inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Written By: stbs4clk on 05/27/06 at 9:58 am

As someone who grew up on Saturday morning cartoons, I was looking forward to seeing my kids enjoy that same experience. Now that I am the father of two, I noticed that Saturday mornings just don't have the same impact on children as it did when I was their age. The cartoons that gets played on Saturday mornings now is the same old stuff that gets played on Nickelodeon throughout the week. Kids these days (damn, that made me feel old) are desensitized to cartoons because they have been oversaturated. I'd give anything to have two or three hours of Saturday Morning Supercade and a bowl of Mr. T cereal. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Here's a comparison:

1984 Saturday
Charlie Brown
Frogger
Donkey Kong
Q*Bert
Dungeons and Dragons

2006 Saturday
Lazy Town
Go, Diego, Go!
Backyardigans
Dora The Explorer
Paid Programming (!?)

Subject: Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Written By: robby76 on 05/27/06 at 11:44 am

Don't get me started on kids tv and cartoons. The state of them nowadays is atrocious. And yes the market is saturated.

Here's a very good article which really gets me feeling nostalgic for the good old days...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,49394,00.html

The last sentence at the bottom is particularly poignant.

Subject: Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/27/06 at 3:03 pm

The article sounded really depressing.

Check for new replies or respond here...