inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gay Things from the '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/27/06 at 7:34 am

-Culture Club.
-Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
-George Michael and Wham!
-The Golden Girls.
-Kate Bush (big gay fanbase)
-Madonna (big gay fanbase)
-Prince (big gay fanbase)

Subject: Re: Gay Things from the '80s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 7:44 am

George Michael, Boy George, Freddie Mercury, Peter Allen, k.d. Lang, Melissa Ethridge...

Written By: stbs4clk on 05/27/06 at 9:00 am

Maybe I'm suffering from hindsight bias, but looking back now, quite a bit of things seemed "gay". I think it had a lot to do with the 80's being the first decade where being openly gay was not only acceptable, but fashionable. Today's equivalent would be the metro-sexual.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/27/06 at 9:46 am

I always thought the golden age of gay American culture was about 1976-1986. Disco, Elton John, Barbra and Bette, Tales of the City, gay new romantic new wave, Freddie Mercury...then AIDS hit and the '90s were not a very gay decade. Tori Amos was the gay icon for the '90s, and was quite despondent, symbolizing with the despair wrought by AIDS.

The early '80s were the beginnings of gay people being accepted in a mainstream way, being totally open and part of '80s "yuppie society" almost. Also, androgyny and queerness were very "in" during the early-mid '80s. But AIDS was a huge setback. I think of the '80s as the first "metrosexual" era...the '70s were, in a way, but they were very, erm, chest hair-y. Metrosexuality in the '00s is part of the new wave '80s throwback, I think.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 11:29 am

Rock Hudson, R.I.P. Who knew?
Liberace, R.I.P. Who didn't know?
???

The pink triangle logo.

"Silence = Death" stenciled on sidewalks and buildings.

Controversies concerning congressmen Barney Frank and Gary Studds.

Morrissey
Soft Cell (Marc Almond, Dave Ball)
Marc Almond (various solo and collaborative efforts, ie. Marc Almond and the Mambas, Marc Almond and the Willing Sinners)
Jimmy Somerville (Bronski Beat, The Communards)
John John (second banana after Somerville left Bronski Beat)

John Waters (he went from midnight movies in the '70s to mainstream in the '80s with "Hairspray")

Written By: robby76 on 05/27/06 at 11:41 am

Ummm Steven Carrington from Dynasty???  ;D

http://www.ultimatedynasty.net/characters/ch08b.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 11:49 am

Ummm Steven Carrington from Dynasty???  ;D

Very likely, but I didn't know from sh*t about Dynasty, still don't!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 5:12 pm

The '80s were the decade of gayness.

Written By: Paul on 05/27/06 at 5:18 pm

Hi-NRG music...(That's 'High energy', if you've not read it right!)

Basicially an electronic mutation of the dying throes of disco, but speeded up somewhat...

It was huge for about a fortnight in Britain in 1984...then we became all 'macho' again!

Key protagonists...Hazell Dean, Earline Bentley, Miquel Brown, Sinitta (Miquel's daughter), Divine, Evelyn Thomas...

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 5:23 pm

Hi-NRG music...(That's 'High energy', if you've not read it right!)

Basicially an electronic mutation of the dying throes of disco, but speeded up somewhat...

It was huge for about a fortnight in Britain in 1984...then we became all 'macho' again!

Key protagonists...Hazell Dean, Earline Bentley, Miquel Brown, Sinitta (Miquel's daughter), Divine, Evelyn Thomas...

Hazell Dean was having hits up until 1988 and Sinitta was having hits up until 1990.

Written By: Paul on 05/27/06 at 5:25 pm

Hazell Dean was having hits up until 1988 and Sinitta was having hits up until 1990.

It was claimed (and who am I to argue?) that this style of music was hijacked and made 'mainstream' by Stock, Aitken and the other bloke...who I think eventually ended up producing those two!

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 5:29 pm

It was claimed (and who am I to argue?) that this style of music was hijacked and made 'mainstream' by Stock, Aitken and the other bloke...who I think eventually ended up producing those two!

I see. Stock Aitken and Waterman actually defined their music as 'gay disco' so I'm not surprised.

Written By: Paul on 05/27/06 at 5:32 pm

I see. Stock Aitken and Waterman actually defined their music as 'gay disco' so I'm not surprised.

Although, of course, they were really butch and straight...!!

(And bloody wealthy!)

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/06 at 5:34 pm

Although, of course, they were really butch and straight...!!

(And bloody wealthy!)

They certainly knew what they were doing . . . At least until 1990. The company got too big for them and then the legal issues started.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/27/06 at 9:00 pm

The '80s were the decade of gayness.

Well, and the '70s...it was really like 1975-1990 in many ways that was the "first gay era." The '90s were very straight except for all the techno, and the '00s are "metrosexual."

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:10 pm

Well, and the '70s...it was really like 1975-1990 in many ways that was the "first gay era." The '90s were very straight except for all the techno, and the '00s are "metrosexual."

The 90s were also very queer, but less so in the mainstream. Popular artists like Kylie, Cher.etc appealed to people in that community, but they also embraced anything from Trance, High-energy tribal sort of music, 'Qeercore' - a sort of metal with relatable lyrics, and some sorts of Indie artists. I also notice there were many lesbian/bi-sexual female singer songwriters, closely tied in with the Riot Grrrl movement.

Check for new replies or respond here...