Obsession" was originally done by Michael Des Barres and Holly Knight in 1983 and "Room To Move" was done by Climie Fisher in 1988.

Of course this useless trivia has nothing to do with Obsession being cheesy...but I thought it was interesting.

I did not know that.  But having just listened to the first segment of Crap from the Past, Dec 12, 2010, I'm impressed.  (The original and Animotion's cover are both included - original starts about 27 minutes in)  

DJ Ron "Boogiemonster" Gerber is clearly a fan - he's played the two songs together as a doubleshot in 1995.

Now I've gotta figure out what Michael Des Barnes is rambling about in the background before the vocals start!  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/11 at 9:48 pm

No, no, this is waaaay cheesier than "Obsession"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-aPjhbI8E

If you remember it you prolly don't wanna!

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/11 at 10:10 pm

For a funk song, that Afternoon Delights song was not half bad.  It wasn't half good either though lol

Written By: Howard on 05/11/11 at 6:27 am

Does that sound like Blondie? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/11 at 8:23 pm

Does that sound like Blondie? ???

NO!

Written By: Kenosha on 05/12/11 at 7:19 am

I did not know that.  But having just listened to the first segment of Crap from the Past, Dec 12, 2010, I'm impressed.  (The original and Animotion's cover are both included - original starts about 27 minutes in)  

DJ Ron "Boogiemonster" Gerber is clearly a fan - he's played the two songs together as a doubleshot in 1995.

Now I've gotta figure out what Michael Des Barnes is rambling about in the background before the vocals start!  

YES! Someone else is a CFTP fan. I have been listening to Ron for about 7 years now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 8:53 pm

YES! Someone else is a CFTP fan. I have been listening to Ron for about 7 years now.

I'm just stunned that it's all, and I mean damn near all, available courtesy of the awesomeness that is archive.org.  CFTP airchecks/broadcast/podcast archives are a veritable gold mine of retro goodness.  Ron's knowledge of music is encyclopedic.

Check for new replies or respond here...