inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most popular/definitive new wave band?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 5:10 pm

I would say Blondie is most definitive, Duran Duran the most popular. I'll go with Blondie.

Subject: Re: Most popular/definitive new wave band?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 7:55 pm

It's hard to say 'coz there are many different styles of New Wave (aka post-punk). However, when you say "New Wave" the first thing that comes to mind by free association is:

http://thursdays.com/pic200/devo5439.jpg

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/27/06 at 8:59 pm

I think Blondie. But, by definition, new wave is a broad and extremely varied genre that defies tipification. Gary Numan is also quite definitive, in alot of ways.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:11 pm

In terms of American artists either Blondie or the Talking Heads. Both were immeasurably influential. And I still disagree the Smiths were New Wave; they were sort of in a class of their own.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 9:12 pm

In terms of American artists either Blondie or the Talking Heads. Both were immeasurably influential. And I still disagree the Smiths were New Wave; they were sort of in a class of their own.

Would you say Talking Heads are truly New Wave? They don't really sound '80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:16 pm

Would you say Talking Heads are truly New Wave? They don't really sound '80s.

They're still New Wave. The true New Wave artists originated out of the New York scene of the late 70s and 80s. Those other bands you listed merely copied this original set of bands which included both Blondie and Talking Heads. Roxy Music was also sort of at the heart of this scene.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 9:18 pm

They're still New Wave. The true New Wave artists originated out of the New York scene of the late 70s and 80s. Those other bands you listed merely copied this original set of bands which included both Blondie and Talking Heads. Roxy Music was also sort of at the heart of this scene.

Would you say Talking Heads are partially '70s?

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 9:18 pm

I voted for other.  Here in Canada, we had a band called Platinum Blonde who were immensely popular teen idols.  They were on the covers of magazines, they were on many Canadian music shows, and their videos were broadcast around the clock on Much Music.  You just couldn't escape them.  They had over a dozen great hits, and I was definately a fan :)

Through all this success, they only reached the U.S. charts once with the 1986 song "Somebody Somewhere" which stalled at US #82

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 9:19 pm

I said Other.

You can't say that one is the most definitive b/c New Wave as whole had many facets to it. Everyone did not fit in one box.

Many of these bands were around in the 70s anyway.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:19 pm

Would you say Talking Heads are partially '70s?

They formed about 1976ish - not too sure, you can check it up on Wikipedia. But their music definitely sounds more 80s, not fitting into the three dominating genres of Progressive Rock, Disco or Punk of the late 70s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 9:20 pm

They formed about 1976ish - not too sure, you can check it up on Wikipedia. But their music definitely sounds more 80s, not fitting into the three dominating genres of Progressive Rock, Disco or Punk of the late 70s.

Talking Heads are what I'd call "indie '80s". The Smiths, Tears for Fears, They Might Be Giants, etc. would also fit this category. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:21 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 9:24 pm

Talking Heads are what I'd call "indie '80s". The Smiths, Tears for Fears, They Might Be Giants, etc. would also fit this category. 

Talking Heads formed in the 70s.

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 9:27 pm

Yeah maybe in Canada  ;), but we're talking in general...

You can't define the most popular new wave band in General.  Different countries have different bands, and different bands have different success in different countries.  

Devo for instance were popular in America, but not popular in the UK

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 9:28 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Satish on 05/28/06 at 1:44 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...