inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the Challenger accident destroy the space program?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/27/06 at 5:16 pm

During the 1980s, people seemed to lose interest in space exploration.  The only really notable thing NASA did during the 1990s was put up and use the Hubble Telescope. Did Challenger make people less willing to explore space?

Subject: Re: Did the Challenger accident destroy the space program?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/27/06 at 5:22 pm

During the 1980s, people seemed to lose interest in space exploration.  The only really notable thing NASA did during the 1990s was put up and use the Hubble Telescope. Did Challenger make people less willing to explore space?

No, I think it made them get a spine.  The Challenger wasn't ready to go, but the Reagan team wanted it to go for PR.  The hurried everything up to accomodate and that is one of the reasons for the disaster.  We had hoped that we wouldn't see anything like it again, but again it did happen when the Columbia happened.  There will be disasters again, they will learn from the mistakes, and there will always be a space program. 

Subject: Re: Did the Challenger accident destroy the space program?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/06 at 8:21 pm

I had not heard the Reagan Administration pushed the lift-off for PR, but it doesn't surprise me. Christa McAuliffe, a public school teacher from New Hampshire, was along for the ride, and they were making a big to-do about that.

I do remember Reagan hamming it up on TV that afternoon.

The disaster did  spur NASA to take a heck of a lot more care preparing for missions. A space shot requires total perfection every time. The problem is humans are imperfect by nature, thus the demise of the Columbia in 2002.

Check for new replies or respond here...