inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Proof that 1990 is the '80s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 12:57 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JL6srhV8o-k&search=1990

Subject: Re: Proof that 1990 is the '80s

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/27/06 at 1:23 am

good old game genie I remember those.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/06 at 1:26 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JL6srhV8o-k&search=1990

Good stuff. ;) ;D

You know, I was thinking Hey, these guys are doing Bill & Ted pretty well before I realized, that WAS Bill and Ted themselves. ;D

But yeah, that commercial is very, very '80s. I thought they played themselves even more over the top than in their movies - it almost seemed closer to a Fast Times at Ridgemont High-style right out of 1982.

The Super Nintendo was the first "90s" game system, coming out in '91, but the NES hung on until 1994 with at least decent popularity (I subscribed to Nintendo Power for a few years, through the end of '94, and even though it was declining, they still had a good chunk devoted to it).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/06 at 1:44 am

I have proof that 1990 is the '90s:

1990  :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/06 at 5:07 am

*deep sigh* No offense, but that argument is more tired than any of these threads could ever be. ;D (Then again, if you're joking, I apologize if I didn't pick up on that - even in real life, I'm not always so good at detecting that from people, lol).

He means the commercial has an '80s tint to it. All that "surfer dude" Bill and Ted stuff is alot more like Fast Times at Ridgemont High (an '80s iconic movie) than it is like Beverly Hills 90210 (an iconic '90s thing, albeit early '90s).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/06 at 6:09 am

*deep sigh* No offense, but that argument is more tired than any of these threads could ever be. ;D (Then again, if you're joking, I apologize if I didn't pick up on that - even in real life, I'm not always so good at detecting that from people, lol).

He means the commercial has an '80s tint to it. All that "surfer dude" Bill and Ted stuff is alot more like Fast Times at Ridgemont High (an '80s iconic movie) than it is like Beverly Hills 90210 (an iconic '90s thing, albeit early '90s).
I was joking (sorry if it came off as serious!)  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 3:28 pm

What I mean, is that if 1990 WAS part of the '80s, it would actually fit in really well.

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 3:37 pm

*Sigh* I used to love being nostalgic . . .  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 3:51 pm

*Sigh* I used to love being nostalgic . . .  ;D

;D

Subject: knock it off

Written By: baa on 05/27/06 at 3:58 pm

What I mean, is that if 1990 WAS part of the '80s, it would actually fit in really well.

It's NOT truly a part, so stop lying. STOP TREATING DECADE NAMES AS SYMBOLIC TERMS AND BEING STUPID.

Thank you, Luke, for setting us straight.

Subject: Re: knock it off

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 4:03 pm

It's NOT truly a part, so stop lying. STOP TREATING DECADE NAMES AS SYMBOLIC TERMS AND BEING STUPID.

I'm in total agreement.

The thing here is that time is about development and evolution (the only way I will believe in it). As hours turn into days, days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months, things don't change automatically even when a decade is gone.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/27/06 at 5:21 pm

The commercial was fun to watch. But, it doesn't come to me as '80s all that much...

.. this does  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8lSyGavc4

Subject: Re: knock it off

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/06 at 6:05 pm

You obviously didn't read this:

I was joking (sorry if it came off as serious!)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...