inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Lords of the New Church

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 12:40 pm

Does anyone remember The Lords of the New Church?  They were a post-punk New Wave band from America who are perhaps best known for the 1982 hit "Open Your Eyes".  Not sure where all this song was a hit, but here in Canada, it reached #34 in 1982

Open Your Eyes - Music Video

http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/drc500/c567/c5675945082.jpg

I don't know much else about them, other than they released a cover of Madonna's "Like A Virgin" in 1985

Subject: Re: The Lords of the New Church

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 11:46 pm

1. He got hit by a car, but was too stoned on heroin to realize how injured he was, so instead of going to the hospital, he stumbled back to his apartment and later died of internal bleeding.

That's the one I'd always heard.  Tragic passing  :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/30/11 at 8:25 pm

I don't know much else about them, other than they released a cover of Madonna's "Like A Virgin" in 1985

Speaking of which, their parody/cover of "Like a Virgin"...

hNUteXmBiG8

...was awesome.  The Bronx Cheer towards the end of the track is perfect.

Written By: King Tut on 08/09/11 at 8:19 pm

Does anyone remember The Lords of the New Church?  They were a post-punk New Wave band from America who are perhaps best known for the 1982 hit "Open Your Eyes".  Not sure where all this song was a hit, but here in Canada, it reached #34 in 1982

Open Your Eyes - Music Video

http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/drc500/c567/c5675945082.jpg

I remember the band  and "Open your eyes"

Written By: gmann on 08/10/11 at 2:32 pm

The Lords of the New Church were great. Their frontman Stiv Bators was from my hometown and also led the Dead Boys during the 70's. Much later I found out that my father-in-law was a friend of Stiv's during high school. He told me stories that make it clear that Stiv was an anti-establishment type from an early age.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...