inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s Copycat Bands

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/26/06 at 10:39 am

What '80s band would you consider copycats of other bands? I'd say The Fixx and Frankie Goes to Hollywood are Duran Duran ripoffs.

Subject: Re: '80s Copycat Bands

Written By: karen on 05/26/06 at 11:12 am

what?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Written By: stbs4clk on 05/26/06 at 12:48 pm

Not Frankie Goes To Hollywood. They definitely had their own thing goin' on. Blondie was notorious for copying and blending other band's styles. And don't forget the whole Ray Parker Jr./Huey Lewis law suit about the Ghostbusters theme and I Want A New Drug ripoff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 9:59 pm

Not the Fixx either. They were much craftier and more cerebral than Duran Duran ever was (and I say that as a D2 fan). The Fixx also had much more of "rock" foundation. Essentially, they were a rock group that used a lot of synths. Cy Curnin also put toghether early line-ups of the Fixx in the mid-'70s as a teenager. Athough "Reach The Beach" has the Fixx's best single songs, I'd say "Shuttered Room" was a much more comprehensive album.

IMO, FGTH didn't have much going for them, other than Trevor Horn.

Camouflage was definitely a Depeche Mode copy cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/26/06 at 10:00 pm

Not the Fixx either. They were much craftier and more cerebral than Duran Duran ever was (and I say that as a D2 fan). The Fixx also had much more of "rock" foundation. Essentially, they were a rock group that used a lot of synths. Cy Curnin also put toghether early line-ups of the Fixx in the mid-'70s as a teenager. Athough "Reach The Beach" has the Fixx's best single songs, I'd say "Shuttered Room" was a much more comprehensive album.

IMO, FGTH didn't have much going for them, other than Trevor Horn.

What category would you put DM in? I've always thought they were VERY similar to New Order.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/06 at 10:31 pm

What category would you put DM in? I've always thought they were VERY similar to New Order.

Depeche Mode was New Wave if anything, synth pop was a subgenre of New Wave.  Like a lot of artists, DM took advantage of synthesizers, which only became both facile and inexpensive in the mid '70s. Depeche Mode cited Kraftwerk as "the grandfathers of everything we do." Kraftwerk themselves were pigeonholed as part of the "Progressive Rock" movement of the '70s, and lumped in with inferior electronic outfits, such as Tangerine Dream and Synergy. I'd say Kraftwerk was the first "synth-pop" band. Kraftwerk may be the single most sampled artist in the history of sampling. Whereas Tangerine Dream, Synergy, and Heldon/Richard Pinhas* were using  synths to build spacy soundscapes, Kraftwerk (starting on the 1975 album "Radioactivity) started using uptempo beats and electronic percussion sounds.

When the first line-up of Depeche Mode (with Vince Clarke, without Alan Wilder) released "Speak & Spell" in 1981, Kraftwerk was what they sounded most like. Of course, their svengali-producer Daniel Miller had already recorded all-synth as The Normal and Silicon Teens, and fostered the synth-oriented post-punk performance artist Fad Gadget). Still, it was more Kraftwerk-influenced than anything.

By 1983, Martin Gore (and Fad Gadget) was under the influence of the definitive "industrial" group, Einsturzende Neaubauten. Where as E/Neubauten hauled contrived scrap-metal percussion devices on stage, Depeche Mode recorded the clanging and banging of metal objects and kitchen crockery, and then processed these sounds electronically. This is part of a whole genre of music called "electroacoustic music" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroacoustic), though I doubt the word ever crossed Martin Gore's mind.

By the time "Depeche Mode 101" came out in 1988, the DM was too busy touring as one of the world's most popular bands to have much time or interest to put the creativity of their earlier albums into use. Thus, IMO, they became less interesting by the time of "101," and had also started using guitars, which was a disappointment.

Thus, Depeche Mode at their best 1982-1987 were a New Wave band with industrial/electroacoustic leanings.

I was also a fan of New Order, but except for the fact that they used lots of synths, I didn't think the two sounded much alike.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/26/06 at 11:00 pm

Depeche Mode had alot of very "dance-y", dance-pop style stuff. Not the Pet Shop Boys, but still clubby, particularly in their Violator era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/06 at 5:18 am

Almost every genre had 'em, at least to some extent. Especially in the hair metal category from 1988-91. Winger, Warrant, Trixter and Danger Danger were essentially just second rate Bon Jovis and Van Halens.

BTW, do you think Duran Duran was a copycat of Culture Club at all? Of course they released "Girls on Film" in '81, but their synonymous new wave/teenybopper stuff came out from, say mid '83-85, just after CC got popular.

Written By: gen-x on 10/28/08 at 10:47 pm

I think you may find that the Duran Duran geneology goes
Roxy Music > Japan > Duran Duran
Japan have sited seeing roxy music in the 70s as the main inspiration. And there is no denying that the tracks Art of Parties and Life in Tokyo have been lifted by Duran Duran.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/08 at 10:51 pm

We had a singer in Canada named Candi who came on the music scene in 1988, the same time as Paula Abdul.  Both had similar styled dance-pop songs with the odd ballad thrown in the mix.  I remember when Candi was popular, but I don't remember if people ever compared her to Abdul

Some people still mistake 'The Great Commandment' as a Depeche Mode song

Written By: tv on 10/30/08 at 5:12 pm

Yeah I always thought that New Order and Depeche Mode sounded similar and I like both bands too. I think DM was the better band of the 2 though even if the 2 bands did sound similar. I think both bands were on the same record label during the 80's because DM was on "Sire" and I believe was on "Qwest" at the time which were both owned by Warner Brothers. I wonder if DM and New Order did any tours together back in the day. DM is still active while New Order is disbanded.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/30/08 at 5:15 pm

Yeah I always thought that New Order and Depeche Mode sounded similar and I like both bands too. I think DM was the better band of the 2 though even if the 2 bands did sound similar. I think both bands were on the same record label during the 80's because DM was on "Sire" and I believe was on "Qwest" at the time which were both owned by Warner Brothers. I wonder if DM and New Order did any tours together back in the day. DM is still active while New Order is disbanded.

I'm more familar with Depeche Mode but yeah they seem pretty interchangable. My favorite DM song is actually "Policy of Truth" from 1990, it sounds like a cross of new wave and Nintendo game music.

Written By: tv on 10/30/08 at 5:32 pm

I'm more familar with Depeche Mode but yeah they seem pretty interchangable. My favorite DM song is actually "Policy of Truth" from 1990, it sounds like a cross of new wave and Nintendo game music.
"Policy of Thruth" thats pretty much the sound that they used for the singles off their 1990 release "Violator". I think their lastest single released in 2005-2006 in the US was pretty close to sounding like their "Violator" days. Thats the beauty of DM they always do something different too throw their fans off with every album they release.  I think "Enjoy The Silence" was probably the best DM song.

I think "Shellshock" was a great New Order song and "Bizzare Love Triangle" was pretty great too.

Written By: johnny5alive on 10/30/08 at 8:04 pm

so, i cant help but ask...  who do you think duran duran copied????? ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...